Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Yonkers FD Ridge Hill Bunker Photo Oppurtunity

17 posts in this topic

On Wednesday, April 20th from 8AM-7PM, Yonkers Business Week is holding an event at Ridge Hill which will be open to the public.

It is free of charge and the guard will let you in if attending, no questions asked.

Here's your golden opportunity to photgraph the Yonkers FD Bunker

For more info on this event, go to cityofyonkers.com and see Yonkers Business Week in the "Doing Business With Yonkers" section. I stink at cut and paste, or would have done so.

This sholuld be the link described in the previous post. I just am not sure how to set this as a working link, so anyone---please--feel free!

url]http://www.yonkersbusinessweek.com/

FYI...The bunker has been moved... It's new location is

@#%^$#@&^%*$, otherwise known as Area 51.1

To my understanding and also from "reliable sources" the Yonkers Fire Department Bunker up at Ridge Hill, remains to be there and there are no current plans to move it. So, to see what YFD has stored up there (Mobile Command Unit, High Water Rescue Unit, HazMat Trailer, Spare Engine Companies (ie:305, 315, 316, 317) and Spare Ladder Companies (Ladder 76, 78 and 79), plus the No longer used Spare Rescue Truck, this would indeed be your opportunity to see them all.

I was up at the Ridge Hill Bunker about two weeks ago. It appears that they park all the apparatus inside. I did not see much of anything. The only thing I saw outside was a utility truck and a large school bus.

Yes, during the Winter Month's most of the Spare Rigs are stored "Inside" the Building up at the Ridge Hill Bunker. During the Warmer Weather, the Rigs are sometimes moved outside.

Ok, I know they are spare rigs, but why would you want to store them outside? If youve got the garage space, and it seems as though they do (ive never been up there), then the rigs should be kept indoors to protect them from the elements. This would also keep them cleaner, especially when the wind decides to whip dust and dirt all over the place.

They have to wash the rigs on an occassion. PS - Are there any windows on the Garage Doors at the Ridge Hill Bunker to see inside ???

FYI: Heard that the city is having another vehicle auction this June.

So some fire rigs may turn up like the last few auctions. Usually there were only one or two engines being sold for scrap.

On occassion with permission at least one member of emtbravo has been allowed to phtograph apparatus at Ridge Hill - Please be advised no unauthorized personnel with or without cameras are allowed in or around this facility - Thank You

Would Camaras be allowed up at Ridge Hill during the Yonkers Business Economic Development Open House Day up at Ridge Hill, as advertised, or will there be certain sections of the Ridge Hill Complex that will be "Restricted" during that day ????? Thank you Bill !!!

Thats Chief to you buddy - and I was unaware anyone advertised it ! The Fire building will be off limits to the public - access to this building has nothing to do with the business week!

Bill: Here is the informatiYONKERS BUSINESS EXPO

Wednesday, April 20th 10:00am - 7:00pm

Ridge Hill Plaza-One Ridge Hill Drive Free

One of the largest business-to-business expo events in the tri-state area, the 2005 Yonkers Business Expo attracts businesses, government agencies, and not-for-profits that positively impact the business environment. Providing direct access to thousands of potential customers and constituents, the annual exhibit hall is an excellent opportunity for lenders, developers, business professionals, government agencies, community groups, and others to showcase products, technologies, services and programs

on on the Yonkers Business Week Tour of the Ridge Hill Facility -

Now, Bill, is the area the YFD uses to store it Spare Rigs and other Specialized Apparatus "away" from the General Area up at Ridge Hill that will be the focus of this tour? Can we all assume the YFD will restrict anyone from wandering over to the Garage Area up in Ridge Hill, where these rigs are stored (aka: The Ridge Hill Bunker)??? during tomorrow's tour of the Ridge Hill Facility??

I just pose the question of why is YFD so secretive about what is at the Ridge Hill Bunker?

The area contains specialized equipment of a "sensitive" nature -therefore I think it is obvious why it is not accesssable

to the public.

Yes, for those people who are interested in knowing what "Spare" Engines and Ladder Trucks that YFD has in place for contingency purposes, I see those individuals valid points that they should be able to Photograph these rigs (ie: Spare 315, Spare Ladder 78). HOWEVER, YFD's HazMat Unit as well as other Mobile Units that revolve around DISASTER REACTIONS (Bio-Hazzards, etc), are units that have "Specialized Equipment" aboard, that "MUST" be kept under lock and key (TOTAL RESTRICTIONS FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC) as if this equipment was ever "Tampered" it could result in Catastophic Results (which we ALL don't really want- Do We?). Maybe the BEST way to keep those curiousity seekers HAPPY, would be to have YFD take photos of ALL of the Spare Rigs and Non-Senisitive Specialized Rigs (Such as the High Water Rescue Unit and the Converted School Bus and Post these Photos on the YFD Web Site for all to see. Other units would be kept restricted (No Photos).

This is not a restricted area. I have driven up there on numerous occasions. It is on private property. The guard shack is there to prevent anybody not affilated with this property from entering.

Once you are past the guard shack you are able to drive about the property. I think you are looking into this a little bit to far.

I dont believe the YFD has anything to hide from the general public.