Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
post4031

Stamford Engine #6

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am interested in learning what Stamford Fire & Rescue Firefighters like or dislike about Engine #6 2007 HME Quint. Has there been any major issues? Any pros or cons about the engine? How has the manufacturer been to do business with? How is their service and have they dealt with warranty issues promptly?

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Hello,

I am interested in learning what Stamford Fire & Rescue Firefighters like or dislike about Engine #6 2007 HME Quint. Has there been any major issues? Any pros or cons about the engine? How has the manufacturer been to do business with? How is their service and have they dealt with warranty issues promptly?

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

SFRD Engine 5 out of Fire Station # 5 with Rescue 1 is also a quint. Everyone that I knows seems to like the rigs with no major issues that I can think of. The cabs are pretty roomy and HME makes a pretty good quint, for HME's standards that is.

HME Have Mechnic Enroute.

HME Heavy Maintained Equiptment.

What are you guys looking to buy? I am not on Stamford, but I have heard HME's stuff is....well. What are you looking for?

What are you guys looking to buy? I am not on Stamford, but I have heard HME's stuff is....well. What are you looking for?

I am comparing manufacturers of Quints and gathering information for future purchase. Our requirements are a 75' ladder, 500 gallon tank, 1500gpm preferably on a short wheelbase. It seems HME and Seagrave have the shortest 192", I even saw a spec on one with 186" wheelbase. Most of our department has Spartan chassis and we do like them. I am just looking into other options as well.

Take a look at the Pierce 75' aluminum quint. Very nice piece. E-One has a 75' aluminum rearmount but with the current financial problems down there that might be a cause of concern. Sutphen builds great aerials, the only downside is their 75s dont have a turntable and it makes it hard to work off the right side of the truck. That may have changed now, but the last classes I taught with Sutphen 75 footers that is what it had. Thompsonville, CT has a pretty much brand new Sutphen 75, check with them. Seagrave's meanstick quint is a really nice option also. Enfield CT has a meanstick, Hebron CT has a nearly brand new E-One on a Quest chassis.

The Pierce has a 750 tip load on theirs, not sure on the others, I think they mostly top out at 500 pounds. Are you looking for a single source manufacturer? If you are, that is going to limit your options significantly, but it is the best way to go. Especially with an aerial. One thing, more so with an aerial than any other kind of apparatus, do NOT limit yourself to low bid. Not worth it in the long run.

Low Bidder !

And we have seen junk from low, medium & the high bidder. We have also seen high quality from all 3.

E-One has a 75' aluminum rearmount but with the current financial problems down there that might be a cause of concern.

If you go by that, i can think of a number of other manufactures that there financials are also of concern.

Are you looking for a single source manufacturer? If you are, that is going to limit your options significantly, but it is the best way to go. Especially with an aerial.

Can you explain why you believe a single source is the best way to go?

We have a Smeal quint in our dept on a Spartan, and the wheel base for ours is 204''. I love the truck and one thing nice about Smeal is that they build their own ladders and only do steel ladders.

If you go by that, i can think of a number of other manufactures that there financials are also of concern.

Can you explain why you believe a single source is the best way to go?

You are correct there on financials. American LaFrance is another that comes to mind. My experience, for what it's worth, is that single source is easier to deal with when the inevitable maintenance problems crop up you dont have a chassis manufacturer and a body manufacturer pointing fingers at each other. Especially so with an aerial. I'm not saying just buy pierce or seagrave, etc. Smeal builds great aerials for example.

I just prefer single source for that reason. But hey, I'm not a Chief, so I don't make any final decisions. With the volunteer depts I came up through and my career department, we have had less problems with the apparatus that were from single source manufacturers. Feel free to correct any misconceptions. If it helps Scott out, I am all for it.

You are correct there on financials. American LaFrance is another that comes to mind.

Seagrave is also considered to be questionable along with Oshkosh (which owns Pierce). So that makes 4 of the 8 arial manufacturers.

My experience, for what it's worth, is that single source is easier to deal with when the inevitable maintenance problems crop up you dont have a chassis manufacturer and a body manufacturer pointing fingers at each other.....I just prefer single source for that reason......we have had less problems with the apparatus that were from single source manufacturers. Feel free to correct any misconceptions.

We have had a rather diverse fleet (pierce, seagrave, ALF, RD Murry, LTI, Stuphen) and we have had almost the exact same level of problems with "sole source" as the seperate chassie/body. What has always made them equal is that our contract always includes that the apparatus manufacturer is 100% responsible for everything, since we are buying from them and not the chassie manufacturer. This has held up in court on the one case it needed to go there.

The use of the term "sole source" is not very accurate. it is used by those depts that want to narrow down the bidders to the company they want (often without regard for what is being proposed). When you consider that "sole source" chassies use the same engines, transmittions, fans, radiators, alternators, batteries, hoses, multiplex (except Pierce), tires, wheels, suspensions, break systems, seats, Climate controls, etc. Is it really sole source?

Seagrave is also considered to be questionable along with Oshkosh (which owns Pierce). So that makes 4 of the 8 arial manufacturers.

We have had a rather diverse fleet (pierce, seagrave, ALF, RD Murry, LTI, Stuphen) and we have had almost the exact same level of problems with "sole source" as the seperate chassie/body. What has always made them equal is that our contract always includes that the apparatus manufacturer is 100% responsible for everything, since we are buying from them and not the chassie manufacturer. This has held up in court on the one case it needed to go there.

The use of the term "sole source" is not very accurate. it is used by those depts that want to narrow down the bidders to the company they want (often without regard for what is being proposed). When you consider that "sole source" chassies use the same engines, transmittions, fans, radiators, alternators, batteries, hoses, multiplex (except Pierce), tires, wheels, suspensions, break systems, seats, Climate controls, etc. Is it really sole source?

I see, all valid points. Hopefully it gives him some interesting points to work with.