Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Zadroga Bill PASSES on second vote in Senate

62 posts in this topic

Great point bad box--- where is he? he stood toe to toe with fdny swore he never would forget!! Said the world will hear us, now when its time to pony up and protect us...hes gone--in texas-- writing a book about how well he did. Tell that to the thousands that are sick and dying. The ones that lost insurance and are now facing the lose of unemployment. Where is he now... like the old game we use to play when we were kids "COME OUT COME OUT WHERE EVER YOU ARE"

Cant help the rant but this being held hostage by the rebublicans has just got to me. Tax breaks for the rich or no benifits for the thousands who helped clean up the biggest terriost attack on our Country.

Its just not right please remeber

I have sent my e mails to all of them whats the chances of a reply?? hmmm I will tell you slim and none.

efdcapt115 likes this

Great point bad box--- where is he? he stood toe to toe with fdny swore he never would forget!! Said the world will hear us, now when its time to pony up and protect us...hes gone--in texas-- writing a book about how well he did. Tell that to the thousands that are sick and dying. The ones that lost insurance and are now facing the lose of unemployment. Where is he now... like the old game we use to play when we were kids "COME OUT COME OUT WHERE EVER YOU ARE"

Cant help the rant but this being held hostage by the rebublicans has just got to me. Tax breaks for the rich or no benifits for the thousands who helped clean up the biggest terriost attack on our Country.

Its just not right please remeber

I have sent my e mails to all of them whats the chances of a reply?? hmmm I will tell you slim and none.

Great post Capt. & THANK YOU for e-mailing all of the GOP Senators who unanimously refused to support our Nation's First Responders who are in desperate need of assistance ...

I received some generic, automatic replies from several GOP Senators. I also e-mailed Florida Democratic Senator Bill Nelson and received the following reply:

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 847, the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010. On December 9, I voted for a procedural motion to bring this bill up for debate in the Senate, but it failed on a party-line vote.

H.R. 847 would help cover the health care costs of workers and first responders who are experiencing health problems as a result of their work at Ground Zero after the September 11 terror attacks. Many first responders are being diagnosed with long-term conditions as a result of inhaling toxic substances at the site of the attacks.

I hope that Congress can find a way to overcome the gridlock and help these heroes get the care they need. These Americans made tremendous sacrifices and saved countless lives during one of the country's darkest hours.

Thank you again for contacting me and please do not hesitate to do so in the future.

Sincerely,

Senator Bill Nelson

Isn't it amazing that me, a faithful registered Republican voter for 34 years (until I became an Independent last week in disgust) get a real reply from a Democratic Senator and only a few computer generated "Thanks for commenting" messages from the GOP Senators. I guess once they realized they I'm not a millionaire or billionaire (just a middle class, retired firefighter) that couldn't be bothered wasting their time with me ...

Edited by bad box
Alpinerunner and efdcapt115 like this

Heres a good related question. Now that we know where SOME of the Govt stands on helping. what happens if and when something happens again?? Do we? dont we? knowing that they wont take care of us??

Both parties involved suck. One only cares about big business, and the other wants to tax me to death to pay for people sitting on their ¤\€es. I lost faith in the government after they told us the air was safe in the days after the attacks. Vote them all out. Absolutely disgusting that we are coming up on ten years and still fighting for something that they all give lip service to.

