Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ems-buff

Mamaroneck (Village)- Suspicious Device - News Post

40 posts in this topic

Truer words have never been spoken Chief!

Truer words have never been spoken Chief!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. :huh:

To directly answer one of your questions, there have been HUNDREDS of bombings worldwide that have been preceded by a note or warning. However, I must say that most (>99%) of the "bomb threats" (there are many different types) are false but must be taken on face value. That is not to say that common sense does not play a role but let’s face it, it's about liability. Do you want to be the manager of the Wal-Mart that does have a device detonate after a threat after you do NOTHING? Do you want to be the superintendant of the school system after a written threat and then students get killed after you do NOTHING? We live in a society of litigation and until that changes neither will manager's response to these types of "threats". Personally, do I believe that a massive response is needed in every situation.....? No. But, it is the world we live in.

As to the issue of the "over-reaction" and lack of "common sense" as some have referred to this response as.... I would say your responses are arrogant and complacent. The responders found what looked like an improvised explosive device and in my opinion, and those of us who live in a world where people do want to kill us, an appropriate response. There have been, in my personal knowledge, A LOT of "plots" that have been thwarted by the average citizens. The fact of the matter is "see something, say something" works and those of you, especially in this community, who recommend otherwise, in my opinion, need more training. In case any of you forgot, terrorists (home-grown, Al-Qaeda, or otherwise) have and will continue to try to kill us.

Better to shut down I-95 for an hour than have people die. That is the reality unless you were one of those stuck in traffic, unless, it was an actual device and one of your loved-ones were killed.

Edited by khas143

Do you want to be the manager of the Wal-Mart that does have a device detonate after a threat after you do NOTHING? Do you want to be the superintendant of the school system after a written threat and then students get killed after you do NOTHING? We live in a society of litigation and until that changes neither will manager's response to these types of "threats".

Nor would I want to be the police chief whom signs off that the area is safe. What level of detection is minimally adequate to clear a school or Walmart if you think the device may have been set by a pro? Canine search? Trained officers? We're all just passing the buck until it arrives at someone's desk who will assume the liability. For us it's the state police bomb unit, in more metro areas, and perhaps the suburban NYC area, there are more of these units and training. I do know that the number of school threats forced a change in the system as our state is "resource poor" in this area.

While I will accept your information at face value on the notes/warnings pre-detonation, how many were able to be stopped or evacuations caused that led to saved lives? I'm not advocating ignoring threats, merely pointing out that for every heightened level of security, there is a marginal win for those who seek to force us to change by the use of fear.

Nor would I want to be the police chief whom signs off that the area is safe. What level of detection is minimally adequate to clear a school or Wal-Mart if you think the device may have been set by a pro? Canine search? Trained officers? We're all just passing the buck until it arrives at someone's desk who will assume the liability. For us it's the state police bomb unit, in more metro areas, and perhaps the suburban NYC area, there are more of these units and training. I do know that the number of school threats forced a change in the system as our state is "resource poor" in this area.

While I will accept your information at face value on the notes/warnings pre-detonation, how many were able to be stopped or evacuations caused that led to saved lives? I'm not advocating ignoring threats, merely pointing out that for every heightened level of security, there is a marginal win for those who seek to force us to change by the use of fear.

While not from the USA this will answer your questions.... In 1993 the IRA phoned the British Police (lets keep it simple) prior to detonating this large vehicle borne improvised explosive device. The only person killed was a reporter that wanted to get a "closer look". The IRA phoned-in the bomb and people evacuated. Needless to say the device detonated and thanks to the IRA's "heads-up" THOUSANDS of lives were NOT lost.

1993: IRA bomb devastates City of London

A massive bomb has ripped through the heart of the City of London, killing one and injuring more than 40.

The explosion shook buildings and shattered hundreds of windows, sending glass showering down into the streets below. A mediaeval church, St Ethelburga's, collapsed; another church and Liverpool Street underground station were also wrecked.

The cost of repairing the damage has been estimated at more than £1bn.

So I ask you this question... How many lives are an acceptable loss for the .001% chance that the device is real and will detonate. Is it possible that the "terrorists" will warn us... YES... Is it possible that they won't? .... Yes... All I ask is that if you want to make that determination, you deal with the suspicious package. If you do, feel free to kick it and you can be the next first responder on YouTube. It's your decision. BE SAFE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

I can think of one such incident in WESTCHESTER County. It predates my career but there was a threat in the headquarters of a Fortune 500 type company and the PD evacuated the building just before the device detonated. Some members of this forum probably remember that and can elaborate further.

So I ask you this question... How many lives are an acceptable loss for the .001% chance that the device is real and will detonate. Is it possible that the "terrorists" will warn us... YES... Is it possible that they won't? .... Yes... All I ask is that if you want to make that determination, you deal with the suspicious package. If you do, feel free to kick it and you can be the next first responder on YouTube. It's your decision. BE SAFE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

Again, good info. As I noted I'd not recommend ignoring threats, but I have to say I'm torn between watching our country let these bastards win the easy victory, by forcing us to change to the point that our citizens are protesting each other. We're federally funding huge dollar amounts to combat a very small percentage of threat compared to the number of persons affected by common crime and fires, yet we continue to see fire and police departments slashed to less than bare bones levels. It is a fine balancing act to adequately protect ourselves from the threat of terrorists, and maintain our open society where utilizing mass transit or attending prolific events is not so complicated that we'd rather stay home.

As for the IRA, they learned to warn people as in their earlier years they lost huge amounts of support when so many innocents died. This in no way changes their acts as terrorism, but somewhat puts them on a different level than Al Qaeda, et als. The radicals we fear today are much less likely to share common Christan values such as not taking the lives of children.

JM15 likes this

Wait, I didn't read that the 'device' in question said explosive on it. Are you kidding me? Apparently our PD's are not required to know the US DOT Placard system and the ICC labels. Had they known this they could tell if something is actually explosive or a prop.

Edited by jcnyc

Apparently our PD's are not required to know the US DOT Placard system and the ICC labels.

PO & EMS are required by Federal &/or State Law (OSHA/PESH, Commercial/private vs. Municipal) to have Hazmat Awarness which they learn that, also required to have annual refreshers. FF's have to have Operations level.

Also don't forget the Union Carbide Bombing in the early 80's in Valhalla right across the street from DES. I believe (if memory serves me correctly) it was the PLO (or similar group)and they called and said it will detonate at 2300hrs and indeed it did! Ask Hudson144 about that one! A night he'll never forget!