Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x1243

Shooting in Thornwood

81 posts in this topic

http://www.lohud.com/article/201010180328

A Pace University football player was shot dead by police early Sunday during a brawl outside a bar on homecoming weekend.

According to Mt. Pleasant police, one officer struck by the vehicle landed on the car hood. As shots fired at the driver and passenger, another officer attempting to retrieve the first officer was also hit. The car stopped as it smashed into a Mt. Pleasant police car.

Thoughts and Prayers for all involved.....

Edited by x1243

Sounds like a good shoot by the officer involved. Glad the Officers will all be okay.

To bad the cops are gonna be hung over this one also. Good job to all the cops involved. The liberal's are out in full force on the lohud comment section on this and its only a matter of time before rev. Al gets his dirty hands on this

chris likes this

It is hard to imagine how people support the person who tried to use a vehicle as a deadly weapon and hit police officers and a cop car and manage to put blame on the police officers who did the right thing. It is always a tough situation when color is involved but in the end, if an Officer feels their life or a partner's life is threatened, then deadly force must be taken to stop the threat.

Good job to all the police departments involved and to the EMS agency involved with this difficult incident. God bless you all and all the work you do to keep our streets safe.

To the fallen man, may you rest in peace. It is a shame that the event escalated to the point it did and ended with the unfortunate outcome that it did, but all actions have consequences.

To the injured police officers (two of whom I know quite well), stay strong and my thoughts and prayers are with you, your families, and your fellow Officers. When duty calls, I know you will once again answer the call in a professional and courageous manner.

Edited by PFDRes47cue
chris likes this

It is hard to imagine how people support the person who tried to use a vehicle as a deadly weapon and hit police officers and a cop car and manage to put blame on the police officers who did the right thing. It is always a tough situation when color is involved but in the end, if an Officer feels their life or a partner's life is threatened, then deadly force must be taken to stop the threat.

To the fallen man, may you rest in peace. It is a shame that the event escalated to the point it did and ended with the unfortunate outcome that it did, but all actions have consequences.

To the injured police officers (two of whom I know quite well), stay strong and my thoughts and prayers are with you, your families, and your fellow Officers. When duty calls, I know you will once again answer the call in a professional and courageous manner.

Well said Lt.!

http://www.lohud.com/article/201010180328

A Pace University football player

I don't care if you're the President of a University, a football player, a nuclear physicist, or a nun; you use your vehicle as a weapon and try to run down a police officer, a firefighters, or an emt, you should be stopped by any means necessary, including deadly force before you kill somebody. Too bad this football player didn't understand that driving with a cop on the hood of your car is reason enough to be stopped with deadly force.

chris likes this

Good job to all the police departments involved and to the EMS agency involved with this difficult incident. God bless you all and all the work you do to keep our streets safe.

It makes me sick to my stomach to know that Pace University held a campus sponsored vigil for the perp. I can understand holding a moment of silence for a fallen student, or a candle light vigil for someone who pereished in a tragedy, but to hold an entire ceremony for someone who was in the process of committing multiple felonies makes me wonder how a$$ backwards this Country is becoming. While we're at it, lets hold a vigil for Diane Schuler as well.

JM15 likes this

This incident seems to have the same problems and circumstances as the Sean Bell shooting several years ago. While the officers in that case were absolved of criminal wrong doing, they certainly lost in the court of public opinion. We can only hope that this not the same and true for the officers involved in this incident. We can only hope that the DA and the public see this for what it is, a individual using a motor vehicle as deadly weapon against officers of the Westchester County law enforcement community who were forced to respond with deadly force once the perpetrator initiated dangerous and deadly activity and endangered the lives of one of their officers.

If this individual had been shot and wounded and arrested and not shot and killed, Pace University would not be holding a vigil. I also found that Pace Universities actions were inappropriate. They essentially said despite this individual attempting murder on law enforcement members, he was a nice guy and deserved to be remembered....well not in my book and not most peoples here, and certainly not the officers who were injured during this incident.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Lohud Article

"

It was so poorly handled, in my opinion," she added. "You're trained to do a certain job and you should know better ... shoot the tires of the car, don't shoot the kid."

To the girl who was quoted saying this in the LoHud article: First of all, it is hard to shoot tires on a car when you have been hit and are holding onto the hood of the car. Second, shooting the cars tires does not stop a car quick enough to ensure the further safety of the hit police officer. Third, the "kid" you speak of attempted to run over and kill police officers. Like everyone knows and especially WELL TRAINED police officers, fight deadly force with deadly force. Lastly, if you ever find yourself being quoted in a newspaper, don't make yourself look like an idiot.

