Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Scenario: Overturned Oil Truck

28 posts in this topic

Here's an idea that I have been tossing around, and have talked about with Seth. If there's no objections, I'd like to periodically post an incident scenario and get input from everyone on how they would handle it. We'll talk about what your initial response would be, what additional resources you would call, strategies to mitigate the situation and any other thoughts you might have.

For the first scenario, I'd like to offer up the following:

Date: January 26th

Time: 02:25

Weather: 24 degrees, light snow falling, there's about 6" of snow on the ground.

Dispatch Info: Your FD is dispatched with EMS for an overturned home heating oil truck, with the driver pinned in the cab.

Size-up Info: The truck is carrying a half load of #3 heating oil in the 1500 gallon tank, and it is leaking on to the roadway and into curb drains. The driver is semi-conscious with a lower leg fracture and is pinned in the cab. A simple door pop should get him out.

Here's the questions for you. Now remember, this is based on what you would do in your own area. (So don't assume an imaginary apparatus is coming!):

What apparatus respond initially?

How much manpower will you get?

How do you position the apparatus?

You're the IC, what is your Incident Action Plan?

What additional resources would you call?

Remember, this is a learning tool, so all ideas and input are welcome!

harmony-township-crash-23640aacd1f63fc0.jpg

Edited by Remember585
x635 and efermann like this

Great thread!

What apparatus respond initially? An engine, a rescue, an ALS bus, and a 2nd paramedic in a fly car

How much manpower will you get? 4 on the engine, 4 on the rescue, 2 on the bus, and 1 on the fly car

How do you position the apparatus? Hopefully both apparatus can get uphill of the scene to stay out of the oil.

You're the IC, what is your Incident Action Plan? The rescue and engine uphill of the accident to start extrication and provide fire protection, the 2nd due engine downhill to close the road and start with Dam dyke and divert. The HAZMAT unit to do whatever they do.

What additional resources would you call? An extra engine, the HAZMAT trailer, and DEP

Edited by Alpinerunner

Our rescue would roll first, engine second. Position out of oil. Assign crew to begin extrication and assist ems. Assign second crew to begin containment of oil. Ideally, we would have 6 on rescue and at least 4 on engine (including drivers and officers). If needed, I would call for additional manpower and to bring utility to scene with as much speedy dry as possible. We usually carry three 5 gallon buckets on the engine, 4 on the rescue. Our rescue is also stocked with an additional 3 bags, booms, and pads. We also carry both wooden and rubber plugs of various sizes as well as various sizes of rubber patches, etc. So I would only call for the utility if we could not contain with what we had on scene.

DEC would be contacted as well as HAZ-MAT team. Mutual aid for stand-by as this will probably be an extended call. Once tow company has uprighted the truck, check for additional leaks/hazards.

Even though home heating oil (which is #2 oil BTW)is classified as a combustible liquid as opposed to a flammable liquid, I would have PD or FP block the scene with vehicles and cones rather than flares. Check the manifest if you can find it to be sure that the vehicle is carrying what it is placarded as (1993 - diesel fuel/heating oil, 1223 - kerosene, 1203 - gasoline, 1863 - jet fuel) and how much was loaded at last loading.

Close all valves. There are usually a couple under the truck that would be easy to get to if you go by the picture. Also, DO NOT open the dome lids to see how much might be in the compartment. If its not leaking from there, leave it alone. If it is, try to get a 2x4 or stabilization strut against it to push it tighter. Just for information, most of these tanks are aluminum and your average home delivery truck with single rear axle generally has a capacity of 2800 - 3100 gals. If it has a tag or drop axle, figure around 3500-3800 gallons. If it is a true tandem axle, assume up to 5000 gallons.

One more thing, 24'F with light snow. Have someone bring coffee.

Not to get too far off topic, but for informational purposes, the trailer trucks that deliver around here are mostly 12,000 gallon. Some are 9200 but not too many. Mobil uses "super" tankers with a capacity of 14,200 gallons. You get one of those turned over and things might go up a notch.

