Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest 29-Indigo

(Discussion) Montrose Fire 2-23-11

37 posts in this topic

What fairytale world do you live in...

The one where everyone on my crew goes home safely at the end of every run...

Stay safe brother

Wow I don't know if you cannot read or what but that is my mindset you notice I said if and depending on man power if you cannot protect your guys stay defensive dont go in that is always an option I do not care what building it is I do not and will never hold that higher then my team so next time read first then comment. I was simply stating some people get caught up on the fast team instead of adapting and over coming the issue what we as ffs should be able to do no matter what.

Wow I don't know if you cannot read or what but that is my mindset you notice I said if and depending on man power if you cannot protect your guys stay defensive dont go in that is always an option I do not care what building it is I do not and will never hold that higher then my team so next time read first then comment. I was simply stating some people get caught up on the fast team instead of adapting and over coming the issue what we as ffs should be able to do no matter what.

I read it and I disagree with it. FAST is not an option...it is a necessity. Does your department have a first alarm FAST? Any FAST? Do your members provide FAST as you stated?

I respectfully disagree with the statement and/or notion of using your own men as FAST in today's smaller and manpower challenged departments. Period.

I also strongly disagree that we should let buildings burn and fight them from the outside, in situations that would otherwise call for interioir attack. In the name of safety, we often forget who we are and our mission. We are firemen...those who are depended on when no one else can handle a situation or in times of peril. Our job is dangerous, and we know that. We are not wrapped in a bubble, nor is this kindegarten. The fireground is deadly, and we MUST walk a fine line between safety and our job. Firefighting is dangerous.

Keeping your men outside of a burning building doesnt keep them safe. Being well equipped, well trained, well practiced, and well lead keeps them safe.

Ok so you have a smoke charged room from a waste paper basket fire your fast dosnt get out your twiddling your thumbs ok 5mins not getting out call the next one 15mins out travel and dispatch time. Fire doubles in size every 30 seconds how big is it by the time you needed fast team is there. You made the statment fast is gospel on interior attacks so don't pick and choose your waiting with 10 ffs out side after the statement of no building should be left to burn for safety reasons who's the one with an issue here. I love how ones oppinion turns into a personal attack I am just stating in othere departments with a great group of ffs guess what fast is none existent and between them and there neibors they put out the same fires "remember we are firemen". Your prolly one of those kind of guys that wouldn't know what to do without a hydrent and 17 departments on first alarm to make the fire easy for you.

Please excuse the spelling and grammar I am on my cell at work.

No matter what everyones tactics are the end result needs to be the same everyone goes home.

Admin note to members posting in this thread: "191SH" has requested termination of his account. Therefore, he is unable to particpate any further in this thread.

No personal attack Brother. Not at all....I am just curious of what you meant by "use your own men"? FAST is something that I feel is very, very important, and honestly - there is no excuse for not having one at a fire...they might not get there within 10 minutes, but in more rural areas, that is common.

While it is OK in the intial stages of a job to use your men to satisfy 2 in 2 out, a seperate FAST TEAM, an actual group, complete with training a

tools should be on the way.

Oh - and given your scenario, be it that one, or a few rooms off on an upper floor.....I don't twiddle my thumbs at any fire...

But enough thread jacking...I was hoping to give you an experienced point of view, and satisfy my curiousity of your statements/SOP's....I try to never stop learning and was interested to learn what you meant...stay safe.

x635 likes this

Yes out where I am at least there are no fast teams close enough to consider so we fight and train that way. Just this past weekend since I am an officer now and I take it seriously I started trying things to be able to midigate the oh s**t moments like testing ideas out for being able to use one of our packs as a quick fix for no rit pack since all of our packs have the buddy breathing option they can be conected quick if a ff is trapped low on air his partner can hook in to suplement for the time untill another pack is brought in with tools to hook up. That's what I mean about adapting and over coming havin the ability to preform the duties that need be even without the team. I said it before I agree 1000% about a fast team but I also agree you should be able to do with out if need be cuz you can get trapped in the first 3sec. Or the last 20 mins so if the fast is on its way still need to use your guys to affect the rescue.