Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Retiring Chief Replacement

8 posts in this topic

I posted this ? here because of an issue in a neighboring town concerning the Police Chief, but this scenario could apply to the Fire Service, as well.

Why is it that local governments and their politicians (selectmen, city council, trustees, whatever), almost always look outside their immediate area when it comes time to appoint a new Chief when the current leader retires?

Especially when they are happy with the current state of affairs if you will, and there is qualified talent, (Deputy Chief, Capt. Lt. ) available within their internal ranks.

I provides someone who has no personal ties to people he must supervise. It may also provide someone who is more beholding to the mayor than the men and women serving under them.

Quite often, that Chief from the outside comes to town for about 2-5yrs, wrecks a fd and its morale, and moves on to another city. You see their names over and over in the trade magazines and they are always Chief, but from a different city.

Quite often, that Chief from the outside comes to town for about 2-5yrs, wrecks a fd and its morale, and moves on to another city. You see their names over and over in the trade magazines and they are always Chief, but from a different city.

I would tend to disagree. In SOME cases, when a department's morale is already abysmal or if there is a major disaster to the department (see Charleston FD as an example) replacing the Chief with an out of town individual can be a good idea. New Haven PD did a few years ago with Chief Lewis from California, morale was incredible during his tenure. I think its all about the individual. Also, sometimes there just isn't a qualified candidate within the department with the proper leadership ability and someone needs to come in to help develop future leadership within the department.

I think the situation is likely much more complex than we often give it credit. There are to major political entities for a new chief do face: the city councilors/board/mayor/whatever and the Dept. While everything seems good, often people in government seek outside persons to either validate their dept. is doing well or uncover issues and correct them. Like anything, the hiring process rarely uncovers all the things about the new boss, who may "rock" the hiring process, then seemingly decimate the department afterwards. This could be a case of the great chief who is never accepted by the dept. or a snake oil salesman who BSed for the job, got it and now is revealing his true colors.

Hiring from within certainly is good for the dept. It shows that continued hard work and dedication will allow you to ascend the top rung, and puts a person in the position that is intimately familiar with the community, equipment and personnel. On the other hand, chances are that needed changes will go on unheeded or even recognized as we tend to narrow our view when we see everything our way. Maybe hiring consultants and outside trainers on a consistent basis can help overcome this, or maybe if it ain't broke...

I know that when the hiring of new Chief's in a local FD and my own were last undertaken, the politics came out, personal feelings about "people from away" and ridiculous perceptions of "big city" vs. small town" all contributed to some qualified candidates not getting as far as they probably should have.

I would tend to disagree. In SOME cases, when a department's morale is already abysmal or if there is a major disaster to the department (see Charleston FD as an example) replacing the Chief with an out of town individual can be a good idea. New Haven PD did a few years ago with Chief Lewis from California, morale was incredible during his tenure. I think its all about the individual. Also, sometimes there just isn't a qualified candidate within the department with the proper leadership ability and someone needs to come in to help develop future leadership within the department.

Agreed. The blanket notion about bringing in someone from the outside as elucidated above is overly simplistic. There are many reasons why a change in leadership, including bringing in an outside force, can be beneficial in certain instances.

There are any number of examples where outside leadership has brought change and advancement that entrenched traditionalists couldn't or wouldn't bring. Hiring only from within risks furthering mentalities that may be flawed, desiring only to carry on as has been practice, as opposed to realizing there may be a different (and better) way to accomplish something.

All valid points made, but so is mine. I was just trying to say be careful what you wish for, you just may get it. The carpetbaggers are still out there.

Of course if a FD is flawed, hiring from the outside may be the answer. Another possibility is the national search for an outsider is just a scare tactic on the part of the city administration who never had any intention to go to the outside.

Each cities case for hiring must be taken on an individual basis, but if you watch the ads in the trade mags, you will also see the same city appear every two years or so.

If you read between the lines, you can sometimes tell what is wrong with a FD and the guy they hire would be jumping into a hornets nest.