Defensive defensive defensive. Simulataneously build dikes around the drains while others built damns to stem the flow down the street. If need be dig a quick retention ditch and line it with visqueen and use either the dirt dug up if need be if running low on speedy dry..or if you just carry "green stuff" to direct it where it needs to go.

The temperature is pretty low, so I'm willing to bet that 1 the oil when it hits the street will have a thicker viscosity, but MSDS would confirm this with the info. Being that..the vaporization may be slow so hopefully the vapor won't be bad...but you would have to consider foam if it was for vapor suppression...apparatus...definitely up wind and uphill if possible..but up wind takes priority.

That's all I got time for right now..but wanted to reinforce some of the small haz mat ops skills that are often forgotten.

rescue with 3 to 4, engine with 2 to 3, BLS unit with 2, ALS unit with 2.

Call second engine and HAZ mat unit.

Call state highway for dump truck of sand for damming / absorbtion of oil. 750 gallons is alot of oil to try to contain with out huge amounts of damming and absorbtion material.

Good answers so far. One thing for those of us in NY / Westchester to keep in mind, I've been involved in a couple of incidents where NYS DOT was called for sand, only to be told they no longer provide this resource.

If anyone can confirm this, that would be great. If not, I can make some phone calls this week to find out for all of us.

Upwind, uphill.

An 4 man Engine company, truck company for manpower, and ALS ambulance. Maybe a Special Operations Engine company for foam with a spill trailer, and/or the SOC Battalion Chief for advice. PD for traffic. DPW to sand the scene for traction. Do a rapid extrication of this guy, have they engine company stretch a line while doing so. Doesn't look like a busy or high speed roadway, so don't need another apparatus to block.

Attempt to plug the leak, and call a company like Stiloski's. They can offload what's in the truck, roll it over using airbags or another technique, and get it out of the roadway. Home heating oil does not ignite very easily. And improper recovery techniques could make the situation worse-so using an inexperienced or underequipped company ca cause the tank to rip open like a tin can. The leaking into the storm drain-block it off and if it doesn't pose any hazards to the neighborhood, it's not your issue. You've stopped the flow, and what damage is already done isn't of your concern. Notify whoever maintains the storm drain. Release the truck company, have the engine standby until the truck is out of there.

Calll an enviromental service contractor to the scene on an emergency basis to do the rest, and send the insurance company for the truck the bill. Or see if the company has people who handle this for them. Then turn it over to whatever enviromental protection agency is responsible for the scene, and get back in service. Have DPW close off the roadway until the contractor can get there.

Anyone else out there got ideas? Or is everyone busy commenting on new fire truck delivery rumors? :rolleyes:

From my Department would be Rescue, With 4 to 6, Engine with 5 ,Either Utility with 4,MA with 2 Probably our Tanker unless it is in Hydrant Dist. KBHVAC would be Ambulance and WEMS would be Medic.

Up hill of Truck

My IAP Rescue to get him out Stretch 2 Lines from engine get foam on it, also you need to find out from driver how much is on truck, eta of non injured rep from company, MA and Utility would concentarte on leak,if we need sand since its in Town of Bedford,Town has sand, so I would get them to bring it in. ( State only uses salt has no sand)Board of Health DEP, DEC, if there is an active spill Oil Company is responsible for clean up and Company to get that done.

The Oil Company I work for from time to time we carry all the info. in our delivery book, who to call for spill etc. also if driver is out of it you should be easily able to figure out how much is on truck.

Rescue/pumper, BLS bus and a medic

9 + 5 + medic

Uphill and away from the flow down the drain

Mutual aid engine,PD, HAZMAT TEAM, spill clean up company, additional BLS bus for stand-by

5-6 to carry out extrication, one on hand line, 2 trying to dam up flow, mutual aid engine with 5 assist in spill control or attempt to stop flow from tanker, HAZMAT and spill company to finalize clean up.

In a Nut shell!

From us it would be our Rescue and one Engine, plus EMS.

Can't give a definite, but at least 10 (this is our average).

