Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

New Buchanan Rescue?

25 posts in this topic

I just tried searching the forums because I thought I remember a post about Buchanan getting a SVI/Spartan Furion short (and I do mean short) wheelbase Rescue. Couldn't find anything. I believe the post was within the last six month,s and there was a schematic posted of it.

Yes the info on the new rescue Buchanan is getting is on their Facebook Page it is a Spartan Fusion I believe.

Just checked out Buchanan's Facebook page, production pic's of the Rescue body, but could not find the schematic.

Will be a an EVI/Spartan Furion. Delivery slated for sometime in may. And yes, very short wheelbase due to space limitations in the station. Someone put an un-authorized early drawing up a while agao but took it down. When it comes pics will follow.

Any idea what's going to be done with the old rescue 26??

It's being returned to the original owner. It was only a temporary loaner anyway.

post-3394-126854034887.jpg

It's being returned to the original owner. It was only a temporary loaner anyway.

Awesome lol, only you could come up with this bro.

Actually, that bread truck look bigger. We could use that as our "heavy rescue" :rolleyes:

This is what happens when you live somewhere but work somewhere else. I haven't been to any village board meetings in the past year. I didn't even know I was paying for a new Rescue truck. The bread van is a classic and seems to run just fine, in fact saw Mr. Skelly driving it to a call today. I believe he must live in that rig cause he is the only one I ever see in the driver's seat! Although, I believe that the expired contracts with village workers should have been the priority, I can understand replacing a 1975 vehicle. I am sure some members may be torn on that issue as well.

Yes we are getting a new rescue like ec255 said as soon as it get's closer to delivery we will be having a true wet down for this rig. I will be sending out the invites for the wet down when the time comes. Hope to have some pics soon of the new rig on here as well. And yes it's about time we replaced this rig it has served us well but is defiantly showing its age.

if u have any questions reguarding this rig contact me or ec255 about the rig thanks.

Edited by bfd161

This is what happens when you live somewhere but work somewhere else. I haven't been to any village board meetings in the past year. I didn't even know I was paying for a new Rescue truck. The bread van is a classic and seems to run just fine, in fact saw Mr. Skelly driving it to a call today. I believe he must live in that rig cause he is the only one I ever see in the driver's seat! Although, I believe that the expired contracts with village workers should have been the priority, I can understand replacing a 1975 vehicle. I am sure some members may be torn on that issue as well.

Why do you think that YOU are paying for the new truck? The fire department has nothing to do with the contracts of village workers either. Buchanan Engine Company #1, Inc. is an independant fire company, not a fire district. It has an annual contract with the village to provide fire protection. The department buys and owns the apparatus, and owns the property and building which we operate from. The new truck is being paid for by Buchanan Engine Company, not the Village of Buchanan or it's residents.

SRS131EMTFF and BFD1054 like this

Why do you think that YOU are paying for the new truck? The fire department has nothing to do with the contracts of village workers either. Buchanan Engine Company #1, Inc. is an independant fire company, not a fire district. It has an annual contract with the village to provide fire protection. The department buys and owns the apparatus, and owns the property and building which we operate from. The new truck is being paid for by Buchanan Engine Company, not the Village of Buchanan or it's residents.

Well said BFD2553 you are correct thanks.

The new truck is being paid for by Buchanan Engine Company, not the Village of Buchanan or it's residents.

So, the members of Buchanan FD pay for the truck out of their own pockets?

If they do, I'm assuming the money comes from fundraisers. Also, didnt they get an AFG grant for this too?

Can't wait to see the pics!

The money was raised from selling bread, and charging per bottle for a refill with the cascade.

The money was raised from selling bread, and charging per bottle for a refill with the cascade.

LOL.. that's too funny..

Who do you think funds the contract?

