Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
babhits16

NYC Fire Patrol Trying to Make a Comeback

29 posts in this topic

Seems a bit shady right now.....not a lot of info on how they are going to fund and implement their plan, and no mention how they are going to intergrate with FDNY.

It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds, services they will offer and yes, how they'll integrate with FDNY. On a sidenote, Pleasantville FD (Westchester County) has a Fire Patrol Company, although I believe they are combined salvage, search & rescue and intitial fire suppression.

How did the old Fire Patrol function? With only three companies, did they respond to all fires, or only large fires?

On a sidenote, Pleasantville FD (Westchester County) has a Fire Patrol Company, although I believe they are combined salvage, search & rescue and intitial fire suppression.

To the best of my knowledge the Pleasantvile FD's Fire Patrol Co. is a Patrol in name only. Check out Pleasantville FD's Apparatus page to view a picture and some info on Rescue 47 (Fire Patrol Co's apparatus). Prior to Westchester County adopting NFPA designations for apparatus, this Company's apparatus was designated as Patrol 7. As you can see in the above referenced link the current apparatus is more of a Rescue/Engine.

Edited by SteveOFD

To the best of my knowledge the Pleasantvile FD's Fire Patrol Co. is a Patrol in name only. Check out Pleasantville FD's Apparatus page to view a picture and some info on Rescue 47 (Fire Patrol Co's apparatus). Prior to Westchester County adopting NFPA designations for apparatus, this Company's apparatus was designated as Patrol 7. As you can see in the above referenced link the current apparatus is more of a Rescue/Engine.

Its quite possible that its in name only now. When I lived in Pleasantville back in the mid-70's, I remember them doing salvage, initial fire attack and search and rescue. And yes, now that you mention it, they used to be called "Patrol 7". Are there any other Departments in Westchester who have Fire Patrol Companies, even if in name only?

How did the old Fire Patrol function? With only three companies, did they respond to all fires, or only large fires?

The Patrol responded to fires and sprinkler discharges in commercial buildings.

Its quite possible that its in name only now. When I lived in Pleasantville back in the mid-70's, I remember them doing salvage, initial fire attack and search and rescue. And yes, now that you mention it, they used to be called "Patrol 7". Are there any other Departments in Westchester who have Fire Patrol Companies, even if in name only?

Picture links from LFD171's website.

Chappaqua Fire Patrol Rescue 23

Croton on Hudson Fire Patrol Co. #1 Rescue 18

Larchmont Fire Patrol? Rescue 1

Mount Kisco Fire Patrol Co. Rescue 15 & Rescue 31

Peekskill Fire Patrol Rescue 134

Pleasantville Fire Patrol Rescue 47

Port Chester Fire Patrol & Rescue Co. Rescue 40

Rye Fire Patrol Co. Utility 39

Sleepy Hollow Fire Patrol Co. #1 Rescue 12

Seems a bit shady right now.....not a lot of info on how they are going to fund and implement their plan, and no mention how they are going to intergrate with FDNY.

Go to the About Us page and it give the brief explanation: http://www.newyorkfirepatrol.com/About.html

I don't think its be "shady" at all especially if its being spearheaded by Mr. Roma who has a lot of credibility! It says it in the first sentence in the first paragraph; "relying on public contributions and both corporate and governmental grants,".

Like they say, they are still in the organizational stage, though they were able to get their incorporation. You need to be incorporated so you can move forward with any plans.

Also they will not be integrated with the FDNY as the original Fire Patrol (which by the was about fifty years older that the FDNY) was a totally separate entity (as the Brooklyn Salvage Corps as well before they merged into the NYFP). Now if you meant working together, well like it says they are still in the organizational process, your not going to have an agreement with working with an agency until you have you set rules, regulations, funding, apparatus, housing, ect. The organizational process will take some time, at least a year before we hear some definitive answers.

I hope the venture is successful and has the support of FDNY and the other agencies they will work with.

Remember, the basis for a Fire Patrol is the old "sack and bucket" aka salvage and overhaul.

I agree with your interpretation on this one Seth

I looked at this site last night. I'm going to give it a wait and see approach. I wonder if any of my Patrolio buddies are going to give it a nother shot when it's back up and running.

I think this is just a few people thta can not let go and will try anything to get it back. I would say as of October 16th, 2006 the NYC Fire Patrol is dead. I do not think the city will help out as they did not when the patrol was still open and looking for the FDNY and the city to step in and keep the doors open that did not happen then and it will not happen now. The way I read the new site is that they are looking to do this as a volunteer thing with the hope of getting paid later on down the road I do not see the union let this happen.

Just my 1.5 cents on this.

P.S. I know alot of the guys that lost heir jobs when they closed up and most of them would not go back.

Chris

R.I.P.

Keith Roma 9-11-2001 Fire Patrol # 2

post-1209-0-75933100-1290455478.jpg

As much as I think they did a great job when they were around, I really think that it's a lost cause now.............Case closed!

Their benefit is to the insurance industry in reducing damages incurred during a fire. Why would anyone but the insurance industry contribute money to their existence for anything more than nostalgia?

At least it's not those guys toodling around the Bronx, claiming to be a Fire Patrol.

At least it's not those guys toodling around the Bronx, claiming to be a Fire Patrol.