Uphill, upwind (if possible)

Disentanglement of the driver, protection of my crews, containment of the spill, secure the scene/area. Assign a Rescue Unit Leader to oversee the disentanglement operation, assign an Officer or senior FF to contain the spill (use HM Team once they arrive) and put a charged line in place to protect my rescue team. (2 with SCBAs).

VAFD Haz-Mat and/or county Hazmat, probably our E118 which has 100 gallons of foam or another Engine with supplemental foam. Get DPW and/or PD to assist with traffic diversions. Also call Health Department spill team, they're always helpful. If a sand truck is around, try and get that to help dam/divert the spill.

Other thoughts?

The cleaning up of the spill is the responsibility of that company. We would mitigate the hazard of the fluid spill, minimize ignition sources, rescue the driver from his truck and protect the citizens and environment in the area. Obtain spill #, consider placing remaining companies on standby or relocating an Engine to cover us and at the end of the call, do a review.

2 eng, 1 truck, 1 rescue, 1 DC, 1 ALS Amb = 14-16 ff's & officers plus medic & EMT.

While it would be nice to be able to position uphill & upwind (the text book answer) it is rare that you can do both. Uphill is more important with a liquid (up wind with a gas).

PD, County DOH, USCG (as required by law if within 1 mile of any waterway that leads into a navigatable waterway). DEC (for a spill #)

We do not need a hazmat team (but others have said they would have ff's stop the flow, they must by Fed & state law be Hazmat Techs)and we NEVER call a spill clean up company (we have have DOH, DEC, USCG or the trucking company make the call, since they have the legal authority to get paid by the spiller and we do not want to get stuck with the bill).

With the incident in the pic in mind, we do not need multiple foam lines. This is a combutible liquid, that means it must get to 100 deg. F before it can vaporize enough to burn. Based on the pic, its in the low 30's. An extingusher would easily handle any fire potential. When we use to train with oil fires we learned this.

2 eng, 1 truck, 1 rescue, 1 DC, 1 ALS Amb = 14-16 ff's & officers plus medic & EMT.

While it would be nice to be able to position uphill & upwind (the text book answer) it is rare that you can do both. Uphill is more important with a liquid (up wind with a gas).

PD, County DOH, USCG (as required by law if within 1 mile of any waterway that leads into a navigatable waterway). DEC (for a spill #)

We do not need a hazmat team (but others have said they would have ff's stop the flow, they must by Fed & state law be Hazmat Techs)and we NEVER call a spill clean up company (we have have DOH, DEC, USCG or the trucking company make the call, since they have the legal authority to get paid by the spiller and we do not want to get stuck with the bill).

With the incident in the pic in mind, we do not need multiple foam lines. This is a combutible liquid, that means it must get to 100 deg. F before it can vaporize enough to burn. Based on the pic, its in the low 30's. An extingusher would easily handle any fire potential. When we use to train with oil fires we learned this.

I did state i would have FF's stop the flow if it were possible, if a valve could be closed or a hatch closed to stop the flow regardless if they are a HAZMAT tech, i would personally do it if all hands were tied up, i am not a HAZMAT tech, to me this makes the most sense, why wait for HAZMAT team member to arrive 15-40 minutes later.

I did state i would have FF's stop the flow if it were possible, if a valve could be closed or a hatch closed to stop the flow regardless if they are a HAZMAT tech, i would personally do it if all hands were tied up, i am not a HAZMAT tech, to me this makes the most sense, why wait for HAZMAT team member to arrive 15-40 minutes later.

Would you send untrained members into a fire or have untrained members operate an exrication tool? What harm could there be in that? What you do not know can hurt you. If those untrained ff's touch the double or triple action hatch it might release the remaining product. HM Techs are trained to not touch them, but to place dome cover clamps over them to prevent this from happening.

The law is pretty clear on this and allowing untrained members to do what you suggest is unacceptable.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)

First responder operations level. First responders at the operations level are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous substances as part of the initial response to the site for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release. They are trained to respond in a defensive fashion without actually trying to stop the release. Their function is to contain the release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposures.

