Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Scenario: Vehicle Fire at Gas Pump

10 posts in this topic

Hoping to bring back to life this idea I brought up a few weeks ago, here is another scenario to get your input on.

Date: June 26th

Time: 12:25

Weather: Sunny, 83 degrees, 90% humidity.

Dispatch Info: Your FD is dispatched for a reported car fire at the OP Gas Station. When you arrive in your command vehicle, you find a pickup truck that crashed into the pump, is well involved in fire and spreading to the canopy above the pumps.

Here's the questions for you. Now remember, this is based on what you would do in your own area. (So don't assume an imaginary apparatus is coming!):

What apparatus respond initially?

How much manpower will you get?

How do you position the apparatus?

You're the IC, what is your Incident Action Plan?

What additional resources would you call?

Remember, this is a learning tool, so all ideas and input are welcome!

Photo courtesy of www.leesburgfire.org.

post-34-051806700 1277798676.jpg

Right off the bat, they'd be getting an engine and truck. This is a debate amongst me and my fellow dispatchers, should it get the 5-7 or a structural response. Now, if I were the boss of the Engine Company, I'd ask for the box to be transmitted, which would give me 3 Engines, 2 Trucks, and a Battalion(22 firefighters, 5 officers, and a chief). I'd probably also ask for at least one Foam Carrier with its associated Engine. Positioning of the rigs would be on the exposure 4 side of the structure.

Stretch a foam line, ensure the pumps are off and try to see what can get knocked down, if at all, with the built in extinguishing system before putting the line into operation. Maybe do another quick walkaround to look for victims. Definitely request EMS for potential victims. Not sure about special calling Haz Mat until I see how much product has been spilled.

efdcapt115 likes this

I'd be hitting the overhead extinguisher system might quick, then running like hell. :)

Initial response is 2 engines (each with 3 FFs, 1 officer and a driver), assorted Chiefs and the TL (with a crew of 5). At least one ambulance would be dispatched as well. Both engines are equipped with foam. Immediately call mutual aid for additional foam units.

All apparatus position uphill from fire - a significant distance away. First due engine crew is assigned to search/rescue. They activate the overhead dry-chem system if it hasn't already been activated, performs search/rescue and ensure the pumps are shut off. Their secondary assignment is to stretch a line to protect the closest exposure.

Second due engine attacks the seat of the fire with foam (master stream - portable deck gun or 2.5"). This assumes the two engines arrive within a minute or two of each other and that there is at least one significant exposure. If not, the first due would put foam on the pumps.

First due engine (or mutual aid engine) supplies the tower ladder which hits the canopy from above (from uphill, in a well coordinated attack that ensures the foam being put on the pump isn't washed away).

Depending on how the caller paints the picture..more than likely its going to get 2 engines, ladder and rescue truck. Brining a guaranteed 4 firefighters...any additional numbers..your guess is as good as mine. First due takes a hydrant and as already pointed out first line, which I'd pull a 2 1/2" line will begin controlling any exposure issues including the canopy, once some of that dust from the suppression system subsides as the 2nd line being stretched with foam capability, better to be safe then sorry then you'll know what your dealing with. If the canopy is put out and in the photo you show there doesn't seem to be a large volume of fire presently I'd have the 2 1/2" start hitting the vehicle with a nice medium fog. It will either put the fire out...or cool the area around the pump(s) without spreading the spilled fueled around burning or not. Another thing is you have to account for how much foam you carry on the apparatus. I have 2 buckets on my engine..which is absolutely nothing...and I believe I'm the only one with some foam on it. If anything if I was in command I'd call through 60 to dispatch me the next engine with a on board foam system with a 100 gallon tank to make sure. Otherwise its contact all the appropriate agencies needed...Dept. of Health, spill number, DEC...etc.

The key tactic here is to stop the flow of fuel (If there is one) by activating the Emergency Pump Shutoff and Canopy System. The person who does this has to be protected by a hoseline.

After that, it becomes a Class B spill with fire. The fire cannot extend to the underground tanks because the vapors are too rich to burn. Fire will only show at the surface of any broken piping. Extinguish the spill fire with foam as the preferred agent. Dry powder or fog lines are lesser choices. Make sure you have enough foam to complete the job before starting your foam operation. Attack car or structure fire with normal attack for those items.

Manpower/Apparatus required:

Using the photo given in this thread, it is not "The BIG ONE." Send a full structural response, but in actuality, the main body of this fire should be knocked down by a first due engine with 4 men or however your FD gets the equivalent. The rest is overhaul.

Edited by wraftery

I wouldn't get gas there anymore.

But seriously folks, daytime fire, heavy smoke, probably multiple calls. In an urban setting (such as NYC), despite it technically being non-structrual, if multiple calls for fire outside a gas station were received, wouldn't 3X2+BC be assigned?

As for fireground operations, since there are visible flames on the canopy, stay the hell away. Those things can collapse in an instant. Do a quick check for victims.

Any other thoughts?

Break Out The TIC, Ask for an extra Engine and Tanker along with the Main Structure Response (2 Engines, 2, tankers and Call for the Ladder in the District to the east) This call would probably ask for a Regional Page, so Being the DC that day I would have about four County Districts Responding with apparatus as well as in POVs. Depending on whether the closest paid city station is available the dispatchers would send them which happens to be a Quint. I could also ask for a few buckets of class B from DOT.

My input.

Where are the emergency shut offs for the pumps? I would assume that there is more than 1 and the should be located away from the actual pumps

Where are the emergency shut offs for the pumps? I would assume that there is more than 1 and the should be located away from the actual pumps

Up here in MA, the 2 gas stations in the next town over have gas shutoff's in the lobby (it is a travel center). Also, right next to the shutoff, are "fire alarms" (your normal looking alarm levers found in any buildings) that activate the Foam system.

We don't have a gas station like this in my town, however if we did, and I was first on scene (not an officer) I would say=

Tone out for a MV fire, with exposures. First truck out of the barn would probably be our Tanker (foam capabilities with handlines and 2500 gallons of water). I would AUTO start mutual aid with an engine and a stick.

Also roll EMS for any victims/potential victims.

As I said, I am not an officer, and I could be wrong here.