Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest nyctek10

Why isn't everyone on the trunk?

14 posts in this topic

I'm just curious why all Towns Villages and Cities aren't on the Westchester County Motorola Trunked system? I don't mean local police, but why wouldn't all FD be on there? As an example, I know Mamaroneck Town uses it, but Mamaroneck Village does not. Thoughts?

I'm just curious why all Towns Villages and Cities aren't on the Westchester County Motorola Trunked system? I don't mean local police, but why wouldn't all FD be on there? As an example, I know Mamaroneck Town uses it, but Mamaroneck Village does not. Thoughts?

This would be a good question for someone like Remember585. I was under the impression that ALL westchester agencies were using the trunk system. If however there are agencies that are not trunk capable i would imagine it was the decision of the agency not to install the radios (not sure why they wouldn't, it makes life easier on large scenes). Just my thought on it.

I was under the impression that ALL westchester agencies were using the trunk system. If however there are agencies that are not trunk capable i would imagine it was the decision of the agency not to install the radios (not sure why they wouldn't, it makes life easier on large scenes).

All "front line" apparatus and Chief's vehicles have Trunked Radios installed by Westchester County as part of the build out of the System, so all Westchester County FD's have access to the Trunked System.

I was told by one Fire Chief that his FD would not be on the System because they have an FCC license to operate on 46.26MHz and the County can't tell them what they can or can't do on this frequency. :wacko:

My understanding was that Westchester’s Trunk system is for coordinating Mutual Aide response to a specific incident. I don’t know why or how it changed from its plan that was discussed at the meetings prior to the start of the system “not for daily use.”

I think every FD has the FCC license to operate on their designated frequencies. The trunk is just another frequency that they can use. If that chief listens to it for a day or two, it is clear what it is used for:

Not to replace the fireground freqs, but rather replace the 46/39 MHz freqs on the response side... not the dispatch side. Also use the trunk for anything that 60 control "should" hear.

Seems pretty simple... a chief should be able to figure that out!!!

My understanding was that Westchester’s Trunk system is for coordinating Mutual Aide response to a specific incident. I don’t know why or how it changed from its plan that was discussed at the meetings prior to the start of the system “not for daily use.”

I didn't see this post before I posted my last. This actually makes sense, even though I wish it was for daily use and everyone used it. Thanks for clearing it up... sounds like the departments that I'm complaining about are actually the ones following instructions!!!

Thanks again.

Here's a scenario: 1. My Department allows Personal Vehicles to the scene. 2. I'm a driver of an (XX) engine company. Here goes...Dispatch comes across my pager 46.26, I respond to firehouse as a driver. The engine is responding before I make it to the station. If they respond on 46.26 I can redirect and go to the scene. But if they go right to Trunk system to respond where am I going now (still to the station), perhaps I could have been 1 of the first at the scene if redirected, once the engine responded.

Don't get me wrong the Trunking system works well for some departments especially that only have 1 Station where everyone must go to the firehouse to respond.

Here's a scenario: 1. My Department allows Personal Vehicles to the scene. 2. I'm a driver of an (XX) engine company. Here goes...Dispatch comes across my pager 46.26, I respond to firehouse as a driver. The engine is responding before I make it to the station. If they respond on 46.26 I can redirect and go to the scene. But if they go right to Trunk system to respond where am I going now (still to the station), perhaps I could have been 1 of the first at the scene if redirected, once the engine responded.

Don't get me wrong the Trunking system works well for some departments especially that only have 1 Station where everyone must go to the firehouse to respond.

There are several cross band repeaters (Armonk Fire 16/46.20MHz, Katonah Fire 16/46.22MHz) that link their respective Trunked System Talk Group to a low band frequency that would be channel two on the members pager.

Edited by SteveOFD

Our department (not dispatched by 60-Control) uses the Trunk radio for mutual aid, dual responses with other departments and other responses where contact with 60-Control is necessary.

Otherwise we use our VHF Village frequency (paging and operations), which has served us well for years.

We also use County UHF fireground portables when operating with other departments or in buildings where VHF isn't effective.

On mutual aid, our officers carry both VHF and UHF portables, which gives us a "private VHF channel" to communicate with each other, while not interfering with other fireground traffic. The best of both worlds.

Mix the Dutchess county system with a trunk system and you have my image of nirvana. Westchester county is such a hodge podge of frequencies, operating procedures, agencies,m etc it will never operate properly/efficiently.

Is there such a thing as a trunking pager?

Edited by WAS967

Is there such a thing as a trunking pager?

No, there is not.

In Nassau County we hear the group 16 Departments load and clear on our 46.20 freq.

The trunking system would work for all departments of any stations if you make the system work for you. I love how it always seems like Westchester is an island and how this doesn't work or that won't work when there are plenty of systems similar or ever above what the county is like now (rolleyes) that could be used as a model to get what would work. Simple echoing of information on the pager frequencies would work fine, or have the apparatus mark out on the trunk if they want to use it then hop over and announce the same on pager frequency.

Also the trunk system the way its set up has great operational flexibility as needed. Not all the channels are able to be heard by 60 control. What is important to remember is to get your fireground operations off the main channel, that should be for the IC, so the trunk works great for that and you want simplex line of sight for effective communications. It also stops control from possibly missing a vital piece of information from the IC as they cannot monitor effectively if you have fireground traffic on the frequency along with apparatus, IC and whomever else as they still have other departments they need to do their job for.

Bottom line is the old low band system was horrible, particularly with the mind set of some departments as mentioned. For the safety reasons above. Enough with why this doesn't work and that doesn't work. Give some solutions of who it would work and get them in action and I'm betting things aren't/won't be as bad.

There are several cross band repeaters (Armonk Fire 16/46.20MHz, Katonah Fire 16/46.22MHz) that link their respective Trunked System Talk Group to a low band frequency that would be channel two on the members pager.

I did a little research tonight, and found this EMTBravo thread that states that Sleepy Hollow FD has a link for Fire 12, and South Salem FD has a link to Fire 13.

My research shows that this is the current info for Trunked System cross band links:

Armonk FD 46.20MHz/Fire 16

Katonah FD 46.22MHz/Fire 16

Sleepy Hollow FD 155.775MHz/Fire 12

South Salem FD 45.72MHz/Fire 13

Edited by SteveOFD