Imagine if your efforts were actually focused on the ones that were incharge of the purse strings the last two years. Now that they are on their way out, you expect what? Tax Cuts for the rich? Too bad we do not educate ourselves on what the facts are. If you truly belive that $50,000.00 is rich and that they should pay an extra $3,000.00 a year, then you probably are a couch potato and are in someone's book club. We are fortunate to be able to get decent wages (for now)and where do you think that comes from, donations? The tax rates apply to everyone and the current party in charge takes the deffinition of "Milionare" and defines it as $250,000.00. That is most of small business owners (gross pay). And a real posibility for a Teacher and Police Officer with combined salleries. I am sure that they are willing to pay more. I too rember the chants of "Cops and Firefighters" that the citizens loved at the time. Who is it now that are taking direct hits at those same people? You name the party that leads the major metropolis. They are more concerened with what you eat and drink and wrapping their arms around you to take care of you than to make sure that there are fully trained and staffed emergency responders at your door step in a time of need. They are more concerned with harvesting your organs when you die using an ambulance to take you to the morgue then to the ER. Not only do they want your money when you are alive, now they want to take 35% when you die on money that has been taxed at every transaction instead of leaving it your family. Union supporters? Once all of private industry is finally forced out where are those union members going to work, going to get a paycheck as a government worker when the government has no revenue? Grant money is great, except when after giving time to manage your budgets, you failed once again, they lay you off anyway. I know that real men don't cry, but when you go from janitor to the Speaker of the House (by working for it) instead of living off of you and me for your entire life and handed a golden spoon, I will take the person who remembers where they came from any day of the week.

Rant on, it keeps the blood flowing...

Imagine if your efforts were actually focused on the ones that were incharge of the purse strings the last two years. Now that they are on their way out, you expect what? Tax Cuts for the rich? Too bad we do not educate ourselves on what the facts are. If you truly belive that $50,000.00 is rich and that they should pay an extra $3,000.00 a year, then you probably are a couch potato and are in someone's book club. We are fortunate to be able to get decent wages (for now)and where do you think that comes from, donations? The tax rates apply to everyone and the current party in charge takes the deffinition of "Milionare" and defines it as $250,000.00. That is most of small business owners (gross pay). And a real posibility for a Teacher and Police Officer with combined salleries. I am sure that they are willing to pay more. I too rember the chants of "Cops and Firefighters" that the citizens loved at the time. Who is it now that are taking direct hits at those same people? You name the party that leads the major metropolis. They are more concerened with what you eat and drink and wrapping their arms around you to take care of you than to make sure that there are fully trained and staffed emergency responders at your door step in a time of need. They are more concerned with harvesting your organs when you die using an ambulance to take you to the morgue then to the ER. Not only do they want your money when you are alive, now they want to take 35% when you die on money that has been taxed at every transaction instead of leaving it your family. Union supporters? Once all of private industry is finally forced out where are those union members going to work, going to get a paycheck as a government worker when the government has no revenue? Grant money is great, except when after giving time to manage your budgets, you failed once again, they lay you off anyway. I know that real men don't cry, but when you go from janitor to the Speaker of the House (by working for it) instead of living off of you and me for your entire life and handed a golden spoon, I will take the person who remembers where they came from any day of the week.

Rant on, it keeps the blood flowing...

The rich corporate executive loving Senate Republicans (if they truly were concerned with, "the ability of SMALL BUSINESSES to be able to create jobs...") would have stipulated a high end cut off to determine who requires a tax break by calculating what constitutes a SMALL BUSINESS (in terms of income). Democrats have stated that they agree with that concept as it theoretically would accomplish what the Republicans claim they want while at the same time continuing the tax break for the middle class. Clearly, the FACT is that Senate Republicans are most concerned with insuring that the ultra rich, multi-millionaires and billionaires of our country get tax breaks (in addition to all of the loopholes they already use to avoid paying a fair share). I have voted Republican for 34 years, but as a hardworking, taxpaying member of the middle class I'm fed up with the lack of representation that middle class Republican voters get from the very people who we vote into office. The GOP clearly does not concern themselves with middle class voters or sick and dying first responders.

SteveOFD and efdcapt115 like this

The rich corporate executive loving Senate Republicans (if they truly were concerned with, "the ability of SMALL BUSINESSES to be able to create jobs...") would have stipulated a high end cut off to determine who requires a tax break by calculating what constitutes a SMALL BUSINESS (in terms of income). Democrats have stated that they agree with that concept as it theoretically would accomplish what the Republicans claim they want while at the same time continuing the tax break for the middle class. Clearly, the FACT is that Senate Republicans are most concerned with insuring that the ultra rich, multi-millionaires and billionaires of our country get tax breaks (in addition to all of the loopholes they already use to avoid paying a fair share). I have voted Republican for 34 years, but as a hardworking, taxpaying member of the middle class I'm fed up with the lack of representation that middle class Republican voters get from the very people who we vote into office. The GOP clearly does not concern themselves with middle class voters or sick and dying first responders.

