Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M' Ave

Member Ratings

46 posts in this topic

Exactly. Popular posts and threads get the most reps. And most of the posts/members that do deserve them. However, since this thread, now some members are trying to stir the pot I see with the point system and I am in the process of banning those members from the rep system.

How many is "so many" people are questioning the need for negative points? I see just as many for as not for.

Also, how is this, in any way, a "pissing match"? Can you please cite examples?

And don't blame us for creating a pissing match, we obviously promote working together, it's members like you who have to make it about choosing "sides" that cause "pissing matches".

I am not doing this point system maliciously, I try to do what's best for the forum. I strongly like this system, and the most knowledgeable members who make quality posts, or post good IA's or photos, are the ones that are getting the positive points. This is a good way to reconize them for that.I am still evalutating the negative point system as I stated earlier as requested by several members who asked me to give it a second chance.

I like the system as well for recognising positive posts, I just don't see a need to have Negative Points all they are is a weapon that can be used against some one.

Explain what I said that deserved negative points in this post:

This can be very true. There is a HUGE differance between Paid Staff and Professional Staffing.

I know several Professional Fire Fighters both Paid and Volunteer and unfortunitly for the entire Fire Fighting career I know some Paid unprofessional Fire Fighters as well.

If its a lie I will delete it however prove its a lie if you can, But in no way was it ment as vollunteer VS career statement simply stating a fact.

Edited by 64FFMJK

Do away with the concept of positive and or negative ratings. Serves no purpose.

Probably one of the best posts I have read in this entire thread I would give it plus one if I could

I like the system as well for recognising positive posts, I just don't see a need to have Negative Points all they are is a weapon that can be used against some one.

Explain what I said that deserved negative points in this post:

If its a lie I will delete it however prove its a lie if you can, But in no way was it ment as vollunteer VS career statement simply stating a fact.

Your post was true, people just need to realize that the world isn't cut and dry about groups of people, pick anything at all, - firefighting, baseball, politics, no matter what it is, there are good and bad people within the organization. It is just opinon that a group as a hole has to be better than another group. paid vs volly, republican vs democrat, federal vs small town, AAA vs the majors, all the issues are the same they are just on a different scale. You always have your best in each group but at the same time you have the others .

Very few comments on here can be kept from the ( career vs volly ) arguement.

Don't look at it as a weapon cause its not. Its how "some" people show there support or disaproval on a post. Its also how "some" people try to get under other people's skin. And most of all don't forget everything in life is not always positive.

There was a comment on here once or twice, can't remember who said it first... and I do not have express written concent to say it, so I will quote it and it goes for both Career and Volly "QTIP" . Have fun and learn something on here but dont let it ruin one minute of your day.

Edited by chris
Remember585 likes this

and I do not have express written concent to say it, so I will quote it and it goes for both Career and Volly "QTIP" . Have fun and learn something on here but dont let it ruin one minute of your day.

I agree, but I think the whole QTIP thing is a bit overused. Sure, there are some who take things to a degree higher than what was originally intended, but you'll find that everywhere. But, there are some who hide behind it. It's like cursing someone off and then when they get mad, saying "oh, QTIP." Just because QTIP is something that you see all over internet message boards such as this doesn't necessarily mean that it's a catch-all for statements made in poor taste.

batt2 and fireguy43 like this

I agree, but I think the whole QTIP thing is a bit overused. Sure, there are some who take things to a degree higher than what was originally intended, but you'll find that everywhere. But, there are some who hide behind it. It's like cursing someone off and then when they get mad, saying "oh, QTIP." Just because QTIP is something that you see all over internet message boards such as this doesn't necessarily mean that it's a catch-all for statements made in poor taste.

Yes, there are alot of people hiding behind things like lol, jk, and the very vacant left side of the screen where it says: where you are from, real name, etc. People have alot to say when they are anonymous and I don't care who you are or where you are from or if you are paid or volly or a cop or whatever, who cares, the one thing in life is that you are you, and if you can't admit it, it might suck to be you.

This is a simple view of mine not aimed at anyone personally just everyone in general no excuses, not never.

Remember585 likes this

For expressing my opinions towards the member rating system, I recieved a Negative point!!!!

All that did was reinfore why I'm against the member ratings.

For expressing my opinions towards the member rating system, I recieved a Negative point!!!!

All that did was reinfore why I'm against the member ratings.

Truckies & sensitive, are you serious.

At first I thought the positive and negative rating systems were great, and in principal they are but not always in practice. Of course, everyone has different opinions on which they judge other people's posts. For the most part, the system appears to work well for those who post often and they are informative. For those of us who post infrequently and/or rarely throw in a controversial thought, perhaps the system doesn't work as well? Just a thought.

This is not a complaint, only an observance, I can only cite one small example: I posted two videos of the Detroit ladder truck being struck by a train. The videos speak for themselves, so I said as little as needed, merely a raw two-sentence explanation of what they were. I got 1 positive and 1 negative point. I didn't expect anyone to give me any "points" on it actually, as it was merely some raw video. After reading this thread I find it interesting that I got two differing points on the topic. In such a case, does that mean 1 or more people think I should have not bothered posting anything at all and kept the videos to myself. Neither point bother me, this is just an example. I would have made the post either way.

OK, here's an idea and I'd like feedback. What if I suspended the negative point system until such time in which I could put a system in place like a person leaving the negative reps has to leave a note and members can see who negative repped them? Please note this is not a feature in the current system and I would have to custom design it specifically for this system.