1910.120(q)(6)(iii)

Hazardous materials technician. Hazardous materials technicians are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases for the purpose of stopping the release. They assume a more aggressive role than a first responder at the operations level in that they will approach the point of release in order to plug, patch or otherwise stop the release of a hazardous substance.

If you have to wait that long for Hazmat then maybe your dept needs a few techs to get started. What happens when you have something more hazardous than fuel oil? How can you determine if it is even safe to remain onscene or if you need to start a community evacuation or shealter in place?

Along the same line, do you send exterior only members in to start a search, because interior members are not ther yet?

What about intubating or start IV's on patients before medics arrive, because we cant wait till they get there?

efermann and helicopper like this

Almost all of our personnel are now First Responders. Last I checked we only have a handful of Technicians, so our SOG is to call in the Technicians from the Montrose VA FD, since they are only a few minutes up the road.

Almost all of our personnel are now First Responders.

1910.120(q)(6)

Training. Training shall be based on the duties and function to be performed by each responder of an emergency response organization. The skill and knowledge levels required for all new responders, those hired after the effective date of this standard (March 7 1996), shall be conveyed to them through training before they are permitted to take part in actual emergency operations on an incident. Employees who participate, or are expected to participate, in emergency response, shall be given training in accordance with the following paragraphs:

What does this mean? NYS DOL has stated it means that merbers must be trained to Ops level before they go on any calls. Not just hazmat calls, since you do not know which calls will have hazmat at them. The reason is what you do not know can get you or others hurt or killed. The law also requires annual recertification.

Also anyone who can be an IC (1st to arrive ff or company officer) must meet the following:

1910.120(q)(6)(v)

On scene incident commander. Incident commanders, who will assume control of the incident scene beyond the first responder awareness level, shall receive at least 24 hours of training equal to the first responder operations level and in addition have competency in the following areas and the employer shall so certify:

What does this mean? NYS DOL has stated it means that merbers must be trained to Ops level before they go on any calls. Not just hazmat calls, since you do not know which calls will have hazmat at them. The reason is what you do not know can get you or others hurt or killed. The law also requires annual recertification.

We've been working on getting everyone the HMFRO training. It should of always been a part of the Essentials and Basic FF classes. Glad it is part of FF I.

1910.120(q)(6)(v)

On scene incident commander. Incident commanders, who will assume control of the incident scene beyond the first responder awareness level, shall receive at least 24 hours of training equal to the first responder operations level and in addition have competency in the following areas and the employer shall so certify:

Well, what are the following areas? :P

Edited by Remember585

We've been working on getting everyone the HMFRO training. It should of always been a part of the Essentials and Basic FF classes. Glad it is part of FF I.

Agreed, it should have been. To bad some faught against including it. Just because its included in FFI does not mean it is complete, it is very clear in the law and in PESH's interpretation, that OFPC FFI does not and can not give all of the training needed to cover HMFRO (or any other required OSHA course). The FD must complete the training in house.

Well, what are the following areas? :P

IC must:

1910.120(q)(6)(v)(A)

Know and be able to implement the employer's incident command system.

1910.120(q)(6)(v)(B)

Know how to implement the employer's emergency response plan.

1910.120(q)(6)(v)©

Know and understand the hazards and risks associated with employees working in chemical protective clothing.

1910.120(q)(6)(v)(D)

Know how to implement the local emergency response plan.

1910.120(q)(6)(v)(E)

Know of the state emergency response plan and of the Federal Regional Response Team.

1910.120(q)(6)(v)(F)

Know and understand the importance of decontamination procedures.

A & B above also mean that the dept. must have written ICS and and emergency response plan.

Would you send untrained members into a fire or have untrained members operate an exrication tool? What harm could there be in that? What you do not know can hurt you. If those untrained ff's touch the double or triple action hatch it might release the remaining product. HM Techs are trained to not touch them, but to place dome cover clamps over them to prevent this from happening.

