Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Que Sirens on FDNY rigs

48 posts in this topic

I have noticed that FDNY rigs do not have Que Sirens. Any reason why??? :-k

There are a handful of FDNY rigs that have Federal Q2A and Q2B sirens as well as some older mechanical designs. If I recall, they aren't standard issue due to their cost at several thousand dollars each however I believe that some units have petitioned for their need to supplement their warning systems due to the area that they are in (ie heavy highway use or some other situation).

Other units some of the guys simply pitch in to buy a used one.

Truck 4 has a mechanical siren as well as Truck 13 if I remeber correctly.

Many of them are wired up by the members. They haven't been standard since the late 70's.

Sometimes it may not be right for the area they're in. If it's loud sound is bouncing off the buildings, people may get used to not pulling over bc they never see a fire engine bc its a few streets over.

Im all for the Q tho. Sounds great, looks good, and it makes the apparatus :) LOL

Yeah - if you ever see a green honda accord with a Federal Q sticking out the grille - thats DMA

It's also nice to see the locals covering their ears when the rig goes by.

I think a Truck in the Bronx adorns one that once worked around my area..... :-k

I would say the cost is the major factor in why they don't have them. The ones that do might have been put there by members that got a "deal" on one.

It's not only price, but electrical usage. If I remember correctly, a Q uses an insanely large amount of juice at full scream. Standard alternators on some engines could not be able to handle the added juice. So I've been told.

Yes, I believe you are correct - I remember before E119 got upgraded to all strobe/led lights, there was a period of time where if you hit the Q full blast, the lights would cut out from the power draw.

There is a engine on the west side of manhattan in the 40's that has a Q. It sounds bad a** coming down the canyons.

4 Truck has one....I don't think E54 does......Engine 40, 35 Truck, Squad 18, Engine 34, and 21 Truck are just some of the apparatus I know have Q's.

Thanx for the correction, been a while since I dispatched Manhattan regularly.

Has anyone heard they might be switching to the EQ2b siren? I think Sq-61 and E-283 have them.

help a dumb aussie out here what the hell is a Q siren,over here in sydney we have the same siren on all rigs,no idea what the brand is but it makes a wailing noise a yelp yelp and a hew haw sound,normally on wail but when about to go though traffic lights etc the officer usually changes the pitch to yelp or hew haw.[

The "Q" siren has been around for ages...it's mechanical...you press the switch and sounds like an air raid siren...if you know what that sounds like......It's the American Fire Engine trademark basically, for lack of a better explination.

Just to add more......we have on on Squad 288 and there is one on Squad 270 to.....

]

Has  anyone heard they might be switching to the EQ2b siren? I think Sq-61 and E-283 have them.

For some reason they just don't sound the same - it's like a whimpy, wannabe Q

mohegan engines 258 and 257 have the eQ2bs and they sound like dying cats. i personaly love the way the REAL q-siren sounds and i think all firetrucks should have one. i

The "Q" siren has been around for ages...it's mechanical...you press the switch and sounds like an air raid siren...if you know what that sounds like......It's the American Fire Engine trademark basically, for lack of a better explination.

u dont press a switch.there are pedals on the passenger/capitain/leutenent seat. but u could hit a switch to wind it down or turn it of.oh yeah the australlian dude that was askin what siren the siren. the sirens in most foreign countries have electronic sirens. the new tillers and engines here in philly have a smaller looking q-siren.that is because federal signal also produces an electronic version of it, but it is louder and sounds almost the same as the mechanical version. fatness92@yahoo.com

Our department has about 15 trucks with the EQ2B and they do wind down like a real Q, however, the sound is not the same. We also have about 20 trucks with the Whelen Xecuter and it doesn't sound similar at all. Our older (pre 1997) trucks as well as all our new trucks have the real deal...can't beat it.

Also, the activation is just a switch of any kind. SOmeone mentioned it's only a foot switch. Our older trucks had a foot switch for the driver and officer as well as a console switch and the horn button all wound the Q.

The MAJOR reason for FDNY using a standard Federal Signal PA300 is all about cost. Regardless of a volume discount the city may recieve, the Q2b or EQ2 is still around a thousand dollars more. If you were to equip the entire front line fleet with them it could cost several hundred thousand dollars more than the electric sirens. Thats a lot extra to spend on something that isn't very much more than, forgive the pun, "bells and whistles". Don't get me wrong, nothing beats the sound of a Q siren, but its tough to justify a 6 figure increase on a budget line for a different kind of noise.

Don't know if this was mentioned--the enormous electrical load the "Real" Q uses-Alot of amps!!! Trucks being all electronic nowadays--just an item for thought--BUt the fact still remains--NOTHING beats the original--mechanical--Q2b

Don't know if this was mentioned--the enormous electrical load the "Real" Q uses-Alot of amps!!! Trucks being all electronic nowadays--just an item for thought--BUt the fact still remains--NOTHING beats the original--mechanical--Q2b

100-120 amps. Shouldn't be too big of a factor as along as you spec a minimum 260 amp alternator (320 preferably), don't have a Telma retarder (another 200 AMPS) and dedicate 2 batteries SOLELY for operation of the Allison.

Very true--maybe shed some halogen and strobes and go L.E.D. as well. The key is to be on top of the manufacturer--I know from experiance--a little more money up front for LED saves a lot of nightmares(electrical wise) down the road.

Oh yea--most upper level Maunfacturer's have 1 battery dedicated to the DDEC(for Detroit's) or similar "brain"

New FDNY rigs are being delivered with all LED lighting now, still doesn't help the Q-siren argument, too much money.

After seeing the costs of both--I have to agree--they are really pricy!!