I got some e-mails out G. I read Carolyn Maloney might try to attach Zadroga to the tax bill in the House. Stay well Brother.

bad box likes this

I got some e-mails out G. I read Carolyn Maloney might try to attach Zadroga to the tax bill in the House. Stay well Brother.

Thanks Brother. Check out this story from the NY Daily News: My link. Here's the link to Florida's Republican Senator if you wish to give him your opinion: My link

Daily Show Clip

Yeah, the show is seriously left leaning, but he makes a good point. I've said it before and I'll say it again, how any cop, firefighter, or EMT can continue to vote republican is beyond me.

ny10570 great addition to this topic. Even if the bill gets passed later on or next year--remember who held us hostage becuse of a tax cut.

REMEMBER REMEMBER REMEMBER

Daily Show Clip

Yeah, the show is seriously left leaning, but he makes a good point. I've said it before and I'll say it again, how any cop, firefighter, or EMT can continue to vote republican is beyond me.

x2. Especially with the anti labor sentiment rampant in the ranks of their elected leadership.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Thank you Jon Stewart, you caught the GOP showing themselves as the hypocritical liars that they are. They can never refer to themselves as being patriotic. Their only concern is to maintain tax breaks for the millionaires and billionaires who support them.

My link

Edited by bad box

Just when you thought the GOP had reached an all time low in their disrespect for our sick and dying 9/11 First Responders Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) kicks it up a notch ... What a P.O.S. ...

My link

Sounds to me like this is being used a political pawn. Peoples lives are being used as counter leverage to support fiscal and legislative agendas.. typical of politicians but still very disgusting.

I sent E-mails sent to every Republican senator regarding passing this bill. As for Senator Collins, in the words of Elvis Duran's Morning show. "I wish Diarrhea upon you" Maybe it will help get your head out of your a**.

ready for this now that the Bush Tax is a done deal I understand today they are saying "hey its christmas time and we want to be with our families, its the christian thing to do."Mitch McConnell . hey pin head it is the Christian thing to do is pass this legislation so that first responders can enjoy the Holiday with out fear of their health!!! THATS THE THING TO DO.

efdcapt115 likes this

I know this site ranges the gambit for left and right but if you have not seen the middle section of The Daily Show last night you really should. He has a panel of FDNY, NYP, NYCDOT and a union worker/representative, all 9/11 responders and affected by this travesty discussing this disaster in the Senate.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-16-2010/9-11-first-responders-react-to-the-senate-filibuster

I'm beginning to think (and I hope I'm wrong) that the government views these hero's as "expendable"; that includes the career EMT's/FF's/PD along with the numerous volunteer fire fighters/EMT's/Auxiliary Police and/or civilians who also were called into help or volunteered on their own.

When election time comes around again, I hope that the American people remember those who abandoned our sick hero's in their time of need. They'll have the eyes of 2,819 people who died on 9-11 plus those who later died from illnesses from the site looking down upon them.

gamewell 45 lets be clear about this its not the Goverment--IT'S THE REBPUBLICANS holding out---every democrate is on board yet no REPUBLICANS have seen fit to sign on.

One more thing I read an interesting piece in the paper -where is AMERICIAS MAYOR?? and Gov Pataki of NY on this issue?? I hope their health is ok?? after all they spent a lot of time there talking about how much Americia owes these brave men.

Wait the mayor is out on speaking engangment and the Gov is raising money for a run at the Presidency and the Tea party.

Let all remember.

Edited by firecapt32

gamewell 45 lets be clear about this its not the Goverment--IT'S THE REBPUBLICANS holding out---every democrate is on board yet no REPUBLICANS have seen fit to sign on.