The law is pretty clear on this and allowing untrained members to do what you suggest is unacceptable.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)

First responder operations level. First responders at the operations level are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous substances as part of the initial response to the site for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release. They are trained to respond in a defensive fashion without actually trying to stop the release. Their function is to contain the release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposures.

1910.120(q)(6)(iii)

Hazardous materials technician. Hazardous materials technicians are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases for the purpose of stopping the release. They assume a more aggressive role than a first responder at the operations level in that they will approach the point of release in order to plug, patch or otherwise stop the release of a hazardous substance.

If you have to wait that long for Hazmat then maybe your dept needs a few techs to get started. What happens when you have something more hazardous than fuel oil? How can you determine if it is even safe to remain onscene or if you need to start a community evacuation or shealter in place?

Along the same line, do you send exterior only members in to start a search, because interior members are not ther yet?

What about intubating or start IV's on patients before medics arrive, because we cant wait till they get there?

Wow your really extending the issue I'm not talking about using a specialized device, how many hours of training did you get for turning a valve?

And we are still working on the oil truck scenario, if it were something more serious (ie chlorine) whatever, that would be a different story.

Edited by Boss159

Wow your really extending the issue I'm not talking about using a specialized device, how many hours of training did you get for turning a valve?

And we are still working on the oil truck scenario, if it were something more serious (ie chlorine) whatever, that would be a different story.

I don't think he's extending the issue. That tanker has a placard on it's sides and therefore is classified as a hazardous material and needs to be treated as such. I'm not disagreeing that the act of turning off a valve shouldn't require extensive training, but it would place one of us within/at the location of the spill/leak. And, therefore, needs to be treated and handled in the proper way. And proper does not involve placing a non-trained member into a hazardous situation for which they have had no training . At that point, it becomes a legal issue, especially if on the very slim chance that this particular scenario turns sour.

If it was a milk truck...it wouldn't have a placard and I imagine the tank valve could safely be turned off without the full level of hazmat training. I think if we wouldn't be allowed to close a valve on a leaking milk truck, then the issue would be extended...

Edited by efermann

....the very slim chance that this particular scenario turns sour.

If it was a milk truck...it wouldn't have a placard and I imagine the tank valve could safely be turned off without the full level of hazmat training. I think if we wouldn't be allowed to close a valve on a leaking milk truck, then the issue would be extended...

It may depend on whether the milk was pasturized or raw. Raw milk, due to the possibility of high bacteria levels, could be considered a hazardous material when spilled. Milk is also a marine pollutant if spilled into a waterway. It displaces oxygen in the water and will suffocate fish.

Not extending it, But this is a learning forum and a lot of firefighters may not understand that what they do not know can hurt or kill them.

The law is clear that you must be trained to Operations level to be allowed to respond to any call (not just hazmat). The numbers of firefighters trained to this only a fraction of the number of firefighters that departments claim to have. At the operations level you are tought what your limitations are. You need to be a Technician to approach the tank with the purpose of plugging, ptching or otherwise stopping the leak. Thats been in state and federal law since the mid 1990's. The training time is to learn when and which valves, they don't short cut it by just training you on this oil truck incident.

Which way does the valve turn? Does this tank have spring loaded remote emergency valves? Does that need to be set 1st?

Whats the big deal? Previously you said valves and hatches, touching the hatch can release it. Whats the cost......you touch it and something goes wrong you and the department now own this mess. When the shipper gets the $200k - $400K clean up bill do you think they or the insurance co. might look to see if someone else can cover this bill?

It would be pretty easy for a lawyer to prove if the responding firefighters did not meet the minimum standards of federal and state law.

How many hazmat calls do depts respond to without the proper level of training. Do you consider gasoline, fuel oil, LPG, natural gas, or carbon monoxide to be hazmat calls? What about MVA's (sodium azide)? EMS calls (bio hazards)? Fire calls?

Can you explain in hazmat terms what actually occurs during a flashover or backdraft? These are basic concepts that are taught in Hazmat Tech. Is it important for firefighters to understand these concepts.

