Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huzzie59

Tappan Zee Bridge

9 posts in this topic

Rumor has it that the Thruway Authority has, as part of the next Re-decking Project, details to install fencing along both sides for the full length of the bridge.

Mike, hopefully it will deter some people who are thinking about jumping. Unfortunately, if they really are committed to jumping, they will find a way or go somewhere else.

I think the fence will be an immense help. Not so much for jumpers, as already mentioned, they will still find a way. Rather, when the bridge finally hits it's breaking point and crumbles/collapses, it will give motorists something to cling to while awaiting rescue.

xtreme, helicopper and ny10570 like this

I think the fence will be an immense help. Not so much for jumpers, as already mentioned, they will still find a way. Rather, when the bridge finally hits it's breaking point and crumbles/collapses, it will give motorists something to cling to while awaiting rescue.

Agreed with that. I know that I travel the bridge enough to say that I would not mind clinging to the fence lol. Hopefully it will also help slow down the jumper rate.

Have they commited to a plan to replace the bridge, or has the NYS economy squashed that?

Have they commited to a plan to replace the bridge, or has the NYS economy squashed that?

No not yet. Still studying alternatives........forever.

http://www.tzbsite.com/

I liked the plan that had a walkway on it. That way jumpers could park on either side and not hinder traffic. It is amazing that on the one hand they are willing to spend $$ on a fence while on the other they want to make it easier to get near the edge.

I liked the plan that had a walkway on it. That way jumpers could park on either side and not hinder traffic. It is amazing that on the one hand they are willing to spend $$ on a fence while on the other they want to make it easier to get near the edge.

There are pedestrian walkways on many other bridges, including some notable ones like the Brooklyn, GW, and Newburgh Beacon, but they seem to have less of a suicide issue than the TZ. I wonder if that's because of the obscene amount of publicity the jumpers off the TZ get from our local media outlets?

There are pedestrian walkways on many other bridges, including some notable ones like the Brooklyn, GW, and Newburgh Beacon, but they seem to have less of a suicide issue than the TZ. I wonder if that's because of the obscene amount of publicity the jumpers off the TZ get from our local media outlets?

I don't know if thats it, but from the Brooklyn Bridge walkway its about 33 feet to the edge of the bridge. If you jump off the walkway its about 15' down to the road way & then you get hit by a truck.