This incident seems to have the same problems and circumstances as the Sean Bell shooting several years ago.

It's because the media needs to sensationalize these events. That how they make the $$$, sell the newspapers, and get people to watch their dumb @ss news broadcasts. They'll get Rev Al and all the rest of them to pipe in on this, but they'll all revision this incident, and conveniently forget the guy had a cop on the hood of his car, and hit a couple of others in his stupid state of mind to flee for some reason. He must have been high or drunk to not comply with the officer's simple request.

It's because the media needs to sensationalize these events. That how they make the $$$, sell the newspapers, and get people to watch their dumb @ss news broadcasts. They'll get Rev Al and all the rest of them to pipe in on this, but they'll all revision this incident, and conveniently forget the guy had a cop on the hood of his car, and hit a couple of others in his stupid state of mind to flee for some reason. He must have been high or drunk to not comply with the officer's simple request.

20 years old and drinking at Finnegans...if that is the case(which it appears it is) then Finnegans is going to be in a bit of a pickle. This is not the first incident that has resulted after a night out at Finnegans...I can think of several arrests of people who had just been at Finnegans in the past year. I'm not putting blame on or bashing Finnegans, after all I enjoy spending time at Finnegans but how many incidents have to happen before there are consequences for the establishment. The same goes for any bar, in any town.

efdcapt115 likes this

20 years old and drinking at Finnegans...if that is the case(which it appears it is) then Finnegans is going to be in a bit of a pickle. This is not the first incident that has resulted after a night out at Finnegans...I can think of several arrests of people who had just been at Finnegans in the past year. I'm not putting blame on or bashing Finnegans, after all I enjoy spending time at Finnegans but how many incidents have to happen before there are consequences for the establishment. The same goes for any bar, in any town.

I was at Finnegan's last weekend and the police came to quell the underage drinking. There must have been 150-200 people in the bar, and when the officers asked everyone under 21 to leave, there must have been 10-15 people left.

This incident seems to have the same problems and circumstances as the Sean Bell shooting several years ago. While the officers in that case were absolved of criminal wrong doing, they certainly lost in the court of public opinion. We can only hope that this not the same and true for the officers involved in this incident. We can only hope that the DA and the public see this for what it is, a individual using a motor vehicle as deadly weapon against officers of the Westchester County law enforcement community who were forced to respond with deadly force once the perpetrator initiated dangerous and deadly activity and endangered the lives of one of their officers.

If this individual had been shot and wounded and arrested and not shot and killed, Pace University would not be holding a vigil. I also found that Pace Universities actions were inappropriate. They essentially said despite this individual attempting murder on law enforcement members, he was a nice guy and deserved to be remembered....well not in my book and not most peoples here, and certainly not the officers who were injured during this incident.

Unfortunately our D.A. loves the chance to go after police officers any chance she gets. Everyone loves to say police officers SHOULD have shot to wound, or in this case shot out the tires. These same people forget that the bad guy is not shooting to wound a police officer or other person. P'ville get ready for the big march by Big Fat Al and his ramble rousers.

To all the police officers involved, keep your heads high and know you did the right thing!!

Edited by TheBuff376

Well according to foxnews.com the kids father is demanding more of an investigation into the incident( understandable ) but all that's doing is paving the way for al's fat as* from Harlem to MT pleasant

Well according to foxnews.com the kids father is demanding more of an investigation into the incident( understandable ) but all that's doing is paving the way for al's fat as* from Harlem to MT pleasant

Someone should investigate where the kid learned that it is best to step on the gas and aim for police officers when your car is approached by one. Is this in the Massachusetts Drivers Ed curriculum? laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong it is a complete shame that a kid was left dead after this incident. But the outcome could have been avoided had the kid not threatened the lives of the Officers.

I was at Finnegan's last weekend and the police came to quell the underage drinking. There must have been 150-200 people in the bar, and when the officers asked everyone under 21 to leave, there must have been 10-15 people left.

Sounds about right...

Edited by PFDRes47cue

Someone should investigate where the MAN learned that it is best to step on the gas and aim for police officers when your car is approached by one. Is this in the Massachusetts Drivers Ed curriculum? laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong it is a complete shame that a MAN was left dead after this incident. But the outcome could have been avoided had the MAN not threatened the lives of the Officers.

