Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyC3J

FDNY's newest in-service rig

19 posts in this topic

Here's a few shots of FDNY's newest apparatus. Tower Ladder 46 was placed in service last Wednesday (?) and the on-duty crew was generous enough to pose it in front of quarters for members and guests of the New Jersey Metro Fire Photographers Association this past Sunday.

post-2788-127419863229.jpg

post-2788-127419866384.jpg

post-2788-127419869989.jpg

post-2788-127419873165.jpg

Alpinerunner likes this

Andy, nice shots as usual, thank you for sharing. Definately a nice looking truck. Where is TL46 located?

I just have one issue...in the 3rd picture down, you can clearly see that the rig is blocking the hydrant :PB)

Thanks!

E-81/TL-46 are stationed at 3025 Bailey Ave. in the Bronx. As for the hydrant......our bus blocked one at one stop as well. More than one member joked what a great shot it would make to see two windows of said bus busted out and have a hose line stretched through it to connect to the plug!

Nice shots, great looking rig. What year was the ladder that got replaced?

Nice shots, great looking rig. What year was the ladder that got replaced?

The old TL was a 1997. atleat thats what FDNYtrucks.com says.

The old TL was a 1997. atleat thats what FDNYtrucks.com says.

I think that they actually had a '99. That being said, give or take a year, we are on a fairly consistent 10 year replacement program.

L-46 prior apparatus was ST9703 and was one of the oldest TL'S still in service. This new batch of TL'S will replace the remaining 97 units and then move on through years 98,99 and 2000. I hope to post pictures when i return from vacation of compartments and set up of equipment. As for the 10 year replacement this unit and the others were way overdue but due to manufacture issues and changes needed to TL design these units were delayed a few times.

Edited by Mac8146

Can you elaborate on the manufacturer issues as well as the tower ladder design changes made?

FDNY has issues with the cat tails system originally added to new design, these are aerialscopeII units and have been modified from original. The cat tails were removed and a different system used, also the boom was greaseless and FDNY spec's greaseable. These issues were discussed on a previous thread. The first unit is on seagraves website as a demo, this was refused as i understand it by FDNY. The delays also stem from problems with the 06 Towers which lead to the aerialscopeII design, if anyone knows more please add

L-46 prior apparatus was ST9703 and was one of the oldest TL'S still in service. This new batch of TL'S will replace the remaining 97 units and then move on through years 98,99 and 2000. I hope to post pictures when i return from vacation of compartments and set up of equipment. As for the 10 year replacement this unit and the others were way overdue but due to manufacture issues and changes needed to TL design these units were delayed a few times.

I would personally love to see the compartment pics of the FDNY TL's if you could get them. I've always been curious about the compartment layout and equipment carried by the FDNY.

I would personally love to see the compartment pics of the FDNY TL's if you could get them. I've always been curious about the compartment layout and equipment carried by the FDNY.

Just note 46 is a SOC truck so they have some additional training in Haz-Mat and Rescue Operations. Addtionally they are equipped with additional equipment. For the most part this equipment is kept in a utility body truck. Most SOC trucks do place some of that equipment on the primary rig so they have it in the event they need it. Not sure how 46 is set up but I have seen companies carry the rope rescue equipment and all carry their metering equipment (MSA 5 Star, Cirus, Passport) on the tower or aerial.

Do FDNY tower ladders carry extrication equipment?

The aerial device might be different, but other than that, a truck is a truck. Sometimes there is a rearmount and a TL on a box, sometimes two rearmounts or occasionally two towers. They both carry the same compliment of tools. A tower ladder would only be specified on a response if there was a need for the bucket. The most common need would be to act as an elevated master stream.

How does the amount of compartment space compare between the trucks FDNY operates. I would imagine that of the three (tiller, rearmount, and tower ladder) the tower would have the least amount of compartment space.

How does the amount of compartment space compare between the trucks FDNY operates. I would imagine that of the three (tiller, rearmount, and tower ladder) the tower would have the least amount of compartment space.

You'd be surprised. It'd be interesting to see an actual cubic ft. number, but that aside, I'd bet it's fairly similar. What the T.L. lacks in compartments space (and it's not that much) it makes up for in "deck space". I'm referring to the area around the boom. Also, remember that a tiller and rear-mount have to allot space for 2 lengths of 2-1/2" hose and other components for a ladder pipe.

I'd bet that it works out to be a wash...more or less.

Not vastly different but the rear mounts have more compartment space. More stuff on the TL is out in the open (stokes, all cribbing).

Nice Looking Truck! Isn't TL46 suppose to be Green! lol

Nice Looking Truck! Isn't TL46 suppose to be Green! lol

tommy umm yeah one problem they can level theirs on one try... and RED is the proper color

M' Ave likes this