Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Portsmouth OH Fire Buff

FDNY E46 1996 E-One

19 posts in this topic

Just looking at some FDNY rigs to pass the time and stumbled upon this '96 E-One and also saw a 2001 ALF with E34 in Manhattan

Interesting to the the E-One in the City. Possibly a trial one?

As for the ALF, judging by the year, (I am far from an FDNY buff at all), would it be safe to venture a guess it was a Post 9/11 donated rig? (Take note the replacement rig for that one was a 2002, not even a year after the previous one).

The ALF did not make it in Hells Kitchen. I heard there were problems with the rig so they requested another truck. They got a Seagrave and the ALF was sent to the FDNY Station on Govenors Island. As for the others, there are currently no Spartan apparatus in the FDNY fleet and the only E-Ones are Rescue 2,3,4 and 5. Please correct me I if am wrong.

Edited by firedude

The ALF did not make it in Hells Kitchen. I heard there were problems with the rig so they requested another truck. They got a Seagrave and the ALF was sent to the FDNY Station on Govenors Island. As for the others, there are currently no Spartan apparatus in the FDNY fleet and the only E-Ones are Rescue 2,3,4 and 5. Please correct me I if am wrong.

Here's the fate of these rigs;

The Spartan Arielscope is still in service at Truck 53 on City Island, the company is in danger of closing btw.

The ALF is in service on Governors Island, although budget cuts ended the station there, it is occasionally staffed.

The E-One, no clue what happened to it. Just a demo, also saw service at Engine 8 in midtown.

Here's the fate of these rigs;

The E-One, no clue what happened to it. Just a demo, also saw service at Engine 8 in midtown.

The E-One also saw service with E-275 in Queens. I think it eventually went back to E-One and was sold as a demo (I'm not positive ... my memory isn't what it used to be ...)

My link

The E-One also saw service with 8 Eng, and 290 Eng...290 was the last stop...it was towed away.

Engine 283 lightbars- either a test by the FD or changed by the guys

Engine 290- Same engine, im pretty sure

Engine 8- same as above

Engine 26, 54, 258- high pressure rigs

Kensworth Haz- Mat- donated after 9/11, seems to have worked out good for the department

isn't collapse resuce 3 a spartan?

isn't collapse resuce 3 a spartan?

Collapse Rescue 3 and 5 are both Spartans. Excellent looking rigs.

There were 2 ALF rearmount tower ladders, 1 at TL14 and one at TL163.

The Foam Tender Unit is one-of-a-kind...and is one of the least called units in the city. It has 3 1000-gallon foam cells and like all the other foam units is probably in need of replacement.

The 1996 E-one was in fact a demo, it was shopped around several busy companies (Engs. 8, 64, 275, 290 off the top of my head) to see how it would hold up. Since the department didn't hop right on the E-one bandwagon my guess is that it didn't very well.

The 2001 ALF was a post-9/11 acquisition, and is now on Governor's Island.

The Spartan/Aerialscope was a post-9/11 donation from a department in South Carolina and Spartan. It went first to TL105, BOT, and is now at TL53 on City Island.

E283's 2002 Ferrara (the "Spirit of Louisiana") was another post-9/11 donation. It served at E283, then BOT, and was returned to Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina (it led the FDNY convoy down there).

Kenworth HazMat rig was also a post-9/11 gift.

Engs. 26, 54, and 258 are all High-Pressure engines, the first batch ever actually purchased from Ferrara.

The Ryder Collapse Rescue trucks (there were 2 or 3 of them) were put into service in 2005 when every Rescue was assigned a Collapse company (previously only Rescue 3 had a collapse unit). The department didn't have the new rigs yet so they rented some box trucks. If I recall the members weren't too happy about this and I think one of them actually got pulled over once (no lights, sirens, or department radio). The last time these were used was as Collapse Rescue 6 very briefly.

The funky vector lights on E283 were part of a test prior to purchasing the new engines to see what lightbar setup would be most effective. Engs. 221 and 325 also had "funky" lightbars (both units are now spares)

To make the oddity of some of these rigs even more odd.... TL14 & 163 had pumps on them... So did TL14's Sutphen prior to the ALF/LTI Tower.

To make the oddity of some of these rigs even more odd.... TL14 & 163 had pumps on them... So did TL14's Sutphen prior to the ALF/LTI Tower.

And since you added in the Sutphen Ive heard of it before and I know its on The Tower's Patch, any pics of it?

And since you added in the Sutphen Ive heard of it before and I know its on The Tower's Patch, any pics of it?

