Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Yonkers Tillers 1979-1990

11 posts in this topic

The Yonkers Tillers (with credit to Joe Pinto, FAJ Jan/Feb 1989)

In 1979, Yonkers ordered Three ALF Century 100 -foot tillers. Prior to delivery, the city purchased two used TDA's for driver training. One was purchased from Mount Vernon (Ladder 1) and one from Long Island. FDMV's was a 1947 Seagrave and the other was a 1956 ALF open cab. The '56 ALF spent time on the line, as Ladder 74 and Ladder 75 for a time, before becoming a dedicated spare.

Prior to 1972, Yonkers ran a fleet of mid-mount straight sticks, which included a 1967 ALF as Ladder 1 and a capped open cab '58 ALF as Ladder 5 at Station 12. In 1972, the city received the infamous white cab ALF 100-foot mid-mount that spent many years running as Ladder 70 on Central Ave after spending time as Ladder 76 at Sta. 11. 1974 saw the first Mack Aerialscope operate as Tower Ladder 1. This was the first lime-yellow rig in the city.

In 1980, the ALF TDA's were delivered and assigned to Ladders 71, 73 and 74. These rigs were all lime-yellow. After the infamous purchase of Continental "Compac" apparatus, a 1982 Compac cab was placed under a refurbished 1956 ALF tractor and became a spare ladder (Shop number 61827). This rig was also number Ladder 69.

The demise of the tiller in Yonkers began with the ordering of rear mounted Seagrave ladders in the late 1980's. At this time, the last companies running tillers were L-73 ("Supertrain") and Ladder 74. Ladder 70 operated a newly painted white over red 1979 ALF tiller, which became a dedicated spare as the new rear mounts arrived. Ladder 74 became a rear mount in 1987 and Ladder 73 shortly thereafter.

Sources:

Fire Apparatus Journal, Jan-Feb. 1989

75th Anniversary Yonkers Paid Fire Department 1896-1971

Nice articles. I actually wonder what the guys actually preferred after using both. I would have to guess the straight stick.

I'm highly doubtful any of these tillers are still around anywhere?

It's too bad that Tillers aren't really around that much anymore. Ya gotta love 'em! :D

I remember seeing an old ALF lime green tiller over at the Westchester Training Center back in the day. Any idea where that one came from?? I'm presuming it was an old YFD tiller.

As for not seeing them much around here anymore, yes it is sad. Cost and size considerations are the two big issues. Ladder 173 here in Queens was a tiller for years. Then the city gave them a rear mount. The reasoning behind it was weight. They didn't want it falling through the floor and into the basin underneath the firehouse.

There are plenty of other departments, especially out west that run nothing but tillers. Case in point, x635's newest obsession, LAFD.

Side note...YAY ME!!!!! 300 posts!!!

Congrats JBE, but we need some more rundowns on the who was working which jobs in the city, lol.

Back to the topic at hand, Why do most west coast departments run only tillers?

Some very good history! Here are a few additonal "Tid Bits"

In the EARLY 1960's, Yonkers FD, was basically running with American LaFrance and Ward LaFrance Rigs (except for the FAMOUS Mack Box Rescue Truck [The Old Rescue 1]). It was not until the Mid 1970's when Mack CF's started and became a "Staple" in Yonkers! As meninedood in earlier posts, those ALF Mid Mount Ladders were at Statoin 5 (As Truck 5), Station 4 (As Truck 4), Station 2 (As Truck 2) at Station 11 (As Truck 3) and as a "Spare" located out of Station 13 (Truck 6). These Open Cab ALF Ladders were eventually Retrofitted with Hand Made Wooded Roofs. They were the Main Ladder/Truck Company in YFD until 1968, when YFD purchased the "RED" Ladder Truck. This was originally placed as TRUCK 1 (see the 75th Anniversary of the YFD for photos), until 1972, when "BIG RED" was moved to Station 2, to replace the Old ALF 1950's rig. At that time, YFD purchased the Now Famous ALF Mid Mount "White Cab". It was placed into servce as Truck 1 (It was embossed with Gold Leaf Lettering on the Rig, with a Big Number 1 on the nose). Some history on this unit. It was involved in a Slight "Fender Bender" slightly crushing the nose of the rig. This rig eventually was replaced in 1974 with YFD's First Tower Ladder (see below), thus the now the Famous White Cab was moved to Station 4 to take over as Truck 4. Eventually, once the ALF Tillers were purchased in the late 1970's, The White Cab, became Ladder 76 (When YFD went with the County Numbering System) and it had its place at Station 11, and then finally ended up as Ladder 70 at Station 14, before it was taken out of service. At the same time (1974), as mentioned, Yonkers purchased its very first Mack Baker Aerialscope Tower Ladder, put into service as "Tower Ladder 1" This rig had a interesting history as well. Originally set for service out of Station 1, it was found that the flooring at HDQS was not sufficient enough to hold up the huge amount of weight that this new RIG had. Thus, it was MOVED to Station 3 (The New Vark Street Station) HOWEVER, this very first Tower Ladder was OUT OF SERVICE for a VERY LONG TIME. Basically, it was a "LEMON" (No pun intended on the Lime Green). Truck 1 (then Ladder 71) had a few Tillers at HDQRs. The famous RETRO-FITTED Compac/Continential (JUNK) Ladder/Tiller was used as Ladder 71 for a brief time, until the New ALF Tillers arrived. (How many people remember when YFD made a HUGE mistake going with the Continential.Compac Rigs, that the OLD ALF Engine Company 2 (then Engine 305) was RETRO fitted as a Compac? (you could tell the difference by the Federal Q Siren on the Nose of the Rig, vs. the Other Compac's purchased that did not come equiped with a Federal Siren). Interesting to note, that Yonkers went away from American LaFrance Ladder Rigs after the purchase of the 3 Tillers, until recently with the 2 New Tower Ladders/Rescue/and Engine Companies. If anyone has any additional history that they would like to add, that would be terrific !!!

YonkersR3, Congratulations on a great piece of history.

I recall at a fire on Warburton Ave. , around 1980, where a Compac/Continential engine caught on fire while operating at the box.

Unfortunately, my memory is not that good to recall the comapny number or year of this incident.

Congrats JBE, but we need some more rundowns on the who was working which jobs in the city, lol.

Back to the topic at hand, Why do most west coast departments run only tillers?

Sorry dude, I'm on vacation. As for out west, they tend to find the most versatility out of tillered quints. Maneuverable, and can operate without an engine if need be. They also take immaculate care of those rigs so they get quite a few years out of em.

Does anyone else have any fond memories of the Old Yonkers Fire Department Rigs of the Late 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's? (Specific Engine Company/Truck Company/Rescue Company/Spare Rig Specifics) as well as (Specific Engine and Ladder Company/Spare Rig Specifics)?

In 1975, I was a brand new Boy Scout, and picked "Firemanship" as my first merit badge. One of the requirements was to visit a Firehouse. I bravely marched down to Yonkers Station 3 (Vark Street), which was closest to my home, and rang the doorbell. The duty FF was alone, since the Engine (a Mack CF canopy cab) was out on a call. He invited me in, and very thoroughly started explaining the Fire triangle, hose sizes, classifications, etc. After about an hour, the Engine returned, and I was treated to a complete check out and helped the guys "wipe down" the rig. I had lunch with them (cold cuts on Willow-Sunny bread) and realized I had been there several hours. I made my farewells and decided that I wanted to become a Yonkers Firefighter. Life had different plans for me, but it is an experience I will never forget. 8)