Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Shouldn't Drivers Ed Be Mandatory?

12 posts in this topic

Of all the practical skills in High School that can be applied in life, I think that Drivers Ed should be a mandatory class.

Not just driving around in a stupid car, but a whole class. Including how to jump start a car, change a tire, check the oil, etc. It's amazing to me how many kids don't know this stuff nowadays.

I disagree, not everyone drives...

At least in NY state, the number on non drivers is a small % I think. There are many non-vehicle owners that drive OTHER folk' cars- taxi drivers, etc. I took drivers ed and I still use the stuff I learned in that class as I make driving decisions today. 25 years driving EMS and the occasional tower ladder with barely a tap to my name. (oops big mistake I know!)

I hate the idea of MORE spending ( that is what you ask for when you say "someone should do something...), but in this case, I bet it would pay off in terms of fewer crashes, less loss of life, less money wasted on the cost of carnage. We do fire prevention classes. Consider this a crash prevention class. No better time than in High School. The only folks that drive worse then them are us.

Bill

Including how to jump start a car, change a tire, check the oil, etc.

"" Like dude, ??? Mom and Dad have people for that !! ""

All joking aside, I agree with you. There are allot on common sense stuff, that most of the younger generations are lacking... I can't tell you how many young guys I have hired that don't know how to hold and use a hammer... BUT, they are really good at electronics.

how to jump start a car, change a tire, check the oil, etc. It's amazing to me how many kids don't know this stuff nowadays.

In parts of europe where driving is a privaledge (like we like to claim here). the road test is 2-3 hours long. It includes proving you can do the above and instead of the tax payer paying, the student who wants the license pays for the classes.

You want to drive, you pay. Insurance companies give a big discount for having this so it actiually pays to do it.

helicopper likes this

I agree to an extent, and yea not everyone drives but not everyone does much of what they taught in high school.

I always thought that every dealership or dealer should give the buyer the "how to" on the vehicle they purchased such as changing tires, charging batteries, fluids, wipers, etc. (the basics). Some new vehicles dont even have the bettery under the hood lol.

As a recent graduate of a NYS driver's ed program, I would say that driver's ed in its current form is a giant waste of time. Students who have an interest in becoming good drivers will already know 90% of what is taught, while those who just want to be able to drive because its convenient or cool won't absorb the information. And before we get to changing tires and fluid checks, we need to teach people how to drive, and not just in everyday situations. Many countries in Europe teach things like skid recovery and require it to be demonstrated on the road test. I don't really care if the drivers around me know how to change a flat tire. What I do care about is whether they know how to control their car and safely bring it to a stop when a blowout happens.

As for teaching driver's ed in schools, I don't really feel as though it should be provided. If you want to drive, you can pay for it (i.e., make it mandatory before your road test). I would like to see CPR and other emergency skills taught in school.

It's a pity they can't just teach common sense instead.

That would hurt emergency service job security

I disagree EVOC needs to be mandatory!

EVOC for all civilian drivers?