Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

Movement of Metro North equipment over Beacon Line today.

10 posts in this topic

For all the train buffs out there...Due to the wash out along Metro North's Danbury branch 3 locomotives and a group of coaches currently stranded in Danbury will be moved today along the mostly unused Beacon line. The train will depart from Danbury and head to Brewster at about 10mph, crossing the large bridge in Brewster behind the Honda dealership. There is no set time so keep your eyes open. Metro North moved two locomotives and 10-12 coaches yesterday. Here is a link to a thread on Railroad.Net. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=79811&p=908601. The trip yesterday took about three hours to complete.

Edited by grumpyff
M' Ave likes this

Where does this line run (what major towns)? And why does the train have to go 10mph? Is it unmaintained and they are worried about derailment?

Runs from Danbury, CT through Brewster, Patterson, Hopewell junction to Beacon,NY. Speed restrictions. Since the line is not maintained and most crossings must be flagged. Metro North owns the line in NY and bought it for future potential use. Currently it is o Lu used a couple of times a year

Edited by grumpyff

Is that the branch off of Rt 164 with the one lane bridge?

Edited by TL2L31

Yes it is but the train will not go that far west. Just north of Brewster it will switch on to the Harlem Line and proceed south into Brewster yard

It's been years since I've been in the area, but am I thinking that this is the line that runs over the trestle behind Brewster Honda?

It's been years since I've been in the area, but am I thinking that this is the line that runs over the trestle behind Brewster Honda?

Yes.

Realistically, the line that most of the move was on is not the Beacon Line but the HRRC (Housatonic Railroad) on the Connecticut side.

Grumpy, were those consists going to Put Jct? It was my understanding they were going to Stamford.

For all the train buffs out there...Due to the wash out along Metro North's Danbury branch 3 locomotives and a group of coaches currently stranded in Danbury will be moved today along the mostly unused Beacon line. The train will depart from Danbury and head to Brewster at about 10mph, crossing the large bridge in Brewster behind the Honda dealership. There is no set time so keep your eyes open. Metro North moved two locomotives and 10-12 coaches yesterday. Here is a link to a thread on Railroad.Net. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=79811&p=908601. The trip yesterday took about three hours to complete.

There are some great photos of this move floating around. Thanks for the heads up!!

It went to Grand Central and was broken up there. One mini (1 locomotive & 3 coaches) went back to Brewster, another mini went to Harmon and the Genesis with 7 coaches went into service. When I get home I will post photos that I took.