Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MP134

Possible changes to Tarrytown FD?

19 posts in this topic

Title of article: "Does Tarrytown Need a Fire Commissioner?"

My link

Interesting.

Maybe a better title/position be "Administrator".

I know someone who would be perfect for that spot.

Interesting.

Maybe a better title/position be "Administrator".

I know someone who would be perfect for that spot.

A few years back the TFD Fire Chief tried to bring Training and other OSHA mandaes to the Tarrytown Village Board and they asked for him to resign. The Fire Chief is the go between the FD & the Village. What makes anyone think that addinig a commissioner would improve this?

A few years back the TFD Fire Chief tried to bring Training and other OSHA mandaes to the Tarrytown Village Board and they asked for him to resign. The Fire Chief is the go between the FD & the Village. What makes anyone think that addinig a commissioner would improve this?

Maybe someone that could fight the board on all the nonsense they create, especially as of late, and let the Fire Chief be a Fire Chief, and not spend a majority of his time having to fight with the Village Board.

I really don't know what the "Board Of Wardens" is....maybe someone could explain?

Tarrytown FD is a department rich in pride and tradition. However, they've also been rich in conterversy-especially when the Village Board is concerned. If it's not one thing with Tarrytown FD, it's something else, and I'm starting to see where the root of the problem is. Tarrytown is slowly evolving from a working man's town that it once was- it's now a wealthy Westchester village. In order for the department to evolve, somebody needs to step in and sort through everything. Maybe a consultant would help identify issues and how to resolve them. But the FD hired a apparatus architect-consultant to come up with specs for an engine, and presented their results...and the Village Board did what they wanted anyways and took it upon themselves to decide what was and wasn't needed for the new engine.

Someone needs to do something, or the Village Board is going to find itself without a FD,PD, or DPW.

Maybe someone that could fight the board on all the nonsense they create, especially as of late, and let the Fire Chief be a Fire Chief, and not spend a majority of his time having to fight with the Village Board.

A fire commissioner hired by the board will not last long if he fights the board.

firefighter36 likes this

Title of article: "Does Tarrytown Need a Fire Commissioner?"

My link

Maybe there should be a Commissioner for the Village Manager position.

Maybe Mike Blau the village adm. is causing problems with his undermining and lies.All the former fire depts were he use to be adm. also had problems.

FD7807 likes this

It is up to the membership and the Chief's to fix the problems, if they want to. If the Dept was denied funding for training prior to the tragedy, then they should be raising hell. If they never asked for the training, then shame on them. If the Dept and the Chief's can't/will not fix the problem (lack of training) then the Village should look to remove the leadership and start over.

Maybe Mike Blau has been stuck in communities where the FD's rely on tradition and pride instead of training, and the elected officials cow tow to the FD's.

Bnechis likes this

It is up to the membership and the Chief's to fix the problems, if they want to. If the Dept was denied funding for training prior to the tragedy, then they should be raising hell. If they never asked for the training, then shame on them. If the Dept and the Chief's can't/will not fix the problem (lack of training) then the Village should look to remove the leadership and start over.

Maybe Mike Blau has been stuck in communities where the FD's rely on tradition and pride instead of training, and the elected officials cow tow to the FD's.

This is an overly simple assessment of the problem. YES, the membership and the officers (not just the chief's) have a responsibility to provide for training but the budget is controlled by the village board. It seems that a past chief did try to fight for funding for training but the village sought to have him ousted.

Another big problem is that the chief changes every two years so there is no consistency and no development of a rapport with the village board, a board that may change every few years as well. Jon Politis used to describe this problem in EMS; he called it long-term problems and short-term leaders. Everybody is going to have different priorities and with no vision and long-range planning/budgeting it is very difficult to truly effect change.

"the chief changes every two years" not true in Tarrytown chiefs are on a one year term-- one year as second asst chief---one year as first asst chief and one year as chief. So the Chief of the Department changes every year. so it might be along range problems with short term "leaders"

If the Dept has a good set of SOG's, policies and procedures the chief is guided by those, as well as new policies developed during his term. The excuse that the chief turns over every year or 2 years does not hold water since other volunteer organizations can get things done.

hmmm a good set of sog's and policies and procedures what a great concept!! sounds like something all departments should have dosent it?? hey while we are at it how about qualifications to hold office??

