Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ajsbear

Fire chief: Locked doors trapped New Square students during blaze

10 posts in this topic

When is someone going to do something. This place is an accident waiting to happen. Locking dorm doors ala Joe Clark. Read the article.

http://www.lohud.com...ts-during-blaze

Edited by ajsbear

Last week when I was in Rockland County this was a conversation while at lunch,how long will it be until a disaster happens to become part of the Firefighting history? It usually takes a disaster to have changes made. In Cortlandt Manor there is a place that is another disaster waiting to happen. Do these facilitys fall under the Board of ED? There should be no exemptions when it comes to life safety. Local ans State officials need to step up and address the violations.

Honestly, it is sickening. There should be swift action taken, but when politics and religion are involved, thats when it becomes complicated. You would think in this day and age, locked exits would be something we only read about in books. Hopefullly in this instance, the school does the right thing, and the code officials do the right thing.

Last week when I was in Rockland County this was a conversation while at lunch,how long will it be until a disaster happens to become part of the Firefighting history? It usually takes a disaster to have changes made. In Cortlandt Manor there is a place that is another disaster waiting to happen. Do these facilitys fall under the Board of ED? There should be no exemptions when it comes to life safety. Local ans State officials need to step up and address the violations.

I know the facility you're talking about. Is it Montrose or Mohegan's district? dn't matter which department steps in, Board of Ed, Buildings, CPS, anyone should bring the NYSPD. They will however claim we are violating their religious freedom. But you are right. It is going to take a major disaster and will be on the front page of every paper and there will be a ton of finger pointing. The papers will ask why we didn't do anything.

ajsbear, the other "facility" that hudson and yourself are referring to happens to be the Mohegan Fire District. Hudson would know better than me, but i believe there has been at least 1 fire there that i can remember (80s, 90s?).

These places are certainly of concern for soo many reasons.

My father worked for Con Edison (since retired) and had to do work on some of these grounds. He too commented how outdated things are and how they most likely would not pass current fire code.

Are they "exempt" because of their religious stature?

this same bldg has had a number of violent confrontations requiring police intervention over the last year.

unfortunately,our politicians in rockland don't back the fire service when this village is involved;money and votes talk,bs walks

What will they do when something serious happens resulting in a few deaths? CYA is all I can say. Document everything. You know politicians.

I recall something similar up in Sullivan County about a year ago. Code violations all over the place, also a Yeshiva I think. Anyone from Monticello area have any info?