Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

DISCUSSION: Pelham Manor/Bronx Bus MCI - 03-12-11

67 posts in this topic

Westchester departments would have responded the same and would have done fine.

I find it funny that leo's responding to this thread have been very critical of westchester ff departments. I could post in the Leo threads within emtbravo and list all the negatives but I don't because it's unprofessional and I'm not a cop and butting in makes no sense, so please show some courtesy and respect.

When I applied to become a VFF in Westchester no one especiqlly the instructors teaching Fire 1 in Valhalla ever said anything like 30 volunteer FF = 1 Career FF.

Whether you are career or volunteer FF, when arriving on scene we are striving for the same goals.

When I sing in the shower each morning I am striving for the same goals as is Bono from U2...when I shoot hoops in my driveway I am striving for the same goals as Larry Byrd did in his time...when I decide where to invest in my extremely meager retirement accounts I am striving for the same goals as Warren Buffet...so far despite all my striving and good intentions, my results have not been the equivalent of theirs...

I find it funny that leo's responding to this thread have been very critical of westchester ff departments. I could post in the Leo threads within emtbravo and list all the negatives but I don't because it's unprofessional and I'm not a cop and butting in makes no sense, so please show some courtesy and respect.

When I applied to become a VFF in Westchester no one especiqlly the instructors teaching Fire 1 in Valhalla ever said anything like 30 volunteer FF = 1 Career FF.

Whether you are career or volunteer FF, when arriving on scene we are striving for the same goals.

I don't think the bulk of the comments were to say that the volunteer FF's are inherently not as good as career staff, but rather, that the unified command infrastructure and training in place in the FDNY system allowed those on scene to operate much more coherently and effectively. You can't argue that, Westchester units, with our mix of many different systems, lack of interoperability and response plans, and lack of unified command, would have faired as well.

helicopper likes this

I'm not sure to which posts you're referring because as I review the thread I see only a couple of LEO's posting and none of the criticism is directed at any FD's. There's some general criticism about EMS and a lot of criticism about emergency preparedness and disaster planning but I don't see the same thing you are.

It isn't unprofessional to discuss things and we're not "butting in", we're emergency responders in the same system. Some of us have over the years been intimately involved in disaster planning so we not only have a vested interest but significant experience to share. If you'd like to respectfully post criticism of the law enforcement system in Westchester you'd probably get a lot of agreement from the LEO's on the site.

I don't see anyone suggesting that 1 career FF = 30 volunteers so I don't know what prompted that comment.

Most of the experienced guys who've responded disagree with you. Westchester wouldn't have done fine, it would've been a mess and mutual aid isn't adequate for it. Some of the cops on this board are suprisingly well versed in our business and other things and I've never taken their input as uncourteous or disrespectful.

Are you talking about the ISO ratings regarding FF's? There is a difference between on duty and on call. The difference between most career and volunteer FF's is their training. Career guys get hundreds of hours before they hit the streets and there is no standard or requirement on the volunteer side. We can strive for the same thing but some are better prepared to acheive it then others.

helicopper likes this

When I sing in the shower each morning I am striving for the same goals as is Bono from U2...when I shoot hoops in my driveway I am striving for the same goals as Larry Byrd did in his time...when I decide where to invest in my extremely meager retirement accounts I am striving for the same goals as Warren Buffet...so far despite all my striving and good intentions, my results have not been the equivalent of theirs...

Really Larry Byrd? I strive to be Micheal Jordan when I play so I would love to play you one on one! :lol::P

helicopper likes this

My advice to you is:

1) A new singing coach.

2) You're not tall enough.

3) Have you tried the E-Trade baby?

helicopper likes this

I have just realized what is wrong with the discussions on this board. It's not that everyone doesn't agree on the solutions to our problems, rather, it appears we're not even all reading the same posts!

Dinosaur likes this