Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sfrd18

Newark FD Layoffs and Company Closures

9 posts in this topic

As of Friday, November 12th, 2010, 24 Newark Firefighters were scheduled to be laid off and rally was held at 1130hrs. on the 12th in Newark to support Newark's Bravest. I was wondering if anyone knew the outcome of the layoffs. In addition, 167 Newark Police Officers and hundreds of civilian city employees were also scheduled to be laid off.

Also, as of 0800hrs. on Sunday, November 21st, 2010, Engine's 12 and 16 and Truck 1 are scheduled to be disbanded and Truck 1's Firehouse at 191 Orange St., North of Downtown Newark, to only house Battalion 6. The members will be dispersed to other active companies and Truck 11 will assume Haz-Mat. duties w/the Haz-Mat. Unit. Also, Rescue 1 will be relocated to Fire Station # 11 w/Engine 11 and Truck 11 and Truck 8 will be(as far as I know) housed alone in North Ironbound at Fire Station # 16. This will bring the total active frontline apparatus roster for the city of Newark FD from 17 Engines, 9 Trucks, and 1 Rescue to 15 Engines, 8 Trucks, and 1 Rescue.

It's horrible to see what this world is coming to that we have to lay off firefighters, police, etc. . They are a big part of the world we cant afford to lose them. Sooner rather than later there's gonna be no fire, police an the citizens are going to have to fend for themselves.

Wow 167 cops? Thats a great deal more than Fd, when the layoffs happen up near me the numbers are much closer in people laid off wise, still unfornatue. Any idea whats happening to truck 1's rig? Its an 08 ALF so its going to someone else, any idea who?

I thought I heard on the news that the fire department union did some agreement with the city and there would be no layoffs. The police department is another story all together. IMO people love the fire departments in the country and not the Police until you need them.

chris

Newark is so corrupt it's never going to be fixed. The only thing they've got going emergency-service wise is UMDNJ EMS, which they actually don't have anything to do with.

Facebook Founder Mark Zuckenberg recently gave Newark schools $100 million, yes $100 million, to go from the worst school system to the model for inner urban school systems. The situation in Newark was highlighted in the movie "Waiting For Superman".

Mayor Corey Booker has the right intentions with this, but Newark is so infested with gangs and parents that don't care that there's never going to be any real change.

Same goes for the citizens of Newark. Most of the elderly, longtime residents of the City feel trapped in their own houses, afraid to go out due to the crime and violence. And very few residents own their homes or are invested in the community. The only vibrant part of the city is segragated, the 99% hispanic "Ironbound" section.

Newark, which was a propsering, great city at on time, was irreversibly damaged during the riots. To lay off Cops is letting the gangs grow larger and is making it more dangerous for the officers that are already out there. The fire department was in the process of getting it's act together over the past few years and making improvements, is now back to Sqaure 1.

Newark is so corrupt it's never going to be fixed. The only thing they've got going emergency-service wise is UMDNJ EMS, which they actually don't have anything to do with.

UMDNJ hospital is a state run hospital so we are at the mercy of Gov. Christie. Our license plates if you look closely say "state government" with the prefix "SG" on them. When he cuts funding to the hospital, that can include the EMS division. There have been cut backs in the hospital due to the fiscal crisis, but as of now, not in the EMS dept. All of us down here are nervous as to what will happen down the road. Hopefully this recession/depression ends soon so we can all take a sigh of relief, whenever, if ever, that occurs.

The Court delayed the layoffs for both PD as well as FD. Newark is a complete mess.

http://photos.nj.com/star-ledger/2010/11/ex1113stay_2.html

At least they delayed the layoffs. Newark is definitely a mess, can't argue with that. Anyone have any more news on the company closures?

If Truck 1 is disbanded, my guess is that the 2008 ALF 110' stick will go to either Truck 4 or Truck 10, since I believe they're the oldest Truck Companies in the NFD fleet. I believe they're both 1991 E-One 110' sticks, although I could be wrong.

Wow 167 cops? Thats a great deal more than Fd, when the layoffs happen up near me the numbers are much closer in people laid off wise, still unfornatue. Any idea whats happening to truck 1's rig? Its an 08 ALF so its going to someone else, any idea who?

Ladder 1's 08 ALF is now in Ladder 11's quarters. Ladder 11's E-one rig is in Engine 18 and Battalion 4's firehouse as a reserve apparatus.