Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuckieboy44

Surplus Globe Gear

10 posts in this topic

we have approx 15 to 20 sets of surplus globe gear with pants&jackets any interested departments who need some gear please give me a pm...thanks chuck

PM sent

Edited by vzam2

How old is the gear? NFPA Standards state any gear more than 10 years old must be destroyed!!

How old is the gear? NFPA Standards state any gear more than 10 years old must be destroyed!!

I believe it says it must be tested every year after 10 years, unless they just changed it. But I too would like to know the date on it and how much for 1 set.

No. It must be retired as per NFPA standard 1851, chapter 10.2.1, 2008 edition.

"Structural fire fighting ensembles and ensemble elements shall be retired in a ccordance with 10.2.1, no more than 10 years from the date the ensembles oe ensemble elements were manufactured"

10.2.1 bascially says that the gear must be destroyed or disposed of in a manner that ensures they will no longer be used in any firefighting or emergency activities, including live fire training.

10.2.2 bascially says you CAN use it for training that does NOT include live fire, as long as it is marked as being for non live fire training only, and also as determined by the organization.

I read this as no amount of testing, cleaning, or repair can turn back the hands of time and make it less than 10 years old and good for anything other than training that doesnt include live burns. Im not a lawyer though. When I say basicaially, I didnt leave out any other parts of the standard, I just shortened the "Leagalese" as I dont have all day to retype it word for word.

Edited by 38ff

No. It must be retired as per NFPA standard 1851, chapter 10.2.1, 2008 edition.

"Structural fire fighting ensembles and ensemble elements shall be retired in a ccordance with 10.2.1, no more than 10 years from the date the ensembles oe ensemble elements were manufactured"

10.2.1 basciall says that the gear must be destroyed or disposed of in a manner that ensures they will no longer be used in any firefighting or emergency activities, including live fire training.

10.2.2 bascially says you CAN use it for training that does NOT include live fire, as long as it is marked as being for non live fire training only, and also as determined by the organization.

I read this as no amount of testing, cleaning, or repair can turn back the hands of time and make it less than 10 years old and good for anything other than training that doesnt include live burns. Im not a lawyer though.

Am I alone in thinking this 10 year rule is BS?

Am I alone in thinking this 10 year rule is BS?

It really depends on how much active fire duty/how much UV exposure/chemical exposure/wash cycles and all these other factors that the gear has been exposed to. It is almost impossible to permutate the different possibilities of gear exposure, so in an all encompassing statement, the NFPA states 10 years. You could have brand new gear that hasn't left the shelf in 10 years, or gear that is 5 years old, thats been through hell and high water, and is falling apart and needs to be replaced. Is it BS? I don't think so, it is just to safeguard the end user.

There is some thinking from the NFPA that the gear life time should be 5 years....... But current standards (2008) say 10. Stangely enough the turn out gear manufacturers themselves on the NFPA committee decided to abstain from that vote of reducing it to 5 years. Perhaps they thought that depts would be outside their factories with torches and ropes?

Alot of things happen to turnout gear that we cant see, as opposed to mechanical failure of seams, zippers, stitching, ect. UV degrdation, failure of the mositure barrier are 2 thing you CANT see..

How many depts get their geat hydrostatically tested? And no, Im not confused with how we test out air cylinders. Yours supposed to hydrostatically test moisture barriers for failure, its the only way to know they are working or not. This info came direct from a Turnout gear Manufacturers rep, not some sales guy.

Edited by 38ff