Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Que Sirens on FDNY rigs

48 posts in this topic

Heard rumor that the main reason there are no Q's is because Seagrave would void the warranty. Apparently a blind eye is turned if a company adds a Q but it MUST be removed before it comes into the shop. If it comes into the shops with the Q still on it will be removed without being returned to the company. I'd hate to forget it and be out $2200.

Just a little info on the topic of Federal Q's. If i am not mistaken, the Q on Squad-18 in Manhattan was donated by the Elmsford Fire Department in memory of FF Andy Fredericks. He was the first speaker at the now annual Elmsford FD seminar & an integral part in getting the Seminars off the ground. I believe that he always loved the Q siren (as most of us do) & as a tribute, the Elmsford FD donated one to the members of Squad-18, where Andy worked.

I'd have to say hands down, as many of you have said, cost is probably the #1 reason why FDNY rigs are not outfitted with Q's. They go for 2 or $3,000 if i am not mistaken. I love the Q as much as the next guy, but they may not be the best choice for the FDNY. As DMA stated, the sound can "bounce" around and throw people off. Aside form the cost, Federal Q's are a little too much for FDNY rigs IMO. But i will admit, i love when i catch a FDNY rig with that beautiful, unmistakable, chrome Q on the bumber lol! I was at the Auto show at the Javits Center recently and ENGINE-34 drove by and it had a "true" Q on the bumper, definately impressive!

BFD1054 is correct. We in the Elmsford FD donated a Q-siren to Squad 18 in memory of the late Lieut Andy Fredericks. There were problems with the FDNY shop mechanics over its drain on the electrical system, and it was taken off the rig. It may have been re-installed, but I'm not sure.

Stay safe,

Fireman488 :D

I remember being mid manhattan when they had the old federal 28's and you had to hold your ears bcause the noise would echo off the buildings :censored:

BFD1054 is correct.  We in the Elmsford FD donated a Q-siren to Squad 18 in memory of the late Lieut Andy Fredericks.  There were problems with the FDNY shop mechanics over its drain on the electrical system, and it was taken off the rig.  It may been re-installed, but I'm not sure.

Stay safe,

Fireman488  :D

It was re-installed, heard em on the radio the other day.

I just checked the Federal Signal Website.

They list the QB2 for $1,960.

It is an expensive item. Multiple that by a couple of hundred and it does add up to a considerable amount.

I understand someone - Federal, I presume - is manufacturing an electronic siren that sounds like a Q. I believe Ladder 4 has one. Does anyone know??

We have a new EQ2B on our new Seagrave rig , it's real loud just like the mechanical , the problem is when you have a mechanical Q you usually have an electronic siren also as back up (wale & yelp) so you can have both going at the same time (Sounds Awsome As You All Know). The new EQ2B has everything built into it so you can only have one sound going at a time (Lame) plus you dont see the typical Q on the bumper , these are 200w speakers behind the grill. They do use ALOT less juice but next time were going with the MECHANICAL Q

Ladder 4 does indeed have a mechanical siren.

FDNY companies that have federals wire them up themselves. However most companies don't want to deal with the hassel of taking them off everytime the rig goes in for service or repairs. Seagrave voids the warrenty on the rig if they find any drilled holes or added wires on the apparatus. Then the company gets in trouble.

help a dumb aussie out here what the hell is a Q siren,over here in sydney we have the same siren on all rigs,no idea what the brand is but it makes a wailing noise a yelp yelp and a hew haw sound,normally on wail but when about to go though traffic lights etc the officer usually changes the pitch to yelp or hew haw.[

you can here it wailing in the backround

http://media.putfile.com/MVI_001742

you can here it wailing in the backround

http://media.putfile.com/MVI_001742

Aussie George

The "Que" that everyone is referring to is a model of siren made by Federal Signal. It's been around for decades and is one of the most recognizable sounds in the American fire service. Rarely do you see on on a piece of apparatus that isn't fire related (Police and EMS for example rarely have them). The technical name is a Federal Q2B. It is a very large electric motor that spins a fan blade inside a protective and decerative schroud. The fan blade draws air in one side and shoots it out the other. It creates a distinctive sound that sounds like an old air raid siren (on a smaller scale) They are usually operated by a switch mounted on the floor of the cab on both the drivers and officers side. Step on the switch and the siren with spool up to speed and begin to scream. Let off the switch and the siren growls on the way down. Typically they are mounted on the front bumper of fire apparatus with a decerative chrome shroud that covers the fan and a cover for the electric motor that is chrome as well. Occasionally they are mounted into the front grille of the apparatus with only the fan and schroud exposed and the motor conceled in the body of the apparatus.