I haven't seen or heard of those guys since a good samaritan notified the Marshals..........................B)

If anyone is concerned about its legitimacy, they updated the site with there Board of the Directors. Take a look who who are the directors. This confirms they are legitimate and should put questions to rest.

http://www.newyorkfirepatrol.com/More_About_Us.html

Additionally the page in their website with NYFP news is very informative as to what their next steps are.

They plan to be up and running by 9/11/2011.

http://www.newyorkfirepatrol.com/NYFP_NEWS.html

Edited by bvfdjc316

Hey how many of you guys have seen R1SmokeEater's video on the FPNY?

Youtube credit: Our very own R1SmokeEater

If anyone is concerned about its legitimacy, they updated the site with there Board of the Directors. Take a look who who are the directors. This confirms they are legitimate and should put questions to rest.

http://www.newyorkfirepatrol.com/More_About_Us.html

I agree, there are some very influential men listed as being on the Board of Directors. I wish them well. The Insurance industry (Corporate, mega wealthy swine) did a great dis-service by disbanding 'The Patrol'.

I agree, there are some very influential men listed as being on the Board of Directors. I wish them well. The Insurance industry (Corporate, mega wealthy swine) did a great dis-service by disbanding 'The Patrol'.

Ditto!!

Did the fire patrol go into structures to remove property while firefighting operations were still going on? Do they wait until overhaul stage or after all operations are done?

Did the fire patrol go into structures to remove property while firefighting operations were still going on? Do they wait until overhaul stage or after all operations are done?

They were trained and equipped to operate inside burning buildings (PPE including SCBA) and operated as per the direction of the F.D.N.Y. I.C.

Didn't Anderson Cooper buy their Manhattan station and turned it into a residence? Also, what happened to their apparatus and equipment?

I know the benefits of the Fire Patrol, but agree with ny10570. These companies were primarily formed by the insurance companies to reduce their losses, saving them and their customers money. They've also saved priceless artifacts and some valuable NYC historical structures. However, now they are going to be saving the wealthy investors of these insurance companies money, so they can go out sailing or play tennis at their mansions on the blood, tears, and sweat of the fire patrol.

If they do get the legislation passed, and if they do get funding, I would imagine there is still a ton to be worked out. I still strongly think the best option would be to rally the public and lobby the insurance industry for funding.

But, with FDNY closing companies, what is more valuable- material items or human lives? Will the grants and donations they get take away from other existing agencies who may need these funds to staff apparatus or replace equipment?

Kudos for their effort, but I don't think it's going to be succesful unless they can get millions annually from the insurance industry I don't see this being viable unless they can succesfully fund multiple companies, because their efforts depend on how fast they can respond.

The only way I can see this working long term besides insurance company funding, is to sell "subscriptions" to it's services, and billing the insurance companies for their work.

I looked at the list of folks on the board and found it to funny that the guy who closed the patrol is now on the board to bring them back. I think he lost his job a year or so later so now he is looking for work.

Just so you all know who he is.

Gregory Serio, VIce-President

Former NYS Superintendent of Insurance

Chief, Verdoy (N.Y.) Fire Department

Didn't Anderson Cooper buy their Manhattan station and turned it into a residence? Also, what happened to their apparatus and equipment?

I know the benefits of the Fire Patrol, but agree with ny10570. These companies were primarily formed by the insurance companies to reduce their losses, saving them and their customers money. They've also saved priceless artifacts and some valuable NYC historical structures. However, now they are going to be saving the wealthy investors of these insurance companies money, so they can go out sailing or play tennis at their mansions on the blood, tears, and sweat of the fire patrol.

If they do get the legislation passed, and if they do get funding, I would imagine there is still a ton to be worked out. I still strongly think the best option would be to rally the public and lobby the insurance industry for funding.

But, with FDNY closing companies, what is more valuable- material items or human lives? Will the grants and donations they get take away from other existing agencies who may need these funds to staff apparatus or replace equipment?

Kudos for their effort, but I don't think it's going to be succesful unless they can get millions annually from the insurance industry I don't see this being viable unless they can succesfully fund multiple companies, because their efforts depend on how fast they can respond.

The only way I can see this working long term besides insurance company funding, is to sell "subscriptions" to it's services, and billing the insurance companies for their work.

X635 anderson cooper did buy the the east village house,and i think the dean st one i heard became a day car but dont take my word for it. The rigs were up for sale on a website.

It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds, services they will offer and yes, how they'll integrate with FDNY. On a sidenote, Pleasantville FD (Westchester County) has a Fire Patrol Company, although I believe they are combined salvage, search & rescue and intitial fire suppression.

Pleasantville FD's Patrol Company is fire patrol in name only pretty much. We have adopted the title of Rescue Company. I guess it is just not worth the work to g and change the name officially. We used ot have Patrol 7 now we have Rescue 47. I feel this is similar to what has became of the Fire Patrols in Westchester County.

I looked at the list of folks on the board and found it to funny that the guy who closed the patrol is now on the board to bring them back. I think he lost his job a year or so later so now he is looking for work.

Just so you all know who he is.

Gregory Serio, VIce-President

Former NYS Superintendent of Insurance

Chief, Verdoy (N.Y.) Fire Department

Yep, the guy also does a conservative radio talk show in albany. He speaks about consolidation of services but i dont see it happening with the volunteer dept where he's chief (wealthy suburban town). the station hates public employees, especially career firefighters and is vocal about it.