One more thing I read an interesting piece in the paper -where is AMERICIAS MAYOR?? and Gov Pataki of NY on this issue?? I hope their health is ok?? after all they spent a lot of time there talking about how much Americia owes these brave men.

Wait the mayor is out on speaking engangment and the Gov is raising money for a run at the Presidency and the Tea party.

Let all remember.

did you ever ask yourself why if the democrats controlled both houses of congress for the last few years did they wait until the last two weeks of a lame duck session to try to pass such an important bill and only after the republicans made it clear that they will not sign off on any legislation until the tax cuts were taken care of ?

Before all of you jump to conclusions about this post, just remember, I do not agree with the republicans voting this bill down, I think the 9/11 responders have waited too long and should have been helped a long time ago. I do however see the big picture and see that the democrats did not put this bill up because they care, this was politcally motivated from the start.

crimecop, they had a majority, but not a filibuster proof majority. Without a super majority the Republicans can lock it up in Filibuster until the bill dies or they get what they want.

Just to get the bill voted on without being buried in earmarks or attached to some completely unrelated legislation took a ridiculous amount of work.

crimecop, they had a majority, but not a filibuster proof majority. Without a super majority the Republicans can lock it up in Filibuster until the bill dies or they get what they want.

Just to get the bill voted on without being buried in earmarks or attached to some completely unrelated legislation took a ridiculous amount of work.

I will grant you that there was no filibuster proof majority in Congress but the question still begs in my mind as to why they waited so long and why they did it when they KNEW it would fail.

When the bill failed in the house in July, it failed 255 to 159 with 12 reps voting yes and 4 dems voting no and also with 18 representatives that failed to vote. The dems brought this bill up as a suspension bill which needed a 2/3 majority but if they had brought it up with normal house procedures then it would have only needed a majority and would have passedm So in essence the dems set it up for failure in july also.

It seems to me that before the November elections, the democrats didn't feel the need to negotiate because they were in the majority and felt that passage was certain. If there had been negotiations long ago then this situation would not have happened.

Again let me say that I whole heartedly support this bill as do all of you, it is a travesty that this didn't pass when it should have.

I just read a report that said that as of late this afternoon there has been some dealing and that the fund amount has been dropped from 7.4 billion to 6.2 billion and now seems to be on track to pass right after congress votes on the STAR treaty.

I hope and pray that the bill passes and our frineds, families and colleagues get the help that they need and most certainly deserve.

Let all remember.

Your correct; I should have been more precise; its really a part of the government, the Republican Senators, who are holding out.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/12/21/coburn-to-block-911-responders-bill/

Oklahoma Republican Sen. Tom Coburn will not allow a proposal that would cover health-care costs for Ground Zero workers to go through the Senate before Christmas, a Coburn aide told Washington Wire this morning.

Several Republican senators have expressed concerns over the spending package that would provide $6.2 billion to those who fell ill from cleaning up the wreckage after Sept. 11, 2001. The bill’s sponsors, New York Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, say they have the votes to get it passed, but opponents can put up procedural hurdles.

The outlay would be covered by a 2% fee on imports and services from companies that are not members of the Agreement on Government Procurement, a treaty of the World Trade Organization. Congress would also continue a fee on travelers to the U.S. and a charge on outsourcing companies that have most of their employees on visas to work in America.

Mr. Coburn wants the package to be funded through spending cuts, the aide said. He and others in his party have questioned whether the money would overlap with workers’ compensation and other aid provided to Sept. 11 first responders. Mr. Coburn told Politico he wants the measure to work its way through committee rather than being fast-tracked, which would make it tough for senators to finish their work in the next few days.

The Bill looks like it will pass sometime today or early tomorrow. Thank goodness.

Word on the news is it just passed.

Once the politicians finish congratulating themselves, now we'll see what the bill can do for those who gave some, and those that gave all.

This is a true Christmas Miracle this bill should never have taken this long to get this passed