The product web link is below.

http://www.fedsig.com/products/index.php?id=111

Edited by mfc2257

I think we should send one down to our Aussie friend and have him put it on his rig. I think Junkie would be addicted to the sound!!

Junkie they are a very distinctive Sound. Also they did a test a few years ago on the news. I can't remember if it was national or local but it was testing different sirens and air horns with people in theire car, windows rolled up and the radio on at a good decible. The 2QB beat out every warnign device since it was the only one that could be heard over the radio in the car while the truck was at least 5 car lengths away. All the electronic sirens could not be heard until the truck was right up next to or directly behind the car. The test was actually done to show drivers how alert they should be behind the wheel.

Electrics F-ing blow. I was spoiled with the Q on my engine, and never appreciated it till I first had to ride an ambulance with just the POS eletric. People don't move until you are right on their a**. Even if someone doesn't know what the hell the Q is, it sure as hell gets their attention. And for all of those who say that the Q confuses drivers as to the direction its comming from, thats only cause the operator wails on the Q too hard for too long. Vary the the Q and it allows peopel to pick up on the direction you're comming from.

Sadly, Q2Bs are a dying breed in my district. We only have 2 left. One is on our Tower, the other on one of the engines from another house. Our new engines come with, I believe the EQ2B, but nothing will ever compare to the real deal!!!

I think we should send one down to our Aussie friend and have him put it on his rig.  I think Junkie would be addicted to the sound!!

Junkie they are a very distinctive Sound.  Also they did a test a few years ago on the news.  I can't remember if it was national or local but it was testing different sirens and air horns with people in theire car, windows rolled up and the radio on at a good decible.  The 2QB beat out every warnign device since it was the only one that could be heard over the radio in the car while the truck was at least 5 car lengths away.  All the electronic sirens could not be heard until the truck was right up next to or directly behind the car.  The test was actually done to show drivers how alert they should be behind the wheel.

I absolutly love that sound lol, im already addicted. Im very upset however, because my dept down here in fl wont put them on the rigs because of price...they also wont let me wear my new yorker helmet eather, but dont get me started on that, i might have a stroke.

Someone in my dept actually did a little test on his own. At 2 intersections he did to different things, first intersection, packed with people, he laid on everysingle siren and airhorn we had, people got confused and traffic didnt know which way to go...bigger jam. The next intersection, same amount of traffic, he gave a quick tap on the electric horn and the air horn as well as a small welp from the Federal, people pulled over quickly to the right and got out of our way fast.

Moral of the story, dont drive like a flipping bat outta hell / siren junkie on the way to the call, it gets people freaked out.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

And junkie you know what else is bad too. Most driver's ed coursed only talk about emergency apparatus only one in the course for like 10 minutes (just approx. only). Do you know how many people in the U.S. alone know when to pull over to ther right per DOT??? not a lot. Of course we could start another topic about this one.

And junkie you know what else is bad too.  Most driver's ed coursed only talk about emergency apparatus only one in the course for like 10 minutes (just approx. only).  Do you know how many people in the U.S. alone know when to pull over to ther right per DOT???  not a lot.  Of course we could start another topic about this one.

I got a speeding ticket a while back (dont ask) and went to drivers ed. We had to say our pet peeves about driving. Everyone's were, tail gateing, speeding, all the answers the teacher gets day in and out. I said "My pet peeve comes from a different perspective...when people dont pull over to the right for emergency vehicals. When you dont pull over and come to a COMPLEATE stop, it makes the driving for us 10000x harder, plus extreamly dangerous for you, me and everyone else around us." We proceeded to have a 10 min discussion on this topic. I was quite pleased.

Edited by EMSJunkie712