Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geppetto

Sheriff Joe Arpaio will make inmates pedal bikes to power TVs

13 posts in this topic

Sheriff Joe Arpaio will make inmates pedal bikes to power TVs

Richanna James - Apr. 1, 2010

The Arizona Republic

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced a new program where inmates have to pedal on exercise bicycles to watch television.

Inmates will pedal on a bike that generates 12 volts, enough electrical current to power a 19-inch tube television at the Tent City television viewing area. One hour of pedaling equals one hour of television watching....

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/01/20100401Joe-Arpaio-Pedal-Bikes-TV-abrk.html

Sheriff Arpaio is officially my hero.

vacancy.jpg

Edited by WAS967

That's a new idea! Maybe they will watch COPS on local reruns haha.

Joe Arpaio, "America's Toughest sheriff," has started many new ideas out in Maricopa. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to serve time in Maricopa, between tent city, pink underwear, and pink handcuffs.

Note the date of publication, guys...

I think it's actually legitimate. AP and Reuters are carrying the story as well.

Oh no, it is true despite the date. His methods are well known in the law enforcement community, and have been profiled on many shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

I love this Sherriff!

New York should take a few lessons from this guy!! Our current Commissioner of Corrections refers to jails as CAMPUSES :huh: not jails, not prisons but CAMPUSES.

Campus

1 : the grounds and buildings of a university, college, or school

2 : a university, college, or school viewed as an academic, social, or spiritual entity

3 : grounds that resemble a campus <a hospital campus> <a landscaped corporate campus>

New York the LIBERAL STATE! :(

helicopper likes this

"In October 2009, the Department of Homeland Security removed the authority of Arpaio's 160 federally trained deputies to make immigration arrests in the field. Despite the actions of the Department of Homeland Security, Arpaio has maintained that he will still pursue illegal aliens under Arizona state law"

I like the fact that he stood up to this country's soft stance on illegal immigration and said he will lock up illegal immigrants himself.

"In October 2009, the Department of Homeland Security removed the authority of Arpaio's 160 federally trained deputies to make immigration arrests in the field. Despite the actions of the Department of Homeland Security, Arpaio has maintained that he will still pursue illegal aliens under Arizona state law"

I like the fact that he stood up to this country's soft stance on illegal immigration and said he will lock up illegal immigrants himself.

Meanwhile the program to train local cops/deputies so they can enforce immigration violations still goes on around the US. Arpaio was just a little to zealous for the liberal, scared of their own shadow, elected/appointed hacks in DC.

Its hard to give credibility to a man who has an open Federal Department of Justice Grand Jury investigating his abuse of powers that have been described by the Attorney General of the United States Eric Holder as "serious and ongoing".

Let him have his day in court...

Edited by bvfdjc316

Its hard to give credibility to a man who has an open Federal Department of Justice Grand Jury investigating his abuse of powers that have been described by the Attorney General of the United States Eric Holder as "serious and ongoing".

Let him have his day in court...

I have to doubt the credibility of Eric Holder.

It's not so much illegal immigration that's the problem in Maricopa County, it's the human and drug trafficing that poses a HUGE problem.