Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rutola413

Chimney fires

9 posts in this topic

Just wondering what your department does for chimney fires.

Auto Mutual Aid? Special Tactics that YOUR DEPT has found work better than others?

I ask because, here in MA, we automatically have a mutual aid ladder come in (no stick in town) and a tanker.

x635 likes this

If you don't have a truck having one on the box is a good idea. It seems an increasing number of chimney fire become structure fires these days. Probably because chimneys get older and the mortar and other materials deteriorate over time. So sending a full first alarm assignment is warranted.

I would cover these bases.

Inside Team: Gain entry, put down a tarp in front of the fireplace, remove the contents of the fire box, report condition to command, use the TIC to check the run of the chimney for indications of extension.

Roof Team: Get up to the roof have a roof ladder or two if your not operating off an aerial or tower. Remove the cap. Drop ziplock bags with full of ABC powder into the chimney to extinguish the fire. Thin non freezer bags are thin and melt quickly to extinguish the fire. Many places have chains to clear blockages. I would use them if necessary to get the fire out but be careful the last thing you want to do is cause damage that will allow the fire to extend. Also remember it's not your job to clean the chimney for the resident just put the fire out.

Additional Staff: Standby to stretch a hoseline, search the upper floors with the TIC for extension, RIT.

I will say that I have seen it done multiple ways and the way I described it above is what I personally found to be the most effective, professional, and safe. There are multiple methods and most work but the above way is least likely to damage the chimney and possibly cause extension.

Some other methods.

Misting nozzle: Idea is to steam out the fire with a small amount of water and not crack the flue. While this works I don't see the benifit over the ziplock bags. Add this to the manuvering you have to do on the roof to get it down the chimney its more difficult and increases the chance of falling off the roof. Also unless your connections are perfect water will leak onto the roof and potentially freeze causing additional hazards.

Application of a can or dry chem up the chimney: Can may crack the chimney. ABC undoubtedly will push back a little and make a mess. Both usually work because the natural flow of air carries the agent up the chimney.

Chimney Flares: Only have seen this method used once and it was not that effective. Others may have better experience.

Hope that answers your questions. If you have more ask. I'll get on after the Jet Game.

eric12401, waful, JBJ1202 and 2 others like this

After initial knockdown with ABC as described above by 16fire5, a combination of chains and a AFFF can fromm the top works pretty well on the remaining glowing creosote. A second AFFF can at the bottom is a good addition for the hot chunks coming down.

No chimney chains? Any chains will do. Get them out of your Hurst stuff or other tools and tie them on to a utility rope. Spin them gently.

Smoke not going away after extinguishment? Could be the fire got thru flue/masonry cracks and is now into wood frame members. This could be BIG! Use Tic and feel for heat. Check entire length of chimney including underside of fireplace. Check attic. Have lines in place before opening up anything.

Edited by wraftery
x635 and waful like this

My Department mostly uses chains, and cans. Never had a problem with it before. Just curious about other departments

Always have had the best success with chimney bombs and chains as the others mentioned.

Flares I've never had success...just a nice bright glow. Every once in a while you get one where its not hot enough for the bomb to melt and they fall right through. Not the end of the world just means you can chain it and it was smoldering.

Make sure whoever has the camera knows what they are looking at and for. Its more then change in color and having FF "bling" on your chest. It should help you give better customer service. I walked into a house about 2 years ago and a younger lets say less experience crew was checking the ceiling/wall where the pipe was running through and decided there was extension based on seeing a "high" heat signature around the ceiling area where the pipe went up and through. It was a black and white camera at the time...and needless to say nothing was there when they pulled the ceiling. Owner wasn't happy, and there was no chimney fire as they were new stove owners and experienced a puff back. Chimney was as clean as a baby's bare as..well you get the picture.

ALS brings up a good point about the TIC. All TICs pick up a temperature gradient of less than one degree. Hot(white) is a relative thing. I usually go with the rule of thumb that if the wall is too hot to hold your hand to it needs to be opened. I would lower my threshold a little when checking for chimney fire extension. A hot wall adjoining the chimney should be opened if it's relativly hotter than the other walls in the room. It's the same as when paramedics are taught to treat the patient not the monitor.

Chemflex, which has been back on the market for a yearish works very well. You need to cover the top and fireplace opening of the chimney after you place the bomb in the flue.

Another method (I have never tried at an actual chimney fire) is to us low power positive pressure fan and use a Dry Chem extingusher and intermittently shoot it up the chimney. The benefit for this method is no personnel needed on the roof, the negative is the pressure can force the fire thru cracks in the chimney. Must use a tic to look for extension.

The best way for homeowners to avoid a chimney fire is to have it properly cleaned every year before the cold season sets in and you have to start using it. Get a qualified chimney sweeper to come in and clean all the creosote off the walls of your chimney, and make sure it is operating properly and efficiently. Then we can avoid all these techniques, chimney bombs and chains and CO2 with positive pressure vents; all of which will leave a horrible mess IFO your Edit: fireplace, or stove.

Edited by efdcapt115

The best way for homeowners to avoid a chimney fire is to have it properly cleaned every year before the cold season sets in and you have to start using it. Get a qualified chimney sweeper to come in and clean all the creosote off the walls of your chimney, and make sure it is operating properly and efficiently.

post-4072-0-31889800-1288957347.jpg