Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MRK303

Skiers fall from chairlift at Maine resort - Over 100+ stranded

5 posts in this topic

Rescues in progress...

"Several people were injured Tuesday when a gust of wind sent skiers tumbling off a chairlift at a ski resort in Sugarloaf, Maine.

CNN Newsource employee Rob Atkinson was among about 100 skiers stranded on the chairlift after the accident. At least three people were injured, he said."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/28/skiers-fall-from-chairlift-at-maine-resort/?hpt=T2

Edited by MRK303

It was later reported that the cable derailed off the ski lift and several chairs on that cable came down. Patrons were being evacuated off the chairs at last report and there were several injuries. NECN.com has up to date information.

s c a r y. most dreadful thing a skier could imagine... though i'm not sure which could be worse, being stranded dangling 40-50' in the air, or coming crashing down to the ground

s c a r y. most dreadful thing a skier could imagine... though i'm not sure which could be worse, being stranded dangling 40-50' in the air, or coming crashing down to the ground

I think the crashing part would be worse.....

Many of the stranded skiers went on to ski the rest of the day after being rescued. Definitely a difficult incident to manage, but they do routinely drill on these rescue scenario, albeit without snow, thus everything must take a little longer.