Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Albany Cold Storage Warehouse Fire

11 posts in this topic

Youtube credit:rjsamson080

A SHARP FIRE CHIEF REMEMBERS "FROM WORCESTER (MA) TO ALBANY (NY)" HISTORY IS NOT REPEATED AT THE ALBANY COLD STORAGE WAREHOUSE FIRE

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/119933

ALBANY -- Firefighters went floor by floor Monday searching for the origin of the blaze at Central Warehouse, which they entered for the first time since the fire broke out Friday, while State Police cadaver dogs found no bodies in the massive building.

Good photos from around the structure

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Cause-of-fire-is-next-step-722472.php

Just seen this story on the Times Union:

ALBANY -- A Rensselaer contractor who police said was illegally in the Central Warehouse removing piping has been charged with burglary and other counts in connection with last weekend's fire at the gigantic structure.

I heard that AFD were still there yesterday. I also heard that they estimate over 2.5 million gallons of water was flowed.

Just seen this story on the Times Union:

I heard that AFD were still there yesterday. I also heard that they estimate over 2.5 million gallons of water was flowed.

Still there today. Crews overhauling. 2 water mains have broken so far.

That first video clip looks like it was taken not long after the FD was dispatched.....it took only a few minutes for those flames to be blowing out of the window.....from light smoke to full fire in 5 minutes or less.....

Off to look at Eli's pictures - hope I'm not in any!

A very close reminder of what happened in Worcester when six firefighters were lost at a very similiar fire. This time NOBODY LOST. That's some of the BEST NEWS in the Fire Service today.

IzzyEng4 and efdcapt115 like this

Just a question. Where those tracks an abandoned line or where they compromised for benefit of the operation? Does not seem like any other way to attack that exposure except over the tracks. Either way kudos for a job well done when everyone comes home from a job like this.

efdcapt115 likes this

The RR tracks were closed while firefighting operations were in progress. Amtrak and CP Rail police & engineers were on the scene. Another section of freight track (separate line) was closed so that LDH could be laid across to supply engines from another main.

On another note - http://www.esquire.com/features/perfect-fire-0700

Reposted from FF Close Calls article, but a great read.

The RR tracks were closed while firefighting operations were in progress. Amtrak and CP Rail police & engineers were on the scene. Another section of freight track (separate line) was closed so that LDH could be laid across to supply engines from another main.

On another note - http://www.esquire.com/features/perfect-fire-0700

Reposted from FF Close Calls article, but a great read.

Thanks Eli for the audio on that!....

Very good call on AFD for no entry - from what I have heard there are holes all over the place in the floors.....

AFD is still there as of around noon today.....

As for the tracks - Amtrak had to shut down for a while, fire operations would shut down when a train was due through. I do know that some tracks were on fire at one point the first day.....

From what I have heard over the radio, good cooperation and coordination with multiple agencies for this.