Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

NYPD Helicopter Makes Emergency Landing in Jamaica Bay

19 posts in this topic

NEW YORK (WABC) -- An NYPD helicopter made an emergency landing in Jamaica Bay about 50 feet off shore.

It happened just before 4:00 Wednesday afternoon. Flotation devices were deployed before it landed in the bay, keeping it afloat until help could arrive. The chopper was carrying a three-man flight crew and two scuba divers who were on a routine security patrol. All are being treated at Lutheran Medical Center, but no serious injuries were reported. No word why the helicopter made the emergency landing. The helicopter is a Bell 412 Air Sea Rescue Helicopter. The NYPD purchased two of them from Bell Helicopter out of Texas in 2009.

(Copyright ©2010 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Full Article

Does anbody have any more info or photos to share?

Edited by firedude

Another Article...

An NYPD helicopter made an emergency landing in Jamaica Bay this afternoon

Fire officials said everyone on board was accounted for and there were no serious injuries.

One official described it as a "soft landing" amid problems.

Officials say crew was coming into NYPD Aviation's base at Floyd Bennett Field for a landing when mechanical problem developed, but they had time to deploy flotation devices. A pilot, copilot, crew chief and two scuba divers were on board, officials said. They were being taken to Lutheran Hospital with minor injuries, officials said.

The helicopter was near Floyd Bennett Field's NYPD Aviation base when it made the water landing near the base's pad, witnesses said. Emergency floatation devices were seen activated.

Check back for updates on this developing story

Full Article

Channel 4's and the Daily News web sites have photos. Look like it was a very hard landing, one of the main rotor blades was snapped in half, front windshields cracked, looks like the roof was buckled. NY Post reports that it ran out of fuel. I tend to doubt that story, I hope aviation was a little slicker then that. Won't be back in the air anytime soon.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/NYPD-Helicopter-Crashes-into-Jamaica-Bay-103559974.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/22/2010-09-22_nypd_helicopter_makes_hard_emergency_landing_in_brooklyn_cause_unclear.html#ixzz10IZcXl8Z

Its possible that it ran out of fuel. With the UN in town resources are stretched thin, and may have stayed out a little too long.

Interesting insertion technique. Gives a new meaning to "Splash" the divers. Glad everyone was not hurt and came home safe.Kudos to the pilot. Chris I'm sure you can appreciate that. :ph34r:

Edited by Firediver

Interesting to think that it ran out of fuel. Was the helicopter leaving the base to patrol or returning to the base from patrolling? I hope the crew recover quickly. Thankfully all injuries were minor.

Channel 4's and the Daily News web sites have photos. Look like it was a very hard landing, one of the main rotor blades was snapped in half, front windshields cracked, looks like the roof was buckled. NY Post reports that it ran out of fuel. I tend to doubt that story, I hope aviation was a little slicker then that. Won't be back in the air anytime soon.

http://www.nbcnewyor...-103559974.html

http://www.nydailyne...l#ixzz10IZcXl8Z

The NY Post article says they were returning to Aviation to refuel. I didn't see anything that said they ran out of fuel. If that is the case, it is a very bad day for that pilot's career.

According to one article, the pilot states there was a loud "bang" and the helicopter descended rapidly. That doesn't sound like fuel starvation so we'll have to wait and see what the investigation reveals.

The NY Post article says they were returning to Aviation to refuel. I didn't see anything that said they ran out of fuel. If that is the case, it is a very bad day for that pilot's career.

According to one article, the pilot states there was a loud "bang" and the helicopter descended rapidly. That doesn't sound like fuel starvation so we'll have to wait and see what the investigation reveals.

The Post article originally stated that the helo ran out of fuel. They've since edited it to say otherwise; every other media outlet was reporting it as mechanical failure.

Is it known if they came down under power? As was stated before, with one main rotor blade snapped, it would appear to be a hard landing. I've seen videos of helicopters practicing and landing via autorotation on land, but never on water.

For those not familiar with the term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2a9H8Xw8Mo

Maybe Chris192 has a better or easier to understand description of this, or better link(s).

The Post article originally stated that the helo ran out of fuel. They've since edited it to say otherwise; every other media outlet was reporting it as mechanical failure.

Moral of the story: Don't read the Post!;)!!!!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the front of the fuselage took a hit. Is it possible that there was a birdstrike?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the front of the fuselage took a hit. Is it possible that there was a birdstrike?

I believe the front end of the helicopter was bent upon impact with the water as per local media.

There was no bird strike. That is damage from the landing.

I'm told that they're investigating engine problems as the potential cause but we probably wont know specifics for some time.

Chris192 How many Birds these days have the floatation devices on the Skids??? I know that State Birds have them but, who else has them?

Edited by x1243

Chris192 How many Birds these days have the floatation devices on the Skids??? I know that State Birds have them but, who else has them?

Many do - Nassau, NYC, US Park Police for example. I think Suffolk has them on some of their ships but I'm not 100% sure.

LAPD, San Diego PD, Newark (NJ) PD, Philadelphia PD, Texas DPS, CHP, and Westchester to name a few do not.

Depends on the operator and the aircraft.

Is that inflatable skirt a standard safety option on Bell helicopters or is it a universal safety option available to anyone who wants to include it?

I know that UH-1's are prone to capsizing and that the flotation on the skids are an option. I'll try and get in touch with my cousin to find out more, unless someone on here has the answer. Chris? :ph34r:

Is that inflatable skirt a standard safety option on Bell helicopters or is it a universal safety option available to anyone who wants to include it?

It's not standard but can be added to any helicopter. The skirts are made by many different companies and can be retrofitted for older choppers.

I think it is a safe assumption also, to figure that any unit that will most/more than likely have operations over any large body of water will have these. The chances of finding a unit landlocked, versus one that covers large bays, or open waters, is probably relative?

I am glad to hear that everyone is alright, and that this safety feature was deployed, and operated as designed!!