Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest fdnyladder10

FDNY E45 TL58 firehouse question

14 posts in this topic

Do the members in E45 share the kitchen and facilities with TL58, or are they both treated as different companies in different firehouses. Are the firehouses seperate from each other with no interconnecting walkthrough??

Cheers in advance

Jarrod

x635 likes this

They are connected by walking through the housewatch, a walkway at the rear of the apparatus floors and a shared walkway to the kitchen. Upstairs has a pass-through between the old and the new as well. It is a single firehouse with an old side and a new side. It's a nice house, great companies, good guys.

There are a couple of other houses like this as well. 73 & 42 were at one time two separate houses built side to side, but they are now configured as one. 64 & 47 are similar except they are separated by a parking lot. At some point a kitchen was constructed in the rear that connects the two. However, they still have two housewatch offices and each company must man the watch and turn out their respective company from the appropriate side.

Edited by M' Ave
x635 likes this

They are connected by walking through the housewatch, a walkway at the rear of the apparatus floors and a shared walkway to the kitchen. Upstairs has a pass-through between the old and the new as well. It is a single firehouse with an old side and a new side. It's a nice house, great companies, good guys.

There are a couple of other houses like this as well. 73 & 42 were at one time two separate houses built side to side, but they are now configured as one. 64 & 47 are similar except they are separated by a parking lot. At some point a kitchen was constructed in the rear that connects the two. However, they still have two housewatch offices and each company must man the watch and turn out their respective company from the appropriate side.

Thanks Ave M, what year was the new house built, was it late 70's or eraly 80/mid 80's??

Jarrod

Thanks Ave M, what year was the new house built, was it late 70's or eraly 80/mid 80's??

Jarrod

It's a mid 80's building. Don't know the exact year.

Do the members in E45 share the kitchen and facilities with TL58, or are they both treated as different companies in different firehouses. Are the firehouses seperate from each other with no interconnecting walkthrough??

Cheers in advance

Jarrod

Since the time they built the house next to E45 for L58 (which was L27-2) and B18 they had separate kitchens for cooking and eating. What they did was on alternating months one company cooked andthe other one did the housewatch which was shared ashared area. There was one pass thru at the housewatch and one in the back of the apparatus floor outside the kitchens. About 1990 they made an opening in the wall between the two kitchens and made the truck side the kitchen and the engine side the eating area. There are still separate offices, bunk rooms and locker rooms. Before the truck side was constructed the battalion was on the engine side.

It's a mid 80's building. Don't know the exact year.

May 15th, 1974 was when 58 Truck and the 1-8 Batt. moved into their current quarters.

What exactly is housewatch?

What exactly is housewatch?

Housewatch is the small office located at the front of the firehouse on the first floor, usually to the right or left of the apparatus floor, or sometimes right in between the two doors. It is where the calls come into on the computers, and are acknowledged. It is to be staffed 24/7 when companies are in quarters, and each fireman takes a 3 hour watch. The Housewatchman turns out the companies when a run comes in, records all the runs in the company journal, answers the department phone, and answers the front door. He's also supposed to record in the journal any visitor who comes into the firehouse.

In Boston, the Housewatch is called the "Patrol" or "Patrol Desk".

27east likes this

There are a bunch of double houses that were built divided and have since had openings made.

81/46 and 90/41 come to mind.

L-25/Div 3 (E-74 before 1956)

There are a bunch of double houses that were built divided and have since had openings made.

81/46 and 90/41 come to mind.

Add 73/42 to that list. Also, 64/47. They have two separate quarters about 25' apart. They share a kitchen, but that's about it. Two separate housewatches.

Add 73/42 to that list. Also, 64/47. They have two separate quarters about 25' apart. They share a kitchen, but that's about it. Two separate housewatches.

E88/L38 in Da Bronx ,also had divided qtrs that were then joined by a door in the rear and at housewatch. I remember when I first covered there, the companies still had separate kitchens/sitting rooms. Each company cooked every other month for "the house". I was working in the truck (L38); "chow's on " was called; I got my plate in E88's kitchen (it was their month to cook) and sat down. The senior man in the truck (my chauffer for the tour) whispered in my ear- no Loo (Lieutenant), your're in the truck- we eat "on our side"! It was just tradition- the two companies got along great w/ each other, but they ate separately. Hey M'Ave- is it still that way?

Many great memories- man, do I miss it!