Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Does A Probie Count?

14 posts in this topic

I'm just curious, in your department, does a probie count towards staffing, or does he/she need to complete probation before they count toward staffing?

If responding to an alarm or stucture call, we do not count them.

If they have FF1, but still probie status, we do count them.

If they do not have MRT (CFR-D) we do not count them on a medical call. If they do, we will

At work yes, just ask Mike Reilly's mom. At home only if it is an exterior operation.

Ladder44 likes this

Define Probie.

Are you sure you want to go there?

Define Probie.

Probationary firefighter. Completed academy, but hasn't completed "probationary" period on the streets. New guy. Rookie. Whatever you call them lol.

The question as it is posted is kind of vague, in my opinion.

1. Define the Probie. In Department "A" he could be a new volunteer off the street with no training. In Department "B" he could be 11 months in, completed his FF I and other required programs. Department "C" probies could be paid firemen in their first year, post-academy. And, in some cases, a Probie could mean a junior member (below age 16).

2. In our department, we have "Probationary Active Firefighters (PAFs) whom are 16-17 years old. Generally they complete Scene Support Ops and/or Firefighter I, and often other courses. They do not count as minimum staffing on a rig until they are 18 and have completed FF 1. We also have "Probies" whom are at least 18 years of age, whom retain this status until they complete FF 1 (or if they choose - SSO). Until they've completed FF 1, they do not count. If that Probie completes FF 1 within, say, 5 months, he may no longer be considered a Probie. It's also gauged on their participation in calls, drills and other activities around the firehouse.

3. As far as I am concerned, many, if not most, "Probies" do in fact "count" for something. They can be the guys running back and forth to the rig for equipment, they can throw ladders, hook hydrants, etc. so we can free up a "qualified" firefighter. We drill quite often with our Probies on all of the things they can do to support us on the fireground. Whenever we can, we'll get them involved at incidents to give them that first-hand learning experience that can't always be taught in the classroom. Our Probies, especially the PAFs, are spending those two years before turning 18 becoming some of the best future firefighters in our department.

So, in a nutshell, I think Probies can count for something.

In our department every new member is a probie. However if we get a transfer from another department with all the requirements needed they count just like any other member, they are still considered a probie on paper.

In my department (career, 15-17 members per shift) probies do count. They are hired with a minimum of FF 1 and EMT Basic ( preferably paramedic) and then complete a three week recruit school. They are then placed on the line and mentored through their first year. They have a year to complete FF 2, though usually most have that ahead of time. We just don't have the luxury to have them ride as an extra.

Probationary firefighter. Completed academy, but hasn't completed "probationary" period on the streets. New guy. Rookie. Whatever you call them lol.

By that definition yes. We have written and unwritten procedures to make sure they're properly supervised.

In my department if you join as a cadet probie status is waived when you get voted in as a full member. If you join at 18 without going through the cadet program you are on a 6 month probationary status. You count but you are limited to what you can do depending on what training you have (I.e ff1)