Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TCD0415

What Happened To All The Photographers ?

13 posts in this topic

What happened to the great fire scene photographs that used to get posted on EMTBravo ? There were a bunch of really good photographers that frequently got 1st due shots (made me kinda wonder sometimes..... kidding) of jobs in the area. We rarely see this anymore, other than a few who grab some cell phone shots once in a while.....

I personally miss this and was one of the main reasons for visiting EMTBravo. A lot can be learned from some of these.

I also have noticed this... It seems like the site has a lot less photography. Is there just a decline in interest?

The interest level in posting photos has (unfortunately) taken a nose-dive, in part, due to the negative comments about the operations depicted, that almost always seem to find their way into these threads.

Many of our members who have posted numerous photos in the past have become jaded from the same, tired comments, about masks and straps and whatnot being worn improperly, and as a result, no longer do so.

In fact, a new site policy eliminates public comments in photo threads so they can be more like a gallery, to view without members "input".

We are hopeful this policy will encourage those who formerly posted great photos to resume sharing their work.

wraftery, TAPSJ and helicopper like this

The interest level in posting photos has (unfortunately) taken a nose-dive, in part, due to the negative comments about the operations depicted, that almost always seem to find their way into these threads.

Many of our members who have posted numerous photos in the past have become jaded from the same, tired comments, about masks and straps and whatnot being worn improperly, and as a result, no longer do so.

In fact, a new site policy eliminates public comments in photo threads so they can be more like a gallery, to view without members "input".

We are hopeful this policy will encourage those who formerly posted great photos to resume sharing their work.

You're right on, Jack. Every time a fire photo got posted, the guy or operation got picked apart by the know-it-alls down to the most miniscu;e of "sightings." The "sightings" are things like "OOH, look, I hit Zoom in seven times and found that the FF pictured has his right shoe double knotted but not his left. This is a major safety hazard. That shoelace could suffer a catastrophic failure"

The photo guys that used to post here are very good at what they do. (Pinto, Messar. Bendick, etc). I hope hey didn't give it up.

How 'bout the rest of us just look at the picture and don't be stupid?

helicopper likes this

How 'bout the rest of us just look at the picture and don't be stupid?

Well put.. remember a picture is just a snapshot of a short amount of time in real life.

TAPSJ likes this

Honestly, at least in Southern Westchester, there haven't been that many jobs recently.

Did anyone stop to think that maybe the photographers that are usually posting in here are either busy or maybe they are tired of posting pictures to have them criticized.

TAPSJ likes this

Did anyone stop to think that maybe the photographers that are usually posting in here are either busy or maybe they are tired of posting pictures to have them criticized.

I am thinking the latter..........

or maybe they are tired of posting pictures to have them criticized.

Which is why we recently enacted the following policy as Jack mentioned above:

When you post photos, it will allow you to put your photos in a new thread and then lock, so no cam reply, crtiicize, or disect every time someone posts photos. The photo section will be more like a gallery.

We hope this move will encourage some of our photographers to return, and also some new ones to start contributing.

Which is why we recently enacted the following policy as Jack mentioned above:

When you post photos, it will allow you to put your photos in a new thread and then lock, so no cam reply, crtiicize, or disect every time someone posts photos. The photo section will be more like a gallery.

We hope this move will encourage some of our photographers to return, and also some new ones to start contributing.

This isn't a bad idea, but I am sure those that want to pick at a picture (an example is the new tankers in dutchess) will start a thread to make comments.

And Truck4 is right, there hasn't been much "action" recently. (A good thing!)

This isn't a bad idea, but I am sure those that want to pick at a picture (an example is the new tankers in dutchess) will start a thread to make comments.

Its not always bad stuff when pictures are commented. I started it to ask questions about the new tankers not to critize the pictures or the tankers, I think posting pictures are great and good comments are better, but you will get some bad comments, but thier is no differance when you talk about something at the firehouse instead of here.

Thomas

If someone wants to start a thread to discuss photos they can but it will be a separate forum so those who just want to view the photos can do so without all the commentary and vice versa, you can discuss all you want in a thread for that purpose.

Moderators will also insure that the discussion isn't bashing or other prohibited conduct. Starting a thread to have an intelligent discussion will always be encouraged. Starting a thread to bash an operation will not.

Thanks for seeing this and attempting to rectify this. Kinda my intention in beginning this post.

I hope we can see some of the old school photographers come back and show their stuff, which was some pretty amazing photography and was appreciated by a lot of people.

TAPSJ likes this