Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

EMS Gear

13 posts in this topic

What is the standard(if any) for gear or other protective clothing for EMS? Does OSHA/PESH have requirements? Is there an NFPA standard? Thanks.

What is the standard(if any) for gear or other protective clothing for EMS? Does OSHA/PESH have requirements? Is there an NFPA standard? Thanks.

What do you mean? As In Bunker Gear? Or as in Uniforms?

NFPA 1999,Standard on Protective Clothing for Emergency Medical Operations. Curently on the 2008 Edition.

About 10-15 years ago, Fed OSHA gave citations to both Abbey & Empress for failing to protect their employees by providing PPE as required by the general duty clause, CFR 1910.132 - 1910.138

In General:

1910.132(d)(1) - The employer shall assess the workplace to determine if hazards are present, or are likely to be present, which necessitate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE). If such hazards are present, or likely to be present, the employer shall:

1910.132(d)(1)(i) - Select, and have each affected employee use, the types of PPE that will protect the affected employee from the hazards identified in the hazard assessment;

1910.132(d)(1)(ii) - Communicate selection decisions to each affected employee; and,

1910.132(d)(1)(iii) - Select PPE that properly fits each affected employee.

The NFPA standard mentioned by others covers what gear needs to be to meet the OSHA regulations.

About 10-15 years ago, Fed OSHA gave citations to both Abbey & Empress for failing to protect their employees by providing PPE as required by the general duty clause, CFR 1910.132 - 1910.138

In General:

1910.132(d)(1) - The employer shall assess the workplace to determine if hazards are present, or are likely to be present, which necessitate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE). If such hazards are present, or likely to be present, the employer shall:

1910.132(d)(1)(i) - Select, and have each affected employee use, the types of PPE that will protect the affected employee from the hazards identified in the hazard assessment;

1910.132(d)(1)(ii) - Communicate selection decisions to each affected employee; and,

1910.132(d)(1)(iii) - Select PPE that properly fits each affected employee.

The NFPA standard mentioned by others covers what gear needs to be to meet the OSHA regulations.

This is where EMS fits under the general duty clause unless your agency is a municipal , I am my agencies Safety Officer and we have began fitting our members with bunker style gear, it is not fire fighting gear but it is flash protective ,BBP protective and gives protection on pin jobs , the Personal protective ensemble consists of helmet,coat ,pants and extrication gloves . We are hoping to fit all our members in the near future but is is expensive as each member must be measured for their own set

I received a set of USAR gear (Morning Pride) as part of a state-wide EMS Special Operations Group here in NJ. Basically the same specs as FDNY EMS, although in a different color. That gear was extended to regular field providers as part of our UASI funding. IIRC all the voluntary hospitals that particpate in the NYCEMS system are required to provide their members with FDNY spec'ed gear. I like the idea that agencies that want to play must provide safety gear, the stick and carrot approach. My gear cost $1,400 minue the boots, helmet, and APR. Unfortunetly I don't see alot of EMS only agencies laying out that type of money.

The photo is an example of what is provided. (BTW that is not me in the photo)

post-3609-060367900 1282662524.jpg

Edited by NJMedic

I received a set of USAR gear (Morning Pride) as part of a state-wide EMS Special Operations Group here in NJ. Basically the same specs as FDNY EMS, although in a different color. That gear was extended to regular field providers as part of our UASI funding. IIRC all the voluntary hospitals that particpate in the NYCEMS system are required to provide their members with FDNY spec'ed gear. I like the idea that agencies that want to play must provide safety gear, the stick and carrot approach. My gear cost $1,400 minue the boots, helmet, and APR. Unfortunetly I don't see alot of EMS only agencies laying out that type of money.

The photo is an example of what is provided. (BTW that is not me in the photo)

NJ medic ,

We also have morning pride gear but in a dark blue it has been a little rough transition but my guys are adjusting I am curious you said something about USAI funding could you elaborate ,I am trying to get more gear and it runs 1400 per man so any help I can get would be appreciated ..than

NJ medic ,

We also have morning pride gear but in a dark blue it has been a little rough transition but my guys are adjusting I am curious you said something about USAI funding could you elaborate ,I am trying to get more gear and it runs 1400 per man so any help I can get would be appreciated ..than

Its Pretty Easy to find used bunker gear, I'm sure you could find some cheap EMS Gear. The EMS Jacket and Helmet we Keep on our Med unit was donated from a former east coast dept. that was disbanded.

As you can tell from the posts above Morning Pride makes EMS 1999 gear. I believe they also make 1999 dual cert with the NFPA 1951 which is USAR use. Parts of the 1951 also cover extrication. Lion Apparel also makes some really nice 1999/1951 gear called TR51. I know Globe makes it also but have no experience with it. Ricochet also makes a wide array of 1999 & 1951 gear. You see most of the private agencies in the city wearing it. They usually have R/O triple trim on theirs to stand out. Ricochet also makes a 1999 & ANSI class III coat / pant set. If you are on a true budget they make an extrication set which is basically the 1999/1951 without the moisture barrier and no cert. You could even do a 1999 but with a Nomex shell. I've dealt with Lion and Ricochet on their stuff and have nothing but good to say.

There are a ton of options out there but it will take some research & time. Good luck.

There have got to be better options than the gear FDNY EMS uses. Urban search and rescue teams do just fine operating in the worst conditions imaginable with much less restrictive and less cumbersome equipment. If you've ever treated a serious patient wearing that gear or seen FDNY EMS members start treating a patient, the first thing they do is start stripping the stuff off. At a minimum my helmet and jacket are gone and if I have a moment, the APR goes too. The pants would go, but there just isn't a fast enough way to do it. So now in the back of the bus where our bags plus two medics fills up much of the usable space we're adding a pile of clothing.

When I respond on any med call or public assist i put on bunker pants, you never know what you'll be kneeling in and my 5.11 duty pants are way to hard to wash. I never wear the bunker top unless its cold out or I am going to be in a hazardous situation, the morning pride gear on our med unit is fantastic, but we really only use it when were at a pin job or at a structure fire.

I've and my colleagues have done just fine wearing shorts during summer/warmer months for years with zero..that's right zero exposures during that time. We carry both BBP isolation kits and tyvek suits that can be put on quickly if you don't have your bunkers with you if the call warrants the need. Not knocking the light turnout gear type...but I can't stand trying to treat someone in my full PPE or even a jacket in the winter. This isn't rocket science and even trauma ED staff don't wear the level of some of the stuff I'm seeing in the field. If there is honestly that much blood..my experience is they are D.R.T. and non salvagable. If its arterial...treat it like a hazmat..upstream,upwind, uphill.

I've and my colleagues have done just fine wearing shorts during summer/warmer months for years with zero..that's right zero exposures during that time.

Amen