Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Police Unity Tour

4 posts in this topic

A very good friend of mine is riding in the Police Unity Tour to raise money to honor police officers killed in the line of duty. This 300 mile tour from Ground Zero to the Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial in Washington, DC takes place next month and Jack Schonely (who some of you may remember from the Suspect Tactics and Perimeter Containment training course last year) is riding in it.

Please consider making a contribution to this cause in Jack's name. The info on making an online contribution is below.

Thanks and stay safe!

Chris

(feel free to share this info with friends and colleagues!)

post-4772-0-48692600-1302904176.jpg

Dear friends,

Next month Jack Schonely will have the honor of riding in the memory of our fallen officers in the Police Unity Tour. This is a 300 mile bicycle ride from Ground Zero in New York to the National Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial in Washington D.C. over three days. On the final day thousands of us will ride into the memorial and later join in the Candlelight Vigil to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

To keep the memorial going, I am asking for your support in sponsoring me on this ride. Please take a moment and click on the Police Unity Tour banner on top to make your donation. (please scroll down to my name – "Jack Schonely" to support my ride for Ketchum and Libolt). All proceeds go to maintaining the National Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial so that none will ever be forgotten.

Please donate right away as this is our last week to raise support.

Thank you for your help and in remembering those who gave so much. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or would like further information.

If the link doesn't work in the banner, please go to:

(scroll to Jack Schonely to support)

<BR style="mso-ignore: vglayout" clear=all>(Click above if you would like to view the Candlelight Vigil)

This will be my 6th year riding in the Police Unity Tour and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my law enforcement career. I had never been to the Memorial or Police Week before, and riding a bike 300 miles to get there with my brother and sister officers was amazing. I would highly recommend the Police Unity Tour to anyone in law enforcement. Please consider making a donation to Chris' buddy Jack, the money goes to the National Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial Fund. The Tour has raised over $8.4 million dollars since it was started with 18 riders in 1997. The Tour gave $5 million to the new LE museum that is under construction across from the Memorial. Last year over $1.3 million was raised to restore the officer's names that are engraved on the memorial walls.

Raising money for the Memorial is the secondary purpose of the Tour. The primary purpose is to honor our fallen brother and sister officers. Our motto is "We Ride For Those Who Died". This year I will be riding for an officer who was killed in a crash. He worked in the town next to me and had backed me up on numerous calls.

Scott

PS. If anyone is interested in sponsoring me, send me a PM and I will send you my fundraising web page.

helicopper and BFD1054 like this

In addition to law enforcement officers, survivors of fallen officers are allowed to ride in the Police Unity Tour. Sgt Daniel Sakai and 3 of his fellow officers were murdered on 3/21/09. Last year I rode alongside Sgt. Sakai's older sister, who was honoring her brother.

post-1819-0-18944100-1302915007.jpg

post-1819-0-64872500-1302915090.jpg

post-1819-0-74856500-1302915280.jpg

We Ride for Those Who Died!

Scott

helicopper and BFD1054 like this

The 15th Police Unity Tour arrived at the Memorial in DC last week with well over 1000 officers and we raised a record 1.5 million dollars for the Memorial. Maryland State Police helicopter Trooper 6 took some great video of the ride here:

Scott