You took one part of my comment, adjusted it to serve your opportunity to criticize my comment and tried to make it look as though I am 100% against purchasing new equipment. I do and have paid taxes for some time. Part of that money is paid to the Buchanan FD by the village. And as it was years ago when some members thought it prudent to request adding a ladder truck to the fleet, it was brought to the village board meetings and open to public discussion. I said I can see both sides of the argument, replacement of a 35 year old piece of equipment may be necessary. I also support the fact that the employees of the village need a new contract. The only reason I cited the priority being the contracts of workers is that both Montrose and Peekskill have Rescue apparatus and the current piece is still in service. I have done nothing but support the fire department my entire life as a village resident, whether donating monies, buying raffle tickets, providing pictures that I have taken in my own personal time, etc. I am not a member of the fire department but did volunteer in my community for years. Now I have my own priorities and work responsibilities that make it virtually impossible for me to commit to being a member. As well, I have to say, I haven't been asked either. And I know that manpower to calls is a serious issue in our community. This is a public website, you should be careful saying that the village of Buchanan and its residents don't foot the bill, cause ultimately they do. They do when they pay their taxes, and they do when they donate money, and the do when they buy raffle tickets. Money to buy new appartus and equipment doesn't grow on a tree behind the firehouse.

ny10570 likes this

Buchanan Engine Company No.1 Inc is a private fire company that provides fire protection services to the Village through an annual contract. The apparatus and equipment is purchased with the payments from said contract. We are proud to be entering our third contract in a row with a zero percent increase- despite increased operating costs. Many years ago the Village board decided to set up a "capital vehicle replacement fund"- each budget year money is placed into an account to save for future apparatus purchases- thereby reducing the "shock" of a major apparatus purchase on the taxpayers. This has been very sucessful and will enable us to purchase the new Rescue-26 without raising our budget to the taxpayers once again.We probably have one of, if not the lowest budget in the county and and take pride in that. As for replacing a 40 year old piece of apparatus- does anymore need to be said? And no, NONE of our members are "torn" about it.

You took one part of my comment, adjusted it to serve your opportunity to criticize my comment and tried to make it look as though I am 100% against purchasing new equipment. I do and have paid taxes for some time. Part of that money is paid to the Buchanan FD by the village. And as it was years ago when some members thought it prudent to request adding a ladder truck to the fleet, it was brought to the village board meetings and open to public discussion. I said I can see both sides of the argument, replacement of a 35 year old piece of equipment may be necessary. I also support the fact that the employees of the village need a new contract. The only reason I cited the priority being the contracts of workers is that both Montrose and Peekskill have Rescue apparatus and the current piece is still in service. I have done nothing but support the fire department my entire life as a village resident, whether donating monies, buying raffle tickets, providing pictures that I have taken in my own personal time, etc. I am not a member of the fire department but did volunteer in my community for years. Now I have my own priorities and work responsibilities that make it virtually impossible for me to commit to being a member. As well, I have to say, I haven't been asked either. And I know that manpower to calls is a serious issue in our community. This is a public website, you should be careful saying that the village of Buchanan and its residents don't foot the bill, cause ultimately they do. They do when they pay their taxes, and they do when they donate money, and the do when they buy raffle tickets. Money to buy new appartus and equipment doesn't grow on a tree behind the firehouse.

Actually Kris, being their HQ is only about a mile from Indian Point, anything is liable to be growing on the trees.

Actually Kris, being their HQ is only about a mile from Indian Point, anything is liable to be growing on the trees.

That's why I cut the one in my yard down. It kept us up at night, glowed too bright!

He's right there's no tree I just checked.

And Oswego is 100% right, the apparatus and equipment is paid for by tax money- not from that elusive tree!

Actually- I quoted your entire comment, and made no attempt to "make it look like" you were against anything. My point, which was perhaps, better explained by ec255 is that as a department, we have not come before the taxpayers of the village to request new/additional funds for a new truck. Monies for fire protection including vehicle replacement are in the contract already. Money which is carefully saved and put aside each year for just such a purchase. You as a taxpayer have not seen a single penny increase in your taxes to pay for this vehicle. We are a small department with VERY limited funds. I invite you to campare exactly how much of your taxes are paid for fire protection with the departments you mention. What does it matter if they have Rescue apparatus? That apparatus is for their fire districts. If you're trying to make a case for consolidation, please- lets not open up THAT can of worms in this thread. It's off point. Part of an agreement to supply fire protection includes having the equipment to provide it. The rescue truck "still in service" is 35 years old and responds to EVERY call in the village. It has grown old, needy, and no longer adequately serves it's purpose. Hope that clears up your issues.

Edited by BFD2553

BTW- just for the recored, there was a public meeting to discuss the purchase of this truck and how it would be financed at the fire house last month. It was posted on the community channel and in the paper. Nobody showed up.

chris and ny10570 like this