Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Fireboat John J. Harvey boat ride

6 posts in this topic

The Fireboat John J. Harvey is offering Free boat rides this coming Saturday, June 12, 2010 from the Yonkers Pier. This ride is offered in conjunction with The Beczak Environmental Education Center. The author of "My River Chronicles: Rediscovering America on the Hudson" Jessica DuLong will be at the Center for a presentation about this book which details her experiences as the Engineer of the John J. Harvey. According to this website, the book is about how she went from a dot-com desk job to the job on the Harvey, where she and the rest of the crew pumped while the boat was at the World Trade Center on 9/11/01.

According to the schedule posted, the Fireboat will be on display from 12P - 5P, with rides at 5P & 6P. Reservations for the rides are required and can be found here.

I have already signed up for the 5P ride, definately sounds interesting. From what is posted they state they will be pumping water and to be prepared to get wet.

The Fireboat John J. Harvey is offering Free boat rides this coming Saturday, June 12, 2010 from the Yonkers Pier. This ride is offered in conjunction with The Beczak Environmental Education Center. The author of "My River Chronicles: Rediscovering America on the Hudson" Jessica DuLong will be at the Center for a presentation about this book which details her experiences as the Engineer of the John J. Harvey. According to this website, the book is about how she went from a dot-com desk job to the job on the Harvey, where she and the rest of the crew pumped while the boat was at the World Trade Center on 9/11/01.

According to the schedule posted, the Fireboat will be on display from 12P - 5P, with rides at 5P & 6P. Reservations for the rides are required and can be found here.

I have already signed up for the 5P ride, definately sounds interesting. From what is posted they state they will be pumping water and to be prepared to get wet.

How is the walking from the parking lot to the boat? Too much for a semi-handicapped person to walk? How is it getting on the boat as far as moving around is concerned? I gather you've been on before, so you would know. Thanks!

How is the walking from the parking lot to the boat? Too much for a semi-handicapped person to walk? How is it getting on the boat as far as moving around is concerned? I gather you've been on before, so you would know. Thanks!

I have not been on the Harvey, or even to the Yonkers Pier (although I have seen it while riding the MetroNorth down to NYC). Looking at the Yonkers Pier on Wikimapia.org it looks like there is parking in the area. Maybe one of our Yonkers members can comment on the parking. As for handicap accessible, I looked around Fireboat.org and could not find anything about the handicap accessibility of the boat. Try sending them an email at trips@Fireboat.org for more info (this is the only way I found to contact them at the site).

NOTE: This is late breaking news, The Harvey is offering a FREE trip Tuesday 6/8/10 from NYC Pier 66 (the Harvey's home pier) to Kingston and Poughkeepsie/Rhinecliff for connections to MetroNorth back to NYC. You must be at Pier 66 by 8AM and they expect to be at Poughkeepsie around 4PM and Kingston/Rhinebeck around 6PM. If you go the calendar says to bring food and drink.

Anyone along the Hudson tomorrow may be able to catch a shot of this boat.

I have not been on the Harvey, or even to the Yonkers Pier (although I have seen it while riding the MetroNorth down to NYC). Looking at the Yonkers Pier on Wikimapia.org it looks like there is parking in the area. Maybe one of our Yonkers members can comment on the parking. As for handicap accessible, I looked around Fireboat.org and could not find anything about the handicap accessibility of the boat. Try sending them an email at trips@Fireboat.org for more info (this is the only way I found to contact them at the site).

NOTE: This is late breaking news, The Harvey is offering a FREE trip Tuesday 6/8/10 from NYC Pier 66 (the Harvey's home pier) to Kingston and Poughkeepsie/Rhinecliff for connections to MetroNorth back to NYC. You must be at Pier 66 by 8AM and they expect to be at Poughkeepsie around 4PM and Kingston/Rhinebeck around 6PM. If you go the calendar says to bring food and drink.

Thanks so much for the info and for responding! :-)

Damn... and I have to work... I missed out on a ride when they were up in Poughkeepsie last year, very disappointed!!