Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FDNY 10-75

A few new rigs for the FDNY

45 posts in this topic

Nice Shots! What does the mobile training truck function as?

there are two mobile training uits, as far as I know. One in staten island and one in queens. They allow co's to stay in the districts and still do hands-on training, instead of being OOS for many hrs going to "the rock". Both were funded by their respective Borough President budgets.With so many co's OOS daily for educational day;training at rock; company medicals;special multi-unit drills, the hope is to keep co's skill levels up, while staying IS for fire duty. With the upcoming brownouts of 20 companies (or worse) at night, these units are a help.

Scottyk107 and x635 like this

AWESOME SHOTS, Eli!!!! Thank you for sharing them here!!!

post-11-0-93053400-1292530685.jpg

51 Truck in the shops, what a surprise. :rolleyes:

How about L44? Ya think they'd like they're rig back one of these days. They've had a dog-s%#t spare EVERY time I've been detailed there. It'd be nice if the job had a decent rig for those guys, seeing as they've had their regular rig for several months.

How about L44? Ya think they'd like they're rig back one of these days. They've had a dog-s%#t spare EVERY time I've been detailed there. It'd be nice if the job had a decent rig for those guys, seeing as they've had their regular rig for several months.

Atleast they all have enclosed cabs now which except for the CO meter going off is nicer in this weather.

Must be something with those 95 footers. I can say with some certainty that 51's rig has been in the shops more than it's been in service.

there are two mobile training uits, as far as I know. One in staten island and one in queens. They allow co's to stay in the districts and still do hands-on training, instead of being OOS for many hrs going to "the rock". Both were funded by their respective Borough President budgets.With so many co's OOS daily for educational day;training at rock; company medicals;special multi-unit drills, the hope is to keep co's skill levels up, while staying IS for fire duty. With the upcoming brownouts of 20 companies (or worse) at night, these units are a help.

Makes sense with a department that big to have the training come to the companies, and not the other way around. Thanks

DSC_3656.jpg

Ex-SQ800

Nice photos. Do you know what the status of this former squad 800 Rescue Pumper is? Also is there a different rig that now carries that designation?

Edited by bad box

Nice photos. Do you know what the status of this former squad 800 Rescue Pumper is? Also is there a different rig that now carries that designation?

it's a Squad Spare. A rig that is not in regular service, but has a designation number (such as a 500 Engine or a 700 Truck) is a reserve unit, meaning that it's ready to use. Those rigs have a full compliment of equipment. I don't know if there is still an 800 numbered spare, but I assume there is. However, I don't believe it's a spare, it would be a reserve. Spares have no # designation, beyond a shops I.D. number. To the best of my knowledge, spares used for Squads are regular engines that have been modified in house by the shops. That'll be the way until the current Squad assigned rigs are replaced.

it's a Squad Spare. A rig that is not in regular service, but has a designation number (such as a 500 Engine or a 700 Truck) is a reserve unit, meaning that it's ready to use. Those rigs have a full compliment of equipment. I don't know if there is still an 800 numbered spare, but I assume there is. However, I don't believe it's a spare, it would be a reserve. Spares have no # designation, beyond a shops I.D. number. To the best of my knowledge, spares used for Squads are regular engines that have been modified in house by the shops. That'll be the way until the current Squad assigned rigs are replaced.

When a front line piece goes OOS, do they move to a spare rig or a reserve rig?

If I'm not mistaken, front-line apparatus are replaced by "spare" apparatus and the company has to move their equipment from the front-line unit to the spare in order to put it in service.

The "reserve" apparatus are fully equipped units spread out across NYC and immediately ready for service if needed. I'd imagine this would be stuff like having multiple multi-alarm fires working and calling in off-duty personnel to provide additional coverage in case of more incidents and maybe even the need to have dedicated staffed fire apparatus for an event.

These are great pictures... the crew cab of the new ladders look like they are bigger than most apartments in manhattan !!

If I'm not mistaken, front-line apparatus are replaced by "spare" apparatus and the company has to move their equipment from the front-line unit to the spare in order to put it in service.

The "reserve" apparatus are fully equipped units spread out across NYC and immediately ready for service if needed. I'd imagine this would be stuff like having multiple multi-alarm fires working and calling in off-duty personnel to provide additional coverage in case of more incidents and maybe even the need to have dedicated staffed fire apparatus for an event.

This is mostly correct. When a regular piece of apparatus goes O.O.S., the company strips their rig of EVERYTHING and drives it too the shops. They swap rigs there, for a completely empty spare and head back to quarters.

The reserve rigs are used for special details, such as extra fire protection at major (read: unusual) events. When a movie shoot uses pyrotechnics, they might put a dedicated engine there, a 500 series engine. The reserve will also be used by a company who has lost an active member. They will use a spare while their rig is being prepared for a funeral procession. As for a call back, they're not REALLY set-up in that capacity and they don't really need to be. At any given time there are 200 engines and 150 trucks in service, a smattering of reserves doesn't really make a difference. Should, god forbid, we have another large scale terrorist attack, that might change. Especially since the current administration sees fit to take more front line companies out of service.

Anyway, back to the spares, ometimes the rigs are stored outside and this means that all of the tools are in a locked trunk, or several trunks. A little time would be needed to make them ready.

When a front-line piece has to go to the shops (which is only after the emergency crew/dept mechanics determine they can't fix the problem in the field) the company picks up a spare rig . The reserve units are stored in specific quarters throughout the city, and are normally used only for special situations such as standbys for movie shoots; partial manpower recalls for unusual events/fires; or another massive emergency i.e. 9/11/01. All the tools/fittings to outfit those rigs are kept locked in those qtrs in a "job box"to be opened only if the rig is placed IS. There are times when all the spares in the city are in use, and then the reserve units can be utilized as spares. There are usually more rigs OOS at "the shops" than most large depts have in their fleet. FDNY is lucky to have two dept mechanics on duty 24/7 in rigs that respond city-wide; also there is a "tire truck" during the day that responds to flat tires; and a radio mechanic that responds to calls in the fireld for radio and MDT (mobile data terminal) and siren problems. With the cutbacks coming, these "luxuries" that smaller depts don't have may disappear from FDNY as well.

What is the story behind the Decon Pod. I knew about the decon show units but what equipment does this Pod carry and how many of them are there?