Positive reps will remain the same for now.

OK, here's an idea and I'd like feedback. What if I suspended the negative point system until such time in which I could put a system in place like a person leaving the negative reps has to leave a note and members can see who negative repped them? Please note this is not a feature in the current system and I would have to custom design it specifically for this system.

Positive reps will remain the same for now.

I think that this is a great idea. I am fully in favor of people know who reps them positive or negative.

Yes, there are alot of people hiding behind things like lol, jk, and the very vacant left side of the screen where it says: where you are from, real name, etc. People have alot to say when they are anonymous and I don't care who you are or where you are from or if you are paid or volly or a cop or whatever, who cares, the one thing in life is that you are you, and if you can't admit it, it might suck to be you.

This is a simple view of mine not aimed at anyone personally just everyone in general no excuses, not never.

Valid points. I would just ask you to consider those situations where anonimity is out of self-preservation. I am perfectly willing to put my name and affiliation on my profile, but when you see what happens to some of the posters on here, it just isn't worth it.

1) My posts reflect my personal opinions and not those of my department. They (my officers and my department members)don't need to feel responsible or defend me for what I say, no matter how stupid it might be.

2) There is far too much stereotyping on here, and to identify your affiliation just invites comments that are sometimes infantile and irrelevant. Paid vs. volly, how many pieces of equipment you have vs. someone else, oh, you can't get out until second dispatch, etc. I've seen all of these comments/topics on here, and none of them were deserved. The first time someone threw one of those my way, I would respond, and Seth or one of the moderators would have to ban me from the site, etc. Why create work for them, and aggravation for myself? I'm just saying that a blank profile doesn't mean someone's hiding.

As to QTIP and the rest, you're right. There are a few someones on here who I firmly believe say things just to stir the pot, and if you call them on it, you get the innocent "who me" followed by the infamous "QTIP". Annoying yes, but it's a free country.

If you or anyone else is really interested in who I am or what my affiliation is, PM me and I will be happy to share.

Edited by fireguy43
effd3918, chris and TAPSJ like this

Valid points. I would just ask you to consider those situations where anonimity is out of self-preservation. I am perfectly willing to put my name and affiliation on my profile, but when you see what happens to some of the posters on here, it just isn't worth it.

1) My posts reflect my personal opinions and not those of my department. They (my officers and my department members)don't need to feel responsible or defend me for what I say, no matter how stupid it might be.

2) There is far too much stereotyping on here, and to identify your affiliation just invites comments that are sometimes infantile and irrelevant. Paid vs. volly, how many pieces of equipment you have vs. someone else, oh, you can't get out until second dispatch, etc. I've seen all of these comments/topics on here, and none of them were deserved. The first time someone threw one of those my way, I would respond, and Seth or one of the moderators would have to ban me from the site, etc. Why create work for them, and aggravation for myself? I'm just saying that a blank profile doesn't mean someone's hiding.

As to QTIP and the rest, you're right. There are a few someones on here who I firmly believe say things just to stir the pot, and if you call them on it, you get the innocent "who me" followed by the infamous "QTIP". Annoying yes, but it's a free country.

If you or anyone else is really interested in who I am or what my affiliation is, PM me and I will be happy to share.

Good post. No matter what you say or how you say it, you can't make them all happy, not even close. I have had the same problem with having posts removed. There are alot of good points that are valid but due to one thing or another they will never get worked out because !!!

There are some things I've liked about the rating system. I really enjoy giving out positive reps. Wish we had more than four a day. I only used a negative once, and I did it in retaliation to someone I thought did it to me. Immature perhaps, but that's the truth.

I sat there and wondered why JFlynn was like a yo-yo. He'd go up to 109 and back to 103. I see the negative points are gone now; just as well.

Couple of suggestions, because I think the positive aspect of repping someone is a good motivator for our younger members to encourage learning and keeping an open mind. I think it makes more senior members feel involved and appreciative of the fact that guys respect what they have to say.

But, I also think it disuades some members from posting more often. Good, smart members with tons of knowledge, who have posted hundreds or thousands of times maybe, and feel like the rating system isn't reflecting the amount of work they have put into the site.

So, I think Seth should consider hiding the "top rated members" board on the homepage. Maybe put up a link to it, so readers can click on it and see it as a seperate page if they're interested. Let peoples' reps continue to build, and let it show on the person's profile. This would encourage more members to make their profiles interesting, as more profile views could result. If a person reads a post that has three positive rep points, they can click on the profile of the poster, and see a score of say 35, which translates into a respected poster. And keep the points for each individual post on them, so something like 16fire5's tactical discussion in the fast-food fire thread gets the attention it deserves.

I see this as a way to encourage more posting from well established members.

So, I think Seth should consider hiding the "top rated members" board on the homepage. Maybe put up a link to it, so readers can click on it and see it as a seperate page if they're interested. Let peoples' reps continue to build, and let it show on the person's profile. This would encourage more members to make their profiles interesting, as more profile views could result. If a person reads a post that has three positive rep points, they can click on the profile of the poster, and see a score of say 35, which translates into a respected poster. And keep the points for each individual post on them, so something like 16fire5's tactical discussion in the fast-food fire thread gets the attention it deserves.

I am considering this well thought out idea.

maybe instead of top rated members, a list or top rated messages or even better, top rated threads if thats possible.