Followers 0
x635

Mock train wreck trains emergency crews

10 posts in this topic

Mock train wreck trains emergency crews

By HANNAN ADELY

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: April 10, 2005)

For 23 years, Metro-North has held disaster drills to prepare emergency workers to respond in case of a train wreck. Yesterday's drill in North White Plains, though, seemed especially important after the Jan. 25 train accident in Los Angeles that killed 11 people.

In the Los Angeles accident, a man parked his car on the railroad tracks, triggering a train collision and a massive emergency response. In yesterday's simulated wreck, a Metro-North train also had supposedly crashed into a car parked on the tracks.

"It's a learning experience for all of us on how to get through all of this," said George Walker, Metro-North vice president of operations. "The train accident in L.A. reinforced the need to get this done properly."

More than 20 local agencies participated in the drill, which was designed to ensure that emergency services are well-coordinated in case of a real tragedy. Seven fire departments, six police departments and six emergency medical teams responded to the scene. Emergency workers practiced safety precautions, including how to avoid the electrified third rail and how to enter the train cars in a cautious, quick manner.

Aboard the trains, 120 mock victims received emergency directions from police and fire officials, who combed the cars, assessing injuries. They evacuated the most seriously injured passengers first, after securing them on backboards and passing them through emergency doors.

Altogether, 18 passengers with mock injuries were taken by ambulance to White Plains Hospital Center, Westchester County Medical Center and Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, where hospital officials had set up triage stations.

One of the "injured" people was the train engineer, whose leg had to be amputated. He also suffered an arm fracture. Jeffrey Behm, who played the role of engineer, has participated in disaster drills for the past 18 years.

"One of these days, these guys may have to save my life and I want them to be trained in the safest, most expeditious manner," he said.

In case of a train crash in North White Plains, the Fairview Fire Department would be the first responders on the scene, said Fairview Deputy Fire Chief Paul Gerardi. So in yesterday's drill, the department set up an on-site command center and coordinated services. "If the real deal does happen," Gerardi said, "we need to be comfortable and get everyone on the same page."

Throughout the year, local officials get training for worst-case scenarios such as a train wreck, but this annual event comes closest to real-life training because of the extensive use of Metro-North facilities and the multi-agency coordination.

"The lives of our employees and customers are directly in your hands," Walker told volunteers shortly before the drill began. "The more time and experience we give you with our equipment, the better we'll be in an actual situation."

Anyone know who took place in the drill? I know WEMS sent two BLS crews, and I'd imagine Valhalla was there. And Fairview is first due to North White Plains Train Yard? That isn't North White (New Castle) district?

Fairview, Hartsdale, Greenville, White Plains, Valhalla, Scarsdale. I know there were more I forgot which departments.

Fairview: 2121, E175, E176, R3

Hartsdale: E170

NWPFD: 2321, E75

Scarsdale: E54

Valhalla: 2482, E84

White Plains: L34

GPD EMS, GPD Tech. Rescue

No. Castle PD

MTA Police

NY State Police

Greenburgh PD

WCDES: CC 1, CC 2, CC 5, CC 9, FC 1, Bat. 16, Bat. 19

Transcare: 5 rigs

WEMS: 2 rigs

Valhalla: 82B1

Tarrytown: 81B1

Armonk: 51B3

Anyone know who took place in the drill? I know WEMS sent two BLS crews, and I'd imagine Valhalla was there. And Fairview is first due to North White Plains Train Yard? That isn't North White (New Castle) district?

I think it is North White Plains Fire District....they had that fire right next store to the yard in that cement plant a little while back

Sounds like a interesting idea, mabe they will one day train for some sort of train fire similar to the one down in baltimore a few years back, well aside form the whole in the tunnel underground part cause i don;t believe there are any such tunnels up in westchester county but still, i think a train fire drill would be very interesting and a great practice for any department thatpart took because there is a potential for such a incident to happen.

The North White Plains train yard is actually in 3 differant fire districts, the majority being in North White Plains. The southern end of the yard is in the city of White Plains, The maitence building and parking lot where the drill was held is in Fairview. North White has the rails and a few buildings from the White Plains city line (about Fisher Lane) to the Virginia Road crossing at the northern end of the yard.

How about the people up north? I believe Croton Falls, Goldens Bridge, North Salem VAC, Bedford Hills and Katonah/KBHVAC all have train stations/tracks in their districts. Somers and Bedford would probably be the first M/A companies to arrive, probably along with Yorktown and Brewster too if needed.

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but shouldn't these departments have some training too?

Just a thought.

Especially considering KBHVAC has had two incidents in recent memory involving a train, one major. The other was a car into the side of a train parked in station. Might be a good idea to do something similar a little further up the line. However, I'm sure they used the yards so that a drill didn't block the tracks. Maybe something up at Brewster North and invite the surrounding agencies?

Metro-North conducts this drill every year in a different municipality. In recent memory, it's been held in New Rochelle and Chappaqua.

If you are strongly interested in learning more about rail line emergencies, I suggest you contact the MTA to request some basic training. Also, try suggesting to the county that they provide a course on this, and talk to the MTA about holding a drill in your community next year.

Long Island and Connecticut lines also have these yearly drills.