Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

WC 10-codes from the late 1970's

20 posts in this topic

Wallet sized reference card for the radio 10-codes used in Westchester County NY in the late 1970's.

Special Thanks to JP for this contribution to Protection from the Past

post-23-028974800 1287357905.jpg

post-23-054238300 1287357922.jpg

efdcapt115 likes this

I remember that card. My Dad had one on the sunvisor of his car.

I had one in my Helmet, a lot of 10-21, 10-22 and 10-23s in those days!

I had one in my Helmet, a lot of 10-21, 10-22 and 10-23s in those days!

10-10 in effect, All departments 10-10

60-Control to dispatchers 602, 608 and 614 10-15 K .......

60-Control to dispatchers 602, 608 and 614 10-15 K .......

In those days, it was always 508 and 529 ! LOL

In those days, it was always 508 and 529 ! LOL

Don't forget 545 and 539

10-4, 10-8, 10-20, 10-30.....the only ones I ever used. Everything else was spoken English.

You beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to say. I always liked the guys who said it by 10 Code and then in Englsh as in "Car 3202 10-2, returning to quarters."

You beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to say. I always liked the guys who said it by 10 Code and then in Englsh as in "Car 3202 10-2, returning to quarters."

That's a good one Chief. I always get a kick out of "at this time." As in "what time would you rather use, Greenwich Mean Time."? LOL

That's a good one Chief. I always get a kick out of "at this time." As in "what time would you rather use, Greenwich Mean Time."? LOL

How 'bout "Return to quarters when ready" Does the guy think his company is going to leave 800' of LDH in the street because he said to return to quarters?

efdcapt115 likes this

How 'bout "Return to quarters when ready" Does the guy think his company is going to leave 800' of LDH in the street because he said to return to quarters?

Chief, you have to ask lol? Im sure theres been plenty of "but the dispatched said return to quarters" over the years <_< !

Wow, i love to see all this nastalgia! Thank you Tim for keeping Protection from the Past current!

Im sure glad we're using plain English these days (for the most part). I have enough to remember/think about on a regular basis. Trying to remember these codes would drive me nuts lol.

Id love to hear somebody use one of these 10-Codes one day and hear 60's reaction lol.

Thanks again for sharing.

Chief, you have to ask lol? Im sure theres been plenty of "but the dispatched said return to quarters" over the years <_< !

Wow, i love to see all this nastalgia! Thank you Tim for keeping Protection from the Past current!

Im sure glad we're using plain English these days (for the most part). I have enough to remember/think about on a regular basis. Trying to remember these codes would drive me nuts lol.

Id love to hear somebody use one of these 10-Codes one day and hear 60's reaction lol.

Thanks again for sharing.

When some of the old timers use ten codes, for the most part 60 Control will just repeat what they say in plain english...

The time is 2030 hrs. This KED281. The radio station of the Westchester Fire Control Center. Operating on the assigned frequencies of 46.26, 46.14, 33.96 and 45.88 MHz. KED 281 standing by. Dispatcher 545.

The time is 2030 hrs. This KED281. The radio station of the Westchester Fire Control Center. Operating on the assigned frequencies of 46.26, 46.14, 33.96 and 45.88 MHz. KED 281 standing by. Dispatcher 545.

I remember that.

When some of the old timers use ten codes, for the most part 60 Control will just repeat what they say in plain english...

Since we still use them, its not just old timers and sometimes when 60 repeats it in english they get it correct other times they do not. 10-20 is not respond with caution.

10-20 is not respond with caution.

I always thought that, "10-20 respond with caution" should not ever be in a 10 code list or ever said over the radio. Don't ALL apparatus ALWAYS respond with caution to ALL calls. By saying '10-20' or 'proceed with caution' makes it sound like apparatus are not using due caution in their response.

When I was driving the apparatus I always responded with due caution. When the 1st arriving unit arrives and down grades the response a better term to use is 'respond with traffic'. This tells me to stop an emergency response and go with the flow.

I always thought that, "10-20 respond with caution" should not ever be in a 10 code list or ever said over the radio. Don't ALL apparatus ALWAYS respond with caution to ALL calls. By saying '10-20' or 'proceed with caution' makes it sound like apparatus are not using due caution in their response.

When I was driving the apparatus I always responded with due caution. When the 1st arriving unit arrives and down grades the response a better term to use is 'respond with traffic'. This tells me to stop an emergency response and go with the flow.

"Respond with traffic", what does that mean? Invite the civilian vehicles on the roadway to follow you to the alarm? :blink: Do you do that with hand signals (waving motion, this way fellas...)

"Respond with traffic", what does that mean? Invite the civilian vehicles on the roadway to follow you to the alarm? :blink: Do you do that with hand signals (waving motion, this way fellas...)

As Confucius once said: 'It is better to respond with traffic then to respond against traffic".

Very well said LTNRFD!

This was a big argument made by one of my evoc instructors (alsfirefighter). His argument was exactly what you are saying. Nobody should ever have to tell a driver to "proceed with caution.". If you're not already responding with caution, there's a big problem.

Personally, I prefer "respond non-emergency.". But then again, some guys don't get that either. I hate when an order of "respond non-emergency" is given & rigs are still coming in w/emergency lights on.

Anywho, sorry to hijack the original thread lol.