Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

New Rochelle High School Major Fire-images from the 1960's

42 posts in this topic

Holy Mackerel, that is a beautiful place to have a school! I am guessing that it is a multi story semi commercial with halls lining the exterior? How did it start?

Waste paper basket !!!!

Soundview Chevrolet .......................... Crabtree Chrysler/Plymouth

Crabtree is what I remember, but Barry may know , he was standing behind the police lines!!!!!!!

Crabtree is what I remember, but Barry may know , he was standing behind the police lines!!!!!!!

Way behind....about 1.5 miles (at home)

Holy Mackerel, that is a beautiful place to have a school! I am guessing that it is a multi story semi commercial with halls lining the exterior? How did it start?

Was built as a school (not semi commercial) Interior halls classrooms on either side.

Waste paper basket !!!!

Plus a little help from an arsonest.

Plus a little help from an arsonest.

Did I forget to mention that the basket was set on fire by a troubled student. And that he put the basket on a chair that was on top of a table in the library..........The fire in the basket was real close to the ceiling and the rest is history.

As you looked at the explosion site, Crabtree was a pile of rubble to the right and Soundview was to the left. They were 2 connected dealerships. Soundview burned and Crebtree blew up.

fire took place on a Saturday ?

No..... It was a school day. I can remember seeing the smoke from my school during gym class.

Wow... What a nice kid...

And believe it or not he wasn't arrested for that fire. It was reported he was caught setting a fire at the Albert Leonard Middle School where many of the H.S. students were sent to finish out the school year. (This info was from blogs about the fire)

"And young Barry ran home to read about the 'fire triangle' (they hadn't discovered the tetrahedron yet) and became engrossed in ALL things fire department..."

post-1020-0-58043700-1289347029.jpg

not quite. No interest in fire till much later

not quite. No interest in fire till much later

After R.E.A.C.T.