Followers 0
Remember585

Croton Fires - 2/26/10

12 posts in this topic

Fire #1

87 Brook Street "Nappy Auto Collision & Repair"

Croton FD Units: 2082, 2083, E118, E119, E120, TL44, R18

Montrose FD Units: 2271, TL8

Ossining FD Units: 2332, 2334, E98, U51 (FAST)

Buchanan FD Units: 2553, U12 (Cascade)

Croton EMS: 5511, 55B2

Cortlandt EMS: 88B2

Ossining EMS: 36M1, 7405

WCDES: Battalion 10, C&O Zone 4

RELOCATED TO CROTON: Montrose E123, Yorktown L51

Info: CFD full assignment dispatched at 16:09 for heavy smoke coming from the building. CPD (who could see it from their HQ) updated as working fire right after dispatch. Fire in rear of 100 x 150 two story autobody shop with apartment above. Cars 2082 & 2083, E118 on location within 3 minutes, E119 & TL44 one minute after, E120 & R18 two minutes after that. Crews made entry and put two 2 1/2" lines to work, while simultaneously opened up the roof on the single story shop garage, conducted searches and laddered the building with portable ladders. (Truck had no access due to downed wires and trees). A 2nd Truck was requested (Montrose TL8) to position in the rear on Terrace Place and to assist opening up. Main body of fire knocked down 20 minutes after arrival, under control 40 minutes after arrival. Mutual Aid companies picked up at 17:25, all units off the scene at 18:52. One occupant to the hospital with smoke inhalation.

Fire #2

702 Half Moon Bay Drive

Croton FD Units: 2084, E120

Montrose FD Units: 2271, 2274, E123 (Cancelled en route & sent back to CFD for coverage)

Yorktown FD Units: 2534, L51

Ossining FD Units: 2332, 2334, E97, E98, U51 (FAST) (Cancelled en route)

Croton EMS: 55B2

Cortlandt EMS: Cancelled en route

WCDES: Battalion 10 (AKA 2084) & C&O Zone 4

Info: CFD, E123 and L51 dispatched for a basement fire at 18:11. E120 & L51 on location at 18:16 with smoke showing and sprinkler activated. Initial crews found fire in basement level being contained by sprinkler, 10-75 requested. 2084 had the command, L51 had the aerial to the roof as a precaution. The 10-75 assignment was cancelled enroute as the fire was knocked down quick. 1 L/S/O - fire contained to basement level storage room. All units up at 19:45.

On behalf of the Croton FD, THANK YOU to Ossining FD, Montrose FD, Yorktown FD, Buchanan FD, Croton EMS, Croton PD, Croton DPW, Cortlandt VAC, Ossining EMS and of course - 60 Control - for an awesome job! Thanks for the continued support.

Edited by Remember585
MJP399, JBJ1202, TR54 and 2 others like this

Half Moon Bay-residential sprinklers throughout the complex? jjc

Hey Jodi, for the price of those units, they should have not only sprinklers, but their own career dept lol!

The newer units, which are considered "Discovery Cove" have sprinklers. They also have lightweight truss construction, in case anyone on here ever finds themselves responding to a fire in this complex.

efdcapt115 likes this

The newer units, which are considered "Discovery Cove" have sprinklers. They also have lightweight truss construction, in case anyone on here ever finds themselves responding to a fire in this complex.

thanks for the info chief. since i was already at the fire at nappy auto collision and repair with LT 8, anything is possible. was the fire at 702 half moon bay drive, in a new building or an older one?

Edited by yanks4ever1320

Big bummer about the wires creating no access for the truck and the extra hose line stretch, but the fire went very well from inside and looked good when I came out to see the portable ladders up and the vent holes in the roof couldn't have been in a better spot . Thanks to the coverage rigs and our own E-120 to handle the second job.

Big bummer about the wires creating no access for the truck and the extra hose line stretch, but the fire went very well from inside and looked good when I came out to see the portable ladders up and the vent holes in the roof couldn't have been in a better spot . Thanks to the coverage rigs and our own E-120 to handle the second job.

Thanks Capt. - being my first time on roof venting, Mark and I did our best... I will say, with the 16 inches of snow, plus the maybe ..... 6 inches of slush and water, finding the roof was tough. I was really afraid of a collapse with the snow load and a fire weakening the structural members... The sight of smoke coming up behind the base flashings and under the copper counter flashing was wild, never thought I would see that...

Nor did I think I would see a 12x14 walk in wood shed up there ( with a gas grill, snow blower and other odds and ends ) 3 plastic garbage cans loaded with ice and water, over growth of bushes coming onto the roof, by.... 4 foot, plus spare propane bottles...

Building departments needs to look into this type of storage, I am sure the building was not designed to carry those loads up there......

chris likes this

thanks for the info chief. since i was already at the fire at nappy auto collision and repair with LT 8, anything is possible. was the fire at 702 half moon bay drive, in a new building or an older one?

Its a newer one. 100 - 600 are older ones ( half moon bay ) 700 - up is Discovery cove.

Edited by chris

Thanks Capt. - being my first time on roof venting, Mark and I did our best... I will say, with the 16 inches of snow, plus the maybe ..... 6 inches of slush and water, finding the roof was tough. I was really afraid of a collapse with the snow load and a fire weakening the structural members...

Good point Tanker 10Eng. With the unusually heavy Snow Load that we got recently, Add that into your calculation along with Roof Construction and Time into the fire as to whether it is safe to be on the roof... That heavy snow can add up to a lot of extra weight on the roof. Just ask my back, from shoveling........

By my math, thats about 150 tons of water on that roof. How much can these roofs typically handle?

I would not go with the IC's size up measurements.... the flat roof I speak of,was maybe 80 x 45 ft ..... the other half of the building was a 2nd story apartment area... Most buildings are designed to meet the " 20 year storm " as a base, and then they go from there... This structure was your normal early twenty's construction were the workers built them to last... full size rafters spaced 16 inches on center.... so once all was said and done, the structure was very solid, but you never know... newer construction with the way things are built, will fail alot quicker...