Still here pushing for stricter educational requirements Firecapt. Wouldn't hurt to make sure other NFPA standards are adhered to as well... AEDs in EVERY SINGLE FIRE HOUSE AND APPARATUS. But hey, njust my humble opinion. Perhaps it is to many short term leaders with long term goals that conflict with other short term leaders. Agendas... everyones got a way to screw the other over.

Quote from a Tarrytown Patch Article:

http://tarrytown.patch.com/articles/anger-disgust-blame#c

Some speaking at yesterday's meeting said they had been warning the village that a disaster of this kind was coming, and that they had been ignored.

Former chief of the Tarrytown Fire Department, and a career rescuer in New York City, James Lennox, was one of those who reluctantly spoke during yesterday's meeting.

"Tonight, I was just going to see what happened, but you gave me the courage to come up here," Lennox said. "You had a chance to fix this problem and you didn't."

In 2005, when Lennox was one of the chiefs of the department, he wrote a letter to the Board of Trustees asking for funds to put the department through confined-space training (see attached letter). Lennox said he was ridiculed in the department and asked to resign by the board at the time, which included current mayor Drew Fixell. Lennox said he was criticized because the training would cost too much and because of the perception that he was trying to turn the department professional.

"You asked me to sign a letter of resignation and I refused to do it," Lennox said to Fixell.

Lennox has since moved to Montrose, but watched the Labor Day tragedy unfold on television. In his 2005 letter written to trustees, his first goal cited was to bring the Tarrytown Fire Department up to OSHA standards. He specifically called out confined space and hazardous material training as priorities.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Wednesday, January 12, 2005The following our My 11 Goals for the fiscal year 2005-2006 For the Tarrytown Fire Department:

(1) Training: To bring the department up to the OSHA standard CFR 29. 1910.156 standards for

fire brigades. Continue up dating and configuring our training records. I would also like to start

bring the department up to the NFPA standards for firefighting, along with specialty training in

the area of but not limited to: Trench Rescue, Confined space, Hazardous Material

Technicians, which includes Weapon of mass destruction and training for High angle Rescue.

I would like to implement train the trainers programs as to become self sufficient as a

department with on staff trainers. With the recent lost of our training Center I will be looking

into different area to supplement this lost. $45,000.00

(2) Health: Implement a medical evaluation program as mandated by OSHA along with

mandatory fit tests, respirator infection control program along with Blood Bourne pathogen

protection for our firefighters (mandatory as per OSHA) $20,000.00

(3) Fitness: Number one killer of firefighters is heart attack. Would like to establish a wellness

center to help maintain the health of our firefighter along with the possibility of attracting more

firefighters. Possible an addition to the Main Street fire house to house classrooms and a

fitness center. $300,000.00

(4) Safety: Put in place a decontamination procedure which would include the installation of a

Laundry washing machine to decontaminate our contaminated gear. Bring all the departments

Personnel Protective gear up to NFPA standards. $38,000.00

(5) Equipment: Start to acquire equipment to support the proper implementation of a trench

rescue team, a confined space rescue team, a hazardous material rescue team which would

also include Weapons of Mass destruction training and High angle rescue team. $50,000.00

(6) Building: Expand our present accommodations due to the limited storage area and working

area that we have. We are bursting at the seams now and we are not were we should be as

far as equipment, training and safety for our firefighters. (included in the fitness)

(7) Replacement: The replacement of old and out dated equipment. $45,000.00

(8) Computer Assisted Dispatch: To assist us in the safe and efficient dispatch of our firefighter, to

help and aid in the notification of potential hazards before arriving on the scene, to be pro

active. Along with module to be added to our present computer as to implement a work order

module and an inventory module in order to keep track of, and maintain our safety equipment.

