Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

FAST Team Training At Camp Smith?

11 posts in this topic

This one is fot the Bedford Hills how was the training at camp smith. i just want to know what i got my self in for.

I hear its tough - I'm taking it this weekend at camp smith. I'll let you know!

Hey guys, i took the FAST class at Camp Smith on February 26th/27th and it was awesome! The instructors were Tom Macpherson (City of Peekskill FD/ALS), Jeff Dygert (City of Auburn FD) & Erik Verfuss (City of Cortland FD). The instructors were great, we learned a hell of a lot, but they kept it fun at the same time.

I would reccommend getting a decent nights sleep & to not go out partying all night. It is a pretty physical class & you will be pretty drained by the end of the day, especially the 2nd day when there are more evolutions!

Word to the wise, try not to get teamed up with the heavier guys in the class because you will have to drag/push them during large area searches & drag/push them up a flight of stairs! But then again, if you can drag & pull the hevy guys, you can definately handle the skinny ones! And its always good to challenge yourself because you don't know what you'll be faced with on the fire ground!

We had about 10 guys from Bedford Hills, 6 from Putnam Valley, 4 or 5 from Brewster, 1 from Larchmont, 1 from Croton & me and another guy from Buchanan. We all had a great time & learned a whole lot. It was also nice to work with guys that you wouldn't normally work with.

I would highly reccommend the FAST class to ANY firefighter, even if your department doesn't operate a FASTeam!

Just wondering what departments are going to be at the fast class on saturday because mahopac falls is going to represented

Well - I just got home from Day #1 - It is quite a large class. The represented departments are (forgive me if i miss anyone):

Ossining, Millwood, Croton, Mahopac Falls, Yorktown, Hughsonville, Garrison, Ardsley, Eastchester, and one other that I can't remember their name - B-----ville from Onendaga County.

Today we spent 4 hours in the classroom, broke for lunch, and then spent about another 3 learning the different methods of Large Area Room Search, and Victim removal. Today was the easy day. We start at 0800 tomorrow and go until we finish. This class will really tell you if your out of shape or not.

I also want to send my regards to one of the firefighters from Ardsley who injured his back durning one of the evolutions, and had to be removed by ambulance. Best of Luck

648eng119 That would be baldwinville dont ask me where that is

Baldwinville is up near syrauces please for give my miss spelling.

Also the Ardsley firefighter is fine I brought him home today he was fine.

CM36, Glad to hear your fellow FF is ok. Bad enough to get hurt on a call, but in a class is even worse.

All I can say...WHAT A CLASS! - I reccomend this class to anyone who can ppossibly take it. Even if your dept doesn't have a FASTeam. The second day was exhausting, but fun and challenging at the same time. I talked to the guys from Baldwinsville, and told them about this website, so who knows, they may be popping up sometime soon. I think I did miss a few departments on my easrlier post. I know Briarcliff Manor was there, adn now I can't remember the other one, but as soon as it comes to me I'll put it up.

The instructors were:

Carl Houmand - Monticello FD

Chris Whitby, Middletown FD

Mike Heidi - Endicott FD

All 3 of them were great. I can only hope I will be lucky enough to take another class with them.

I agree with 648.

I enjoyed what I learned in this class so much that I've taken it twice. Anything you can learn to save yourself or your brothers is worth taking. I took the original pilot class and I took it again in February 2003. The one thing I noticed that I really appreciated was the different approaches each Instructor takes. Like they always say, "there's more then one way to skin a chicken."

This was by far the best class that i have taken in a while. The group of guys that was in the class where great. I learned so much, I just hope that i never have to use.