You stated that this is not a serious hazmat. How do you define serious? What are the potential hazards of exposure to fuel oil?

Cardiovascular:

arrhythmia

bradycardia

tachycardia

hypoxia/cyanosis

Respiratory:

irregular breathing

slow breathing

rapid breathing

shortness of breath

wheezing

respiratory arrest

resp burning/irritation

pulmonary edema

chest discomfort

congestion

coughing/choking

coughing blood

hypoxia/cyanosis

From the U.S. National Library of Medicine. National Institutes of Health

If this was a chlorine tank, approaching the tank without proper training & equipment is deadly, but what can a firefighter who is at the ops level do to protect the community that is down wind from this poision cloud?

So wait, does or does not the NYS FF1 include a HMFRO section, I remember vividly the haz-mat section and being told that we were HMFRO but apparently that is not case. Can anyone clarify...

So wait, does or does not the NYS FF1 include a HMFRO section, I remember vividly the haz-mat section and being told that we were HMFRO but apparently that is not case. Can anyone clarify...

This completed the training, but your employeer (department) must certify that you meet the minimum standard of the law. OFPC courses can not do that because you need to show that you know the equipment, PPE and SOP's that your department has established.

The certification requires the following:

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)

First responder operations level. First responders at the operations level are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous substances as part of the initial response to the site for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release. They are trained to respond in a defensive fashion without actually trying to stop the release. Their function is to contain the release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposures. First responders at the operational level shall have received at least eight hours of training or have had sufficient experience to objectively demonstrate competency in the following areas in addition to those listed for the awareness level and the employer shall so certify:

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)(A)

Knowledge of the basic hazard and risk assessment techniques.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)(B)

Know how to select and use proper personal protective equipment provided to the first responder operational level.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)©

An understanding of basic hazardous materials terms.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)(D)

Know how to perform basic control, containment and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment available with their unit.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)(E)

Know how to implement basic decontamination procedures.

1910.120(q)(6)(ii)(F)

An understanding of the relevant standard operating procedures and termination procedures.

If the dept. has certified you (and they need to have a paper trail) then you are good to go.

This same scenario actually happened in my hometown a few years back, the only difference was that the truck landed into a 2 1/2 story house.

The oil truck (#2 home heating oil) came down the hill into the intersection near the police station and rolled over just west of the PD. The entire contents of the oil truck were lost covering the street (including the front ramp of the firehouse on that street) over the hillside to Main Street located about 50 feet below the dead end portion of the street.

A full structure response was transmitted do to the truck being into the house and also a lot of the product settling there. This brought 2 engines, a ladder, a squad, and the ambulance corps ambulance & rescue and a regional medic. (The engine and squad were located two lots down from the accident scene). With this in mind, the IC special called two more engines and left one in in quarters to cover the town. The neighboring town was contacted for their HazMat (472) Technician team and also CT DEP, which has a staffed officer in the neighboring town, to the scene. A second medic, second ambulance, Public Works, the town WPCA rep and also a rep from the water company were dispatched as well.

Members from my home town's department began diking and diverting though a great majority of the product already entered into the the storm drains, however those lines are connected directly into our town's sewage treatment plant. Down on Main Street, that was a hairy situation as there were some storm drains were believed to be directly piped to the river as well as some old canal race-tails that were filled in but could also cause a problem.

All manpower were assigned to their respective companies with the officers keeping track were they were operating and notifying the CP. Speedy dry was applied, PW provided clean sand with their trucks and DEP called in a clean up team. Our apparatus were staged in various places, the majority being uphill from the accident scene and the two trucks at the station were left in their bays and only equipment stripped off of it until the DEP rep gave the okay for the apparatus to be removed from the area (they continued to operate later on through the day before be relocated to PW for storage for a few days). Units were also down on Main Street and all access to the area was closed off.

As for the house, the first floor originally served as a old store and the building was extensively renovated and cleaned and the concrete floor was removed in the building (the first floor also served as the basement).

Unfortunately, this same oil firm suffered a similar accident a few weeks later in another town, same scenario.