Sorry, had to change it around for you... Not that it makes it any different as in the case with the Irvington officer with a kid, but this was a 20 year old. Someone old enough to vote, old enough to live on his own, old enough to join the military, old enough to do basically anything he wanted except drink.

Not blaming you for calling him a kid, but he was an adult, who made an unfortunate adult decision that, like was said before, led to his death. People need to realize that, yes he was in college, but he's an adult, not a high schooler who, in the eyes of the law and our society, commited adult crimes, and paid for it like an adult. There was no duress or any other wrong doing to cause this individual to put his car in drive, and attempt to flee the scene while striking the officers in the process other then his own will.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

i don't always agree with police police shootings, but this is one that i cannot see anything the officers did wrong, granted what i have read so far is truth. if you look at the pics of the kids car from lohud, you can see that his axle is broken, obviously it takes a hell of a lot of force to break an axle. I know the officer that was on the hood - he's a great guy and a great officer, my prayers go out to him, as well as the family of the kid. This incident not only effected them, but the bystanders at the bar, i hope those kids are ok as well. I was not at the bar that night, although it is (was) a regular stomping ground for me. I just hope the cops don't get hung for protecting themselves, their fellow officers AND the hundreds of innocent patrons of the bar standing outside

God Bless the members of PPD, MPPD, PVAC and HFD EMS for their efforts that night

When a cop says "STOP OR Freeze" You do!!! I would. Case closed.

Sorry, had to change it around for you... Not that it makes it any different as in the case with the Irvington officer with a kid, but this was a 20 year old. Someone old enough to vote, old enough to live on his own, old enough to join the military, old enough to do basically anything he wanted except drink.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm NOT speaking as to this case, but the notion that a guy could come home from a tour in Iraq, greet his wife and kid - or kids - and not be able to go out for a beer or two to celebrate his return because he's *too young* and still considered an immature child when it comes to being allowed to buy a drink - that's just plain *dumb*. The first state to break ranks and introduce some sensible drinking laws will be *very* popular.

(I was born and raised in Scotland, where you can be served alcohol in a private place (i.e. a home) at any age, you can drink beer and wine (but not spirits) in public - in a bar or restaurant - at 15, if you're with someone over 18, and the full drinking age is 18)

I cannot comment too much because I have family members who are MOS's in the area, but as an alumna of Pace's Pleasantville-based Criminal Justice program, and as someone who works in the field, as well, I find it appalling that the University found it appropriate to sponsor a candlelight vigil for someone who tried to murder two police officers.

Unfortunately our D.A. loves the chance to go after police officers any chance she gets.

Example?

i don't always agree with police police shootings, but this is one that i cannot see anything the officers did wrong, granted what i have read so far is truth. if you look at the pics of the kids car from lohud, you can see that his axle is broken, obviously it takes a hell of a lot of force to break an axle. I know the officer that was on the hood - he's a great guy and a great officer, my prayers go out to him, as well as the family of the kid. This incident not only effected them, but the bystanders at the bar, i hope those kids are ok as well. I was not at the bar that night, although it is (was) a regular stomping ground for me. I just hope the cops don't get hung for protecting themselves, their fellow officers AND the hundreds of innocent patrons of the bar standing outside

God Bless the members of PPD, MPPD, PVAC and HFD EMS for their efforts that night

No one ever agrees with Police shootings, including the Police! You think anyone in L.E. wants to be involved in a shooting, no matter how justified? Months, even years of investigations, civil suits, having your name in the paper. The press and Courts will now have several years, literally, years to second guess what these officers had what, 5 seconds to decide on?

joshlost818 and helicopper like this

I think it was semi-comical when the one person interviewed said they should of used a stun gun instead. Pretty sure it's damn near impossible to use one effectively on a moving car...

My heart goes out to all of the Police Officers involved in this Thornwood incident. I hope you guys know that for everyone who is publicly bashing you, there's two more who support you.

chris likes this

No one ever agrees with Police shootings, including the Police! You think anyone in L.E. wants to be involved in a shooting, no matter how justified? Months, even years of investigations, civil suits, having your name in the paper. The press and Courts will now have several years, literally, years to second guess what these officers had what, 5 seconds to decide on?