No I've never come across an online pic of one of them... TL14 TL119... They were not in service very long. I suspect they looked like the rig below.

post-163-095622800 1277401959.jpg

Edited by mfc2257

The 2001 ALF was a post-9/11 acquisition, and is now on Governor's Island.

If I recall correctly, I heard that this engine was a demo from ALF and was immediately purchased by FDNY following 9/11 in their efforts to replace the apparatus that was lost.

Okay, if you see a rig that has different light bars, it was a demo. Research and Development does try new stuff from time to time on in service units to give it a real test. Once they put the light bars on, that's that.

The Ferrara you see with E26 and others, is the Ferrara Ultra Chassis that they designed specifically to compete with Seagrave. They did win the bid for the high pressure units, but that's it. They've had a mixed review. Some say they're O.O.S. too often and they have less interior space, but not much else is different after that. I worked in one once and all I can say is, they ride better.

That rented collapse truck was the quickest way to get large amounts of timber in the hands of a S.O.C. before a specific rig could be spec'd and bid. It's a product of the post 9/11 rush to be prepared. It was returned with the delivery of the Collapse rigs.

283's Ferrara was a generous donation by Louisiana Following 9/11, but it was only in the field briefly before being assigned to Chauffeur Traning School at the Rock. It was not to FDNY spec and that doesn't really fit into our plan. We have a tremendous amount of apparatus and it is beneficial to the firemen and especially The Shops to have things be uniform. The rig was donated back after Hurricane Katrina.

The E-One and ALF were both demo units that performed poorly (hence you saw no more)

The Pierce/Kenworth is used everyday when HazMat 1 responds. They bring both pieces everywhere they go. Seems to be holding up well, I don't see that Mack spare below it used very often.

To bad Pierce won't spec to the FDNY's requirments because I really like Pierce an I think they would look good in the FDNY as you can take an example from the Pierce Arrow XT used in "Rescue ME."

If I remember right from talking to guys in 34 Engine, and riding in it, the ALF was a nice, roomy rig. However, it didn't handle as well as the Seagrave. It was too tall, as it had some problems backing into the older firehouses. Engine 15's house on Henry Street comes to mind. Something about whacking the deck gun on the door. After it was at 34, it went to 257 and then to GI. If I remember right, it wasn't a high pressure pumper and 34 had a new one coming after theirs was demolished at the Trade Center. The ALF was a demo that was donated afterwards.

I've heard the same thing that M said about the Ferraras, from a guy who was assigned to 54 Engine. They were tight. First glance, it does look a bit like a Seagrave.(Kinda like the Concorde looked like an ALF Eagle) There was another one built that was used on Third Watch as Squad 55.

I don't think the Sutphens were demo models, just "one Offs", same as the ALF/LTI's. Both Sutphens were 1979 or 80 models. I have a pic of 14 Truck with the Sutphen on the computer at work. I remember a news story on it and 119, and seeing it in action once along the FDR drive when I was a kid.

The ALF/LTI's were 1984 models. Low profile Centruy Cabs with pumps. I know 14 got a lot of mileage on that rig, as did 163, going all over the place. I can also remember Chiefs asking for a 100 foot Tower Ladder for jobs, and us telling them there weren't anymore after 14's ALF was put out to pasture sometime in the mid 90's. I don't remember if 119 had the ALF before it was given to one of the other companies. Side note, 119 has had a history of getting the interesting rigs, from the Mack C/Magirus 144 foot ladder with the elevator on the side, to the Sutphen.

E-329 also had either Vector, or Vision light bars(two pieces maybe three or four light pods on each. Kinda like the Chicago rigs in the 90's) on the cab on the Seagrave they had. I always wondered if it was R n D or just the members decking it out. Same for 290 and 283.

PS the Spartan/.Aerialscope at 53 has a 1970's era boom that saw service at TL-107 back in the day. 53 had a 1999 or 2000 Seagrave that got swapped out with TL-45 and they got the Spartan from 105. The reasoning behind that was 53 is really slow, and since it's not a standard FDNY rig, less of a problem with wear and tear and having to worry about waiting on replacement parts. Whereas 105 is fairly busy.

If you look at a photographic history of FDNY apparatus, you will see they tried a lot of things. Some worked like the Mack CF's, others didn't, like the Mack R's(Which I personally thought looked awesome).

I have a pic of TL-119's Stuphen somewhere in my collection, actually had it for my computer wallpaper for a while. What I remember of it, the front end had the "Royal Lions" on the front of it. I'll see if I can search for it and post it, its not my pic so I'll have to see if I can find out who took it and give them proper credit.