Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nwpfdjr27

New Deliveries for Schenectady

6 posts in this topic

From the Ferrara Fire website, they are reporting that the three apparatus Schenectady Fire had on order have been delivered. For those who are familiar with the current crisis for the firefighters in Schenectady, these apparatus are DESPERATELY needed. I do not know for sure, but these will most likely replace Engine 1, Engine 2, and Truck 1, all ALFs and the three oldest apparatus in the first due fleet as of now.

http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDeliveries/ND3_Platforms.html - tower ladder

http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDeliveries/Pages/pumpers/4635.html - twin set of engines

The gold on the cab is an interesting touch.

I have to dig around for my shots of Schenectady FD from back in 2002 when I was up there. I actually worked on State street (just west of Station 2 - technically Scotia) for a bit. I briefly worked for an outfit called Super Steel Schenectady, which refurbed Amtrak trains.

My photos of SFD are probably in with my shots of me attempting to park a locomotive.

Anyway, glad they're getting some new rigs.

I will post some photos as soon as they are lettered at Garrison Fire.

For those who are familiar with the current crisis for the firefighters in Schenectady, these apparatus are DESPERATELY needed. I do not know for sure, but these will most likely replace Engine 1, Engine 2, and Truck 1, all ALFs and the three oldest apparatus in the first due fleet as of now.

Anyway, glad they're getting some new rigs.

Dosent Schenectady Fire lease the entire fleet? With the normal replacement cycle 5 years on an engine and 7 years on a truck?

If this is correct then the only reason they need them so "desperately" is because they have to turn in the "old" (5-7 years) ones.

Dosent Schenectady Fire lease the entire fleet? With the normal replacement cycle 5 years on an engine and 7 years on a truck?

If this is correct then the only reason they need them so "desperately" is because they have to turn in the "old" (5-7 years) ones.

Bnechis as far as I know you are right, the rigs are leased (although I couldnt tell you the exact turnaround time), but Schenectady has been having major apparatus troubles over the past few months; just recently, mechanical troubles forced them to operate only a paramedic rescue fly car out of Station 2 with no engine at all, and they had to "borrow" an engine from Niskayuna District 1 to serve as first due out of Station 1 (which actually was put to use at a structure fire on Gerling St. as second due engine). Needless to say it was kind of funny to see a Niskayuna engine at an EMS call in the city, but of course it just goes to show how bad they need the new rigs.

Edited by nwpfdjr27