Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
masterofmetal85

Yonkers EMS Contract Discussion Thread

20 posts in this topic

a lot of rumors are circling around about Empress losing the entire yonkers to TransCare that TC is either trying to sink their teeth into that area or already have begun doing something there can anyone confirm because if that occurs it surely throws Empress right out of business

Rumors are rumors, and until anything factual comes out we can only speculate. The only thing that can be said is that Empress has been in Yonkers for a very long time and from everything I've heard ( including when I worked there) they have a very good relationship with the city of Yonkers. Also empress has SOD including the hazmat, and biological training team, where from my knowledge TC does not. Who knows what will happen though. I'm sure TC is trying to take another shot at Yonkers though considering it is a business.

The rumor about Yonkers has been around for some time now (since about the time TC trumped MV). Empress is indeed deeply rooted in Yonkers and it would quite an upset if the contract were given to someone else. TC/Alamo was a longtime provider of EMS in Poughkeepsie but that was lost to MLSS. Stranger things have happened so who knows. For now rumors are just that, Rumors. Only time will tell.

Admittedly tho, if TC wants to be the "Driving Force" like their motto says, they need to start getting into arenas that other providers are in but they are not yet. Things like tactical EMS, hazmat operations, etc. Agencies like Empress and MLSS have had RSI and CPAP for years yet TC is only starting to get CPAP in some areas. Some could argue that Yonkers going to TC would affect patient care with the lack of RSI and CPAP provision. But that is just one arguing point. Ironically I think the coin was on the other side when Amiodarone first came out. TC was carrying it in NYC and FDNY wasn't (yet) and TC was harping that as a selling point saying they were better. To each their own I guess.

The only good thing about Rumors was the album

Fleetwood Mac Rumours !!!!! A classic.....

Transcare couldn't handle Yonkers right off the bat, nor provide all the services Empress provides to Yonkers. Also, the relationships between EMS personel in the city and FD/EMS are generally great, and better trained and equipped then Transcare employees.

And with Transcare not being union, and the Yonkers City Council currently being anti-union, one could consider that a "selling point" to prove something to City employees.Empress has a union. Yonkers PD and FD have strong unions, and I'd like to see them help if anything was to happen. Also, I'd have the union and Empress tracking every move Transcare makes in Yonkers. And with Transcare not being union, and the Yonkers City Council currently being anti-union right now, one could consider that a "selling point" to prove something to City employees currently bargaining for a contract.

And it would NOT "surely" drive Empress out of business, as they lose money on the Yonkers contract. Empress provides EMS for free, and bills the patient. In Yonkers, the collection rate is low. They also have other contracts with Yorktown and a multitude of facilities.

Unless Transcare does something like they did to get the Mount Vernon contract, I don't see this happening. But, as the saying goes, Yonkers, the city of hills where nothing is on the level.

There's also history of companies growing too big too fast, and not suceeeding.

Transcare couldn't handle Yonkers right off the bat, nor provide all the services Empress provides to Yonkers. Also, the relationships between EMS personel in the city and FD/EMS are generally great, and better trained and equipped then Transcare employees.

Agreed. However, given the way things are right now, the low bid may sneak in.

Agreed. However, given the way things are right now, the low bid may sneak in.

There is no bid. Empress provides EMS to the city for free, and is allowed to keep a percentage of the billing. However, the collection rate is very low so Empress I don't think Empress even breaks even some years, although methods they developed will hopefully help things. Empress actually loses money on the Yonkers contract, but continues to invest in serving the citizens of Yonkers and supporting other agencies. For Empress, money isn't everything....if that were true, they would have been gone years ago.

How did they get the MV contract?

i currently am employed at empress and i can tell you for sure that TRANSCARE is not going to be in yonkers, RUMORS,RUMORS,RUMORS. SETH MAKES GREAT POINTS IN HIS SAYINGS..............

How did they get the MV contract?

There is no 'contract', there is a response agreement. What did they offer? A second dedicated ambulance and a guaranteed better response time than Empress was providing. The city now tracks response time with Transcare, something it didn't do with Empress in the last few years.

I love the assumptons left and right here, it's laughable. Assuming about training, ability to cover contracts, relationships, equipment and billing rates. LET'S NOT CHECK THE FACTS BEFORE WE POST, LET'S USE FACTPINIONS!!!

I love the assumptons left and right here, it's laughable. Assuming about training, ability to cover contracts, relationships, equipment and billing rates. LET'S NOT CHECK THE FACTS BEFORE WE POST, LET'S USE FACTPINIONS!!!

Is the Special Operations Response or Communications/Command truck a "factpinon"? Is the fact Empress has worked closely with the fire department to prepare and obtain equipment for disasters a "factpinion? Is the amount of training Empress gives its personel a "factpinion"? Is Empress being the first agency in the county to try something new on multiple occasions a "factpinion"? Is the fact that Empress has a supervisor dedicated to Yonkers a "factpinion"? Is the fact Empress has served the city for over 20 years, building relationships and knowledge, a "factpinion"? Has the fact that Empress is one of the only companies that hasn't changed names or hands a "factpinion"? I think if you check my facts, you'll find them correct.

Anyone can provide basic EMS in Yonkers, but no one can or probaly will provide the service Empress EMS does.

