Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Suspect In The Front Seat?

8 posts in this topic

I've always wondered, how come you see, on reality TV shows mostly, a suspect that the Police Officer is going to transport to jail sit in the front passenger seat?

I always assumed that it was so the camera crew could sit in back, but isn't having the suspect in the front seat in a non cage car a safety hazard?

And then I just read something where, in some agencies, it's common practice.

Even for a cooperative subject, how can this be safe?

Well, in our agency, all of our cars, (well, over 99% of our more than 3000 cars), are non-cage cars. And it is Division policy that the prisoner sit up front. The reason being, it is a lot easier to watch him/her, in the event he/she tries anything. When they are in the back seat, it's very difficult to watch them, and they have a bit of a tactical advantage from behind.

x635 likes this

Well, in our agency, all of our cars, (well, over 99% of our more than 3000 cars), are non-cage cars. And it is Division policy that the prisoner sit up front. The reason being, it is a lot easier to watch him/her, in the event he/she tries anything. When they are in the back seat, it's very difficult to watch them, and they have a bit of a tactical advantage from behind.

What's the policy after midnight when there are two troopers? Both on the drivers side and the prisoner in the rear right (passenger) side?

What's the policy after midnight when there are two troopers? Both on the drivers side and the prisoner in the rear right (passenger) side?

Yes Chris-

The Textbook answer is Second Uniform member sits directly behind the driver, with the suspect in the back-seat, passenger side. (Although I am still waiting to actually see that in action.)

Yes Chris-

The Textbook answer is Second Uniform member sits directly behind the driver, with the suspect in the back-seat, passenger side. (Although I am still waiting to actually see that in action.)

I remember one case where this occurred with a favorable outcome:

http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkillers/M/MENGEL_alex_j.php

Yes Chris-

INIT915- NJSP?

INIT915=NYSP

NJSP is very similar, very few caged cars and suspect sits in front. They also go to 2 man cars on the night shift. Stay safe.

Scott