Not all shootings are warranted (courts have proved this), not all cops are trained or retain training the same...that's all I was saying

For this situtation, nothing I've read makes me believe these fine officers did anything wrong, and I hope it stays that way

Side note:I just read an article on LoHud, the passengers are now speaking out. We'll see what kind of circus the media is going to bring to town now!

My thoughts and prayers go out to our brothers who were forced to take the action that no cop ever wants to take. I use the word forced because thats what it was, they were forced by the suspect to use deadly physical force. I have every expectation that this shooting will be found justified by the grand jury.

I am disgusted but not suprised by the reporting by news12 of this issue. This guy wasn't the "victim" he is the "suspect" but yet they keep referring to him as the victim. The only victims in this situation are the 3 officers that are involved.

I laughed when I saw the comment from one of the naacp leaders who asked when will the police move away from the mentality that they always have to use a gun and when will they learn to use a taser instead. This is comical because when a cop uses a taser, the same guy will be crying brutality. The police literally can't win.

I wasn't really suprised by a lot of the news12 and lohud comments, not in this liberal county. It's amazing how people that know nothing about policing will always try to second guess us, no other profession gets second guessed like law enforcement.

Stupid comments like " sounds like someone is trigger happy" and " why didn't they shoot out the tires." You come to expect it but what's very bothersome to me is that the officers and their families have to see and read that nonsense and it only makes it worse on them.

I am so disgusted with news 12 that I have called verizon and made an installation appointment for fios just to get rid of cablevision and I cancelled my subscription to the journal news as soon as I saw their headlines... I would urge other to do the same.

Sorry guys, I know I started ranting but some things just get under your skin..

FirefighterJr and Truck4 like this

The news and media converage, loves to hype up what exactly happend the night. The truth will come out. All else is hear say to point that story will change several times. The facts and investigation will tell the truth. There is no difference between a police officer and a civilian, you hit them and don't stop, something is bound to happen.. Fast recovery for the MOS, prayers to the freinds and family.. If a police officer says stop, i think i would....

Not all shootings are warranted (courts have proved this), not all cops are trained or retain training the same...that's all I was saying

For this situtation, nothing I've read makes me believe these fine officers did anything wrong, and I hope it stays that way

Side note:I just read an article on LoHud, the passengers are now speaking out. We'll see what kind of circus the media is going to bring to town now!

Courts have the luxury of spending weeks, months, in some cases even years analyzing and picking apart the seconds that result in a police involved shooting. I'm not sure what shootings you're referring too but given the number of police on the street and the numbers of interactions they have with people on a daily basis the number of police involved shootings are remarkably low. This is one of the reasons they are so sensationalized by the media.

All cops have standard firearms and use of force training and are retrained in it regularly. I don't know what your point is but let's stick to what we actually know instead of speculating.

Of course there have been shootings that in retrospect were unwarranted or mistakes. But, I could probably guarantee that in those cases, with literally only a split second to decide, the Officer's involved made the best choice they could.

Think about the many video of traffic stops gone bad that permeate those reality shows. Imagine conducting your 5,000 "routine" traffic stop, and something goes awry. We are not exaggerating when we say you have a second or two to react. There are some that would advocate the officers wait and take more time to make a "better" decision. Unfortunately, that will inevitably lead to more officer fatalities. It's indisputable.

The best part about the LoHud article is the injured passenger conceding that they drove into the officer, yet he goes on to fail to see the what "prompted the shooting."

FirefighterJr and SageVigiles like this

Of course there have been shootings that in retrospect were unwarranted or mistakes. But, I could probably guarantee that in those cases, with literally only a split second to decide, the Officer's involved made the best choice they could.

Think about the many video of traffic stops gone bad that permeate those reality shows. Imagine conducting your 5,000 "routine" traffic stop, and something goes awry. We are not exaggerating when we say you have a second or two to react. There are some that would advocate the officers wait and take more time to make a "better" decision. Unfortunately, that will inevitably lead to more officer fatalities. It's indisputable.

The best part about the LoHud article is the injured passenger conceding that they drove into the officer, yet he goes on to fail to see the what "prompted the shooting."

Always out of damn rep points when I need 'em the most. nice posts today INIT, Chris, all you guys. This is a crappy situation. nobody wants to see a dead college kid; but when they make BAD DECISIONS like this one did....well look at the results of his actions.

I feel so bad for the Brothers involved in this. I can just imagine what it's going to be like with a grand jury, the media coverage, the modified duty, etc. It SUCKS.

Just a guy likes this