So, how is it "laughable"?

Now, a seperate issue, Transcare offered a second ambulance, it's too bad Empress didn't have a chance to make an offer or have a chance to show how and why their system works.

Is the Special Operations Response or Communications/Command truck a "factpinon"? Is the fact Empress has worked closely with the fire department to prepare and obtain equipment for disasters a "factpinion? Is the amount of training Empress gives its personel a "factpinion"? Is Empress being the first agency in the county to try something new on multiple occasions a "factpinion"? Is the fact that Empress has a supervisor dedicated to Yonkers a "factpinion"? Is the fact Empress has served the city for over 20 years, building relationships and knowledge, a "factpinion"? Has the fact that Empress is one of the only companies that hasn't changed names or hands a "factpinion"? I think if you check my facts, you'll find them correct.

Anyone can provide basic EMS in Yonkers, but no one can or probaly will provide the service Empress EMS does.

So, how is it "laughable"?

Now, a seperate issue, Transcare offered a second ambulance, it's too bad Empress didn't have a chance to make an offer or have a chance to show how and why their system works.

Actually, with the exception of the SOR vehicle's existence YES, the rest are all 'factpinions'. The existence of a relationship with the city/FD/PD is NOT a guarantee of future performance and in fact can be a negative because exceptions to agreements/rules/contracts are now pretty much expected or allowed (thats an opinion on my part). We can go back an forth with things that Company A has or does versus Company B has or does but at the end of the day, guess what? EMS IS A BUSINESS. There are no allegiances amongst companies, amongst municipalities, amongst workers. If Empress wants to make sure that they keep a contract, they have to make sure that they provide a service that is SO good that no one else can 1.) offer or 2.) actually provide. Does Empress do that for Yonkers, maybe, guess we'll find that out over the next few months. Did Empress do that for Mount Vernon? I'm gonna have to say no since Mount Vernon walked away from a 15 year relationship. As for the ins and outs of how or why that happened? I don't know the behind the door dealings but I do know that this is what can happen in ANY commercial provider agreement, any company is one handshake away from a 'contract', that's the nature of commercial EMS. To expect anything otherwise is laughable.

SRS131EMTFF likes this

that's the nature of commercial EMS

I do agree with some of your points. However, no matter what happens with Empress if anything, if Transcare dominates the southern Westchester market with little to no competion, that's not going to be a good thing for employees of either comapnies. Not like any company is competing with better benefits packages or pay anyways. Also, facilities would have little choice for serivce if they are disatisfied with one company.

And EMS should never be a business. I wish Yonkers FD, PD, or even it's own agency, was in the position to take over EMS, but with the city's current financial condition, I don't see that happening anytime soon. There is a lot of EMS talent within Yonkers FD and PD that could make that a reality if the funding were there.

And if something does happen to Empress, Westchester EMS I would hope would be poised to at least take over the Yorktown contact. Or maybe Yorktown/Mohegan are ready to start their own service?

I'm also not demonizing Transcare, and I'm sure they could handle the contract if it came to that, however they would have to obviously add a lot to the company in order to handle Yonkers. Every company has it's pros and cons and problems. It's just that I've seen them go from Transcare, to the merger with Metrocare, the scandal involving upper level Metropolitan Ambulance management, and then back to Transcare. Personally, I feel they are getting too big, too fast. It didn't prove succesful in the long term for AMR or Rural Metro. I would just hope they kept on all Empress's empoyees, especially since a lot of them have been with the company for many years. Additionally, I hope they would provide the same community service and innovation that Empress provides or has provided, such as the Westchester EMS conference and continuing all the work for training and equipment for MCI's and Hazmat/Tech Rescue situations.

Okay...I've seen the contract, in fact it is right in front of me...it says Empress...end of debate...have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Just out of curiosity, what is the effective date of the Yonkers contract and the term (1 year, 3 years, renewals, etc).

And if something does happen to Empress, Westchester EMS I would hope would be poised to at least take over the Yorktown contact. Or maybe Yorktown/Mohegan are ready to start their own service?

The idea of Cortlandt Peekskill Paramedics extending coverage to include Yorktown has also been discussed.

Just out of curiosity, what is the effective date of the Yonkers contract and the term (1 year, 3 years, renewals, etc).

The idea of Cortlandt Peekskill Paramedics extending coverage to include Yorktown has also been discussed.

Who funds Cortlandt Peekskill Paramedics?

Funding is from the municipalities of Cortlandt, Peekskill, and Buchanan (I'm not sure if Buchanan contributes directly or via town taxes).

Okay...I've seen the contract, in fact it is right in front of me...it says Empress...end of debate...have a great Memorial Day weekend.

OK, wiseguy, what does the contract say besides "Empress"? B) When does it start? When does it end? Is it a new contract or the existing one? Perhaps there's a new one in the offing that is causing everyone to speculate.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend too!

OK, wiseguy, what does the contract say besides "Empress"? B) When does it start? When does it end? Is it a new contract or the existing one? Perhaps there's a new one in the offing that is causing everyone to speculate.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend too!

January 2k9 to Dec. 31 2k11...and may be renewed for 2 additional 1 year terms by the city. Unless Empress chooses to leave with 6 months written notice.