Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Why Don't We See More Ambulances Module Remounted?

14 posts in this topic

It seems like many EMS agencies take delivery of brand new ambulances every couple of years. Almost always, the ambulance and module are brand new.

Many EMS agencies keep their modules in great condition, and their lifespan typically outlasts the chasis. However, when it comes time to buy, they buy an entirely new ambulance with almost the same exact module. They could save thousands of dollars just by remounting onto a new chasis. If I'm not mistaken, there are several agencies in Westchester that used to do this.

I've heard the argument that they won't have an ambulance in service, but truth is a remount can be done really quickly in most instances. And rental/loaner ambulances are always available.

I don't know if resale value factors in either way.

I can't speak for these departments, but if I were to guess, the need to have all new, new technology and a complete vehicle warranty. What does a remount cost? Braun used to do a bunch (might be dating myself here) as well as Frazer Bilt.

It seems like many EMS agencies take delivery of brand new ambulances every couple of years. Almost always, the ambulance and module are brand new.

Many EMS agencies keep their modules in great condition, and their lifespan typically outlasts the chasis. However, when it comes time to buy, they buy an entirely new ambulance with almost the same exact module. They could save thousands of dollars just by remounting onto a new chasis. If I'm not mistaken, there are several agencies in Westchester that used to do this.

I've heard the argument that they won't have an ambulance in service, but truth is a remount can be done really quickly in most instances. And rental/loaner ambulances are always available.

I don't know if resale value factors in either way.

I don't think there's a simple explanation that would fully answer your question. I'm sure there are various factors that would influence the decision to replace or remount.

Some services run their units into the ground and remounting of the box, just isn't the best route.

Some services may not have the financial limitations to force them to consider other options.

Changes in equipment carried, new technology or other factors probably influence the decision at times.

Depending on how old and what shape the unit is in, maybe when you factor in the revenue from selling the old unit, it offsets enough of the "savings" from a remount that they think, why not just buy new?

There could also be the chance that some service may be ignorant to the potential viability of doing a remount.

I can't speak for these departments, but if I were to guess, the need to have all new, new technology and a complete vehicle warranty. What does a remount cost? Braun used to do a bunch (might be dating myself here) as well as Frazer Bilt.

Hard to give an accurate figure since all remounts are not the same.

You could get a "basic" remount that essentially just puts the old body on a new chassis.

More expansive remounts could include completely new electrical systems, new floor, reupholstering, limited reconfiguring of the interior, all new lighting just to name a few things. All of this would greatly influence the amount of savings over a comparable new unit.

To the best of my knowledge, most manufacturers will perform remounts. There are also a number of non-manufacturers that will perform remounts.

I honestly think most places buy new because they don't save that much remounting... I could be wrong.

I honestly think most places buy new because they don't save that much remounting... I could be wrong.

That I am sure is a factor but additionally, I would imagine it is just plain easier to buy new then remount an existing module. Over the course of a rigs life the gear changes, the stretcher and stair chair get a little bulkier, you might want to store some new gear on there like forcible entry tools, rehab equipment, SCBAs and room for turn out gear on FD based ambulances or just simply trying a new more convenient configuration of the inside of the module.

We had one box remounted locally a few years back, and it turned out to be a disaster. Of course a professional remount would have been much better I'm sure. We've since looked into it a few times, but as others have said, there's not a huge savings and an 8-9 year old box typically doesn't have newer features either required or at least upgraded. Most of our boxes have interior issues at their retirement time: surfaces chipped, cracked or contaminating which becomes a contamination point for bodily fluids. Also door hinges and latches tend to be worn to the point of frequent adjustment, door seals need to be replaced, electrical issues start to crop up with more frequency, and most equipment warranties have lapsed. Now, I do know that many users of PL Custom ambulances claim their units have fewer of such issues and that the extra cost up front allows them better resale or a chance at remounting. Our units are typically lowest bid that meets spec.

Like fire trucks, newer ambulances use miles upon miles of electrical wiring and "smarter" sensors and such, all of which seem to actually diminish the life expectancy vs. prolong it. Given chassis prices and full unit prices, I'm guessing our ambulance boxes are about $75-90K new. Given the 8-9 year life expectancy we use (and that's at least one year too long)that's about $5-10K a year per unit we could save by remounting (depending on remount costs)to have an old box? Hardly seems worth it as compared to providing our patients with a new up to date mobile emergency room. Taht also fails to consider the $7.5-10K we get at trade-in.

I think remount considerations also include the mileage and hours on the vehicle itself. To remount a new box on a 8 or 9 year old vehicle with upwards of 100K on it may not be cost effective in the long run when engine issues and suspension issues creep up.

I think remount considerations also include the mileage and hours on the vehicle itself. To remount a new box on a 8 or 9 year old vehicle with upwards of 100K on it may not be cost effective in the long run when engine issues and suspension issues creep up.

Our thoughts were remounting the box on a brand new chassis. By far the reasons for our 8-9 year replacement plan is the chassis. We rarely put more than 75,000 miles on them, but the number of motor issues in years 7-9 make the units nearly unreliable, which is unacceptable in our minds. Of course we're running Ford type I chassis (F350's & F450's) exclusively. Some of the larger chassis made for commercial truck applications certainly are much more capable of higher mileages and ages.

Those are certainly factors that are normally included in determining when to remount. However, ambulance remounts are moving an existing patient module onto a new chassis. As such, the engine and suspension issues you mention wouldn't be present (unless the new chassis is a lemon like the 6.0 ;) ).

Excellance, which makes a very rugged module made with remounting in mind, is one manufacturer to spotlight here. Excellance modules have served in some of the nation's toughest EMS systems, like UMDNJ EMS in Newark, NJ-over and over again. Those streets and systems are punishing on the modules. However, some of those modules have been remounted 2,3 times onto new chasis. They hold up just fine. UMDNJ went with PL Custom for a bit to keep the business in NJ, but Medic 5 in East Orange always rained inside when it was raining outside, while those inside the Excellance modules were nice and dry.

I believe Excellance just completed their 1,000th remount as well.

http://www.excellance.com/remount.html

Look at the agencies around you. Are their ambulances that radically diffent then their preddecesor? And look at the Excellance sites, and see how practical a remount is.

My employer I believe is in the process of remounting one of their Type III Modulars onto a new chassis. It's been out and in the process for several months however, so it doesn't seem like the process is very short time-wise. Tho I'm not akin the background process so who knows, maybe there is some atypical technicality that is holding it up at the factory.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think MedStar here in Fort Worth as been remounting their modules onto new Chevy's, and adding chevrons on the rear.