$20,000.00

(9) Work force: would like to increase our work force by investigating means of enticing more

people of this community to join our department. $5000.00

(10) Fire Prevention: would like to put in place a year round program, Firefighters trained in fire

prevention, to be able to go out into the community and do fire inspection which would help in

the pre-plan of fire tactic used in a particular occupancy. Also have a program that would go

out to the schools, senior center and the general public. We have a wonderful opportunity to

inform the public ever 3rd Friday. $25,000.00

(11) Water Front Fire and Rescue Protection: To be included in the waterfront revitalization and to

enhance the storage of our Marine Fire and Rescue unit.

Sincerely,

James G. Lennox

hmmm a good set of sog's and policies and procedures what a great concept!! sounds like something all departments should have dosent it?? hey while we are at it how about qualifications to hold office??

Are you hinting that some FD's don't meet these criteria? ;)

Steve what I am saying is--there are many talanted well trained firefighters in every department but some department not all lack qualifications.

In the emergency medical field--EMT's ect you need to take a state exam or your not an emt period. You also have to renew your certification with a test or CME's.

In the fire service AHJ is the ruling body--example a firefighter takes firefighter one---does not complete the course or fails the tests, what happened to him?? simple answer nothing He goes back to the department and is still concidered a firefighter for that department. Unles that department had a qualification in their that said you must pass FF1 or you will be dismissed from intreior firefighting. how many department have that?? I do not know.

Second example firefighter passes FF1--the Department has no other certification qualification that have to be met-- that firefighter can be elected as a line officer and move up the ranks and become Chief of Department with only FF1 on their resume. Is that good for the fire service or the citizens of the communnity?

We have to take a serious look at the fire service--forget the past look to the future. Develop good well trained firefighters, they in turn will make good well trained Fire Officers, which hopefully will make good Fire Chiefs.But with out looking to the future we are doomed to stay in the past

Sorry for the rant but this is serious business. Once again I will say that all departments have some well trained firefighters that are looking to the future.

FireCapt- I agree with you on alot of what you stated in your most recent post. BUT... if this concept of a Fire Commissioner becomes a reality and the wardens are gone, does that make the Fire Commissioner and Chiefs more accountable? I'm a BIG FAN of accountability, something happens you as a leader need to step up. Not run off, hide and shirk responsibility and the knowledge you had that there was a possibility things would blow up in your face. Again... education- stricter standards should be implemented, if people (non fire fighters/emt/medics) knew at times how little their Fire Dept. is trained or how ill equipped they are to handle the SIMPLEST emergency ( Like posts I wrote in a different forum re: AEDS and CPR) ex: a fellow fire fighter dropping on scene with a sudden cardiac arrest- doesn't matter how many active EMTs are around in your FD- if you don't have the equipment with you that they NEED- doesn't do very much good. Much like having a hydrant system set up that is broken or not working wen working a MAJOR fire. So I think the people in the village (any village) would benefit to know that there is a mature, educated, responsible person in charge of seeing to it that all FFs are properly trained and that all records are up to date. So if it means spending a little more in these tough economic times so be it. I'dpay the extra $$ if it means people will be safe, educated and trained and that ONE person is held responsible and solely accountable for it all.

Edited by Faded Soul

I have never said that the Department needs Fire Commissioner. I do not believe one is needed. All you are saying is very true all I am saying is that if the firefighters--line officers and then chiefs are well informed--many decisions can be made to rectify--any current misunderstandings. A Firefighter or Officer that goes through Intro to Fire officer/Fire Officer one/building constructon and any other current updated courses, gets the latest information. A Chief can make a case to the goverining body of the fire department concerning AEDS/ CPR for the department.or for any other things they deem necessary. Departments need to get their houses in order first. Establish a way to get the classes-how to get the funding. Make basic firefighter 1 a mandate, follow it with safety and survival fast ff2 basic tech rescue. all theses things are out there. If not at the County then the State Academy,or the National Academy. You cant put the horse before the cart, build a good foundation and you will have a building that will last.Build good educated firefighters and you will have good officers and good Chiefs

That mature-educated-responsible person you refer to should be the Fire Chief.

firecapt, I know exactly what you are saying, I was not trying to knock anyone, and YES I AGREE with you 1000%. I know that our training standards, and officer qualifications are desperately lacking. I am working on this problem right now at my Co. I will talk to you this upcoming Sat. AM. Steve