Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FD7807

Tarrytown AFG Grant

15 posts in this topic

Congratulations to Tarrytown for obtaining this grant. We might look at Tarrytown as a little village along the Hudson BUT if we Look at Tarrytown in depth.

1-major railroad into and out of NYC

2-major roadway 87--287-- and the TZB

3-aquaduct system runs through the Village for NYC water system

4-the Hudson river

5-national political buildings--Nigerian Embassy

6-religious assemblies including Rev SunYoun Moon

I am sure there are other towns and villages that are in the same situation, I am just g lad Tarrytown was finally able to get some additional money.

Congrats to Tarrytown on earning this grant!!

Congrats to Tarrytown, but I have a question in regards to the facility changes. Is the purpose of the new area to do all FF1&2 at HQ and not up the road at the training center? Unless equiped with smoke house and live burn area you will still be travelling up the road. Not trying to start a fight, just trying to understand the grant.

Thanks

also in the reguards to FF1 FF2 I believe to get NYS certificiation and credit you need to have a County or State Instructor. You can teach FF1 and give them a local department certificiate but it is not going to be on any ones State Certifications and therefor cant be used to take any othe State courses that require FF1 as a prerequsite like Safety/survival,FAST,EVOC ect. just a point of interest.

As far as I know, the plan is to allow funding to allow members to take the courses at the county training center, not to hold them in Tarrytown, but don't quote me on that.

also in the reguards to FF1 FF2 I believe to get NYS certificiation and credit you need to have a County or State Instructor. You can teach FF1 and give them a local department certificiate but it is not going to be on any ones State Certifications and therefor cant be used to take any othe State courses that require FF1 as a prerequsite like Safety/survival,FAST,EVOC ect. just a point of interest.

This grant was written for an accrediated FF1/FF2 course to be taught by a NYSFI or a WC FI to teach the course and thus gain certificates. THe point of the Federal Govt. giving out large sums of money for training is in an effort to raise the certification levels of the awarded FD[

just letting you know that there may be problems getting a FI or a SFI to teach at a non approved training site. Not saying it cant be done ,in fact it should be done ,and has been suggested to let FI's teach at any facility as long as it gets county approval. If you need help you know where to find me.

Edited by firecapt32

As for the modify facilities portion of the grant, is that to build a training structure and/or classrooms?

no its to retrofit firehouses (not the 2 new structures) with approved exhaust removal system

As for the modify facilities portion of the grant, is that to build a training structure and/or classrooms?

Congratulations Tarrytown FD!

just letting you know that there may be problems getting a FI or a SFI to teach at a non approved training site. Not saying it cant be done ,in fact it should be done ,and has been suggested to let FI's teach at any facility as long as it gets county approval. If you need help you know where to find me.

What makes a training site qualify to be approved? Are there written standards for a training site?

I agree that it should be done. Otherwise if your willing to pay they can get Buck's County for instance to come in to NY teach a class and do National Certs and then they meet the prerequisites. Kinda silly that if we can't get the training done for our guys and PA is comming in and doing it.

Chris

I believe there are certin things that have to be met to qualify, dont hold me to it , but i believe it includes a burn building--a tower- water flow - classrooms - things like that. The tower has to be structurly sound things along that line. but again not 100%sure