Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

Spy Shot - St Louis Very Unique Engine

18 posts in this topic

2,250 gpm pumpers. Water tank is uptop, hose bed is on a hydraulic bed in the rear compartment. Preconnects are in the rear step.

post-4072-0-31778500-1300931503.jpg

Open compartment is hosebed, center compartment above it has a booster reel and the tank is behind it. Right door is ladder compartment.

post-4072-0-78032500-1300931532.jpg

Hosebed extended (but not lowered yet) for packing

post-4072-0-05636000-1300931581.jpg

Side view, before lowering

post-4072-0-56798900-1300931629.jpg

Pump intakes and discharges (all on right side)

post-4072-0-35865600-1300931653.jpg

Rear step with preconnect lines

Gotta be super top-heavy and a rollover hazard no? Other than that very unique indeed.

Gotta be super top-heavy and a rollover hazard no? Other than that very unique indeed.

I thought so, but the engineers say the 500 gal of water and tank are the same weight as the hose and hosebed.

Yeah for the NFPA and chevrons for ruining fire photography! :angry:

Very unique rig indeed..any idea if this was the manufacturer or the department's brainchild?

Will they be able to deploy a line as rapidly as the "old way"?

Yeah for the NFPA and chevrons for ruining fire photography! :angry:

Very unique rig indeed..any idea if this was the manufacturer or the department's brainchild?

Will they be able to deploy a line as rapidly as the "old way"?

Yep.

Must have been the FD's since they had a number of them on the line. I wonder if this means the total quint is no longer the way to go

dont know

I wonder if this means the total quint is no longer the way to go

dont know

I don't know if it necessarily means that, but from what I've heard, St. Louis is switching some of the Quint Engine Companies back to "regular" pumpers. If I recall correctly, the companies getting switched will be the busier "Engine" Companies and the move appeared to be more financially driven than a change in philosophy regarding the TQC.

Not sure if I like it. I like to keep things simple, and the hosebed is just one more thing that can/will break at 0200 hours in -10 degree weather after a job. Nice touch putting preconnects in the rear bumper, but will there be a cover on it so it can be used as a step to access the booster line in the top compartment? While the water may weigh the same as a load of hose, hose doesn't tend to move around like water, especially after you dump only a portion of the tank, I.E you only use 250 of 500 gallons. Not trying to be negative, just some of the questions I can see.

I do like that the large diameter hose is keep away from the operator, on the right side. Never a fan of having to step over/around it.

Chevrons are a pain in the ... to photograph with a flash. If you can take the picture without the flash, the better it will turn out.

Edited by grumpyff

This is a very unique engine. Is this for St Louis fire dept?

why is everything on the right side?

Just taking a stab at it but it's probably because that is curbside.

I do like that the large diameter hose is keep away from the operator, on the right side. Never a fan of having to step over/around it.

As the other view, I would rather have it on the operators side. I always operate with one leg up against the hose so I can feel any change in pressure in the hose line, especially when getting fed from a tanker operation, before my pump starts to cavitate from a lack of water pressure.

Alpinerunner likes this

As the other view, I would rather have it on the operators side. I always operate with one leg up against the hose so I can feel any change in pressure in the hose line, especially when getting fed from a tanker operation, before my pump starts to cavitate from a lack of water pressure.

I never understood that. I have yet to see a pump operator able to just stay parked next to the panel leaning against the supply line. Usually too many jobs and not enough hands, especially at a drafting operation.

Not sure if I like it. I like to keep things simple, and the hosebed is just one more thing that can/will break at 0200 hours in -10 degree weather after a job.

While there's a certain logic to that, this hosebed appears to be the same one that they have been using on their front-line quints for the past 10 years or so. I'd think that if they'd been having problems with it, they wouldn't be including it on the pumper order.

@FFBlaser:

All of the intakes and discharges in the pump house are on the right hand side in order to keep them away from the pump operator. Also something that was incorporated into the last order of "engine" quints.

I agree with you 100% Johnny... when operating a pump, if you can not be touching the lines, seeing them allows you to keep a "eye" on things.... maybe its just old school, I just find it better... and once things are set up, and everyone has drifted away from the engine, an operator can just sit back a watch...

why is everything on the right side?

NFPA (not for practical application) :rolleyes:

NFPA (not for practical application) :rolleyes:

Great statement, care to site where in NFPA it requires this? I'l give you a hand NFPA 1901 is the apparatus standard and I cant find anything in the standard that requires it. Thats why our new engine and many other have discharges on both sides.