Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Cincinnati FD May Day on Glenway Ave. 1/7/10

6 posts in this topic

Not sure if this was on here, I saw this audio clip on YouTube. This is very interesting I think some things could have been done different. I'm glad the FF had minor inj

Being less than an hour away from my current location their was alittle more press about it, and the firefighters have been complaining about the radio system. Most agency that are on that counties radio system have complained. That system is a fully digital 800mhz system, and it was complained about in the dubble LODD in one of cincy norhtern suburbs.

Not sure if this was on here, I saw this audio clip on YouTube. This is very interesting I think some things could have been done different. I'm glad the FF had minor inj

If you listen to the radio xmissions, it is difficult to differentiate between the words "first' or "third' referring to floors, especiallly with SCBA.

A better terimology is to say "Number one" or "Number three" Floor. FD's should get used to using the term "Number_____Floor" to reduce the chance of miscommunication.

efdcapt115 likes this

Being less than an hour away from my current location their was alittle more press about it, and the firefighters have been complaining about the radio system. Most agency that are on that counties radio system have complained. That system is a fully digital 800mhz system, and it was complained about in the dubble LODD in one of cincy norhtern suburbs.

Is the fireground channel the same as the dispatch channel ?

If you listen to the radio xmissions, it is difficult to differentiate between the words "first' or "third' referring to floors, especiallly with SCBA.

A better terimology is to say "Number one" or "Number three" Floor. FD's should get used to using the term "Number_____Floor" to reduce the chance of miscommunication.

Interesting point. I've not had an issue with First and Third, though I can imagine it with SCBA on and other background noises. In our case, this is why we stuck with numbering the sides of the building and exposures vs. using letters, as A,B and D all sound too familiar. Of course the phonetic alphabet corrects this. This of course, require us to use First, Second, Third, etc. Another case of studying other places problems and trying to learn from them as well. We shouldn't all have to learn these hard lessons first hand. Next drill I think I'll run some word games w(ithout telling anyone) to see what it sounds like.

Wow, thats crazy how long it took for the MAYDAY to be answered, totally unacceptable.

Also crazy that a City such as Cincinnati uses the same frequency for dispatch and fireground